FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT


advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Zombie Recipe
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Zombie Recipe
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jun 13, 2006
Posts: 1286
From: Dog Patch - San Diego
Posted: 2007-08-21 10:37 am   Permalink

I did a side by side list of ingredients for the 1937 Zombie Punch, 1950 Spievak BBQ manual Zombie, 1956 DtB Zombie and 2001 Zombie from Beach's widow's book. Yes, I'm that bored.

While Spievak's drink may be good, it appears to be pretty far off ingredients wise. Surprisingly, Phoebe Beach's book recipe is pretty close to the 1956 recipe. Where it goes wrong is adding 2 ounces too much rum and omitting the pineapple juice.
_________________
"I am Lono!" -- Hunter S. Thompson


 
View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 18, 2006
Posts: 492
From: Gilbert AZ
Posted: 2007-08-21 10:55 am   Permalink

after attending the Drinkee Symposium(ee) at the Oasis last Sat.--am absolutely convinced that Beachbum Berrys Zombie with the cinnamon syrup assist is the BEST Zombie ever--email him for recipe'

 
View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Joined: Oct 04, 2004
Posts: 879
From: Portland, OR
Posted: 2007-08-22 08:07 am   Permalink

Quote:
Beachbum Berrys Zombie with the cinnamon syrup assist is the BEST Zombie ever--email him for recipe'



The recipe (and how to make the cinammon syrup) are in Sippin' Safari.

_________________


 View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 03, 2002
Posts: 5038
From: Hapa Haole Hideaway, TN
Posted: 2007-08-22 08:19 am   Permalink

I've said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again in this thread.

I have always loved the Mai Kai Zombie and urged everyone to try it. It is really different from the other Zombies out there. Then, I had the 1934 recipe from Sippin Safari and 'ding ding ding'! It's very much like the Mai Kai recipe! Turns out there's is the original, not a far off variation. Everyone else was way off the mark!
_________________

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!


 View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arnold_watson
Member

Joined: Aug 22, 2007
Posts: 4
Posted: 2007-08-23 12:29 am   Permalink

Hi! Please tell me a book for authentic Zombie drink recipe?..

Kevin
http://clearblogs.com/selfimprovementguide/




[ This Message was edited by: arnold_watson 2007-08-23 00:31 ]


 View Profile of arnold_watson Send a personal message to arnold_watson  Goto the website of arnold_watson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Apr 03, 2002
Posts: 5038
From: Hapa Haole Hideaway, TN
Posted: 2007-08-23 06:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-23 00:29, arnold_watson wrote:
Hi! Please tell me a book for authentic Zombie drink recipe?..

Kevin
http://clearblogs.com/selfimprovementguide/




[ This Message was edited by: arnold_watson 2007-08-23 00:31 ]



Go to
www.swankpad.org/blather and click on the SHOP button up top. You'll find a link to Sippin Safari there and all answers are inside.
_________________

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!


 View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
defaultet
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Nov 28, 2006
Posts: 23
From: California
Posted: 2008-05-04 09:48 am   Permalink

Last night I tried the Don The Beachcomber Zombie recipe found on pg. 33 of Intoxica! Um, that's a hell of a lot of citrus! I don't think I've had a zombie before with a full ounce of lemon AND lime juice, in addition to pineapple juice. I thought it turned out really good, actually, but I did not have passion fruit syrup (used Grenadine instead). Do you think that might have fucked the recipe? Also, did not really have crushed ice, so that might have a difference as well.

Otherwise, good result. It's a lot of work to juice all the fruit and what not. I might do it for special occasions but I think I'll cheat a little and buy some juice from the grocery store. I saw some kind of high-end lime juice that looked good.

Anyway, here's the recipe:

1 oz. unsweetened pineapple juice
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
1 oz. fresh lime juice
1 oz. passion fruit syrup (replaced by Grenadine by me)
teaspoon brown sugar
dash Angostura bitters
1 oz. gold Puerto Rican rum
1 oz. 151 Demerara rum
1 oz. white Puerto Rican rum

Dissolve sugar in lemon juice. Shake everything well with crushed ice and pour into Collins glass. Garnish with mint spring (did not get the mint sprig)


 
View Profile of defaultet Send a personal message to defaultet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jan 01, 2008
Posts: 704
From: LBCTIKI
Posted: 2008-05-04 12:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-04 09:48, defaultet wrote:
Last night I tried the Don The Beachcomber Zombie recipe found on pg. 33 of Intoxica! Um, that's a hell of a lot of citrus! I don't think I've had a zombie before with a full ounce of lemon AND lime juice, in addition to pineapple juice. I thought it turned out really good, actually, but I did not have passion fruit syrup (used Grenadine instead). Do you think that might have fucked the recipe? Also, did not really have crushed ice, so that might have a difference as well.

Otherwise, good result. It's a lot of work to juice all the fruit and what not. I might do it for special occasions but I think I'll cheat a little and buy some juice from the grocery store. I saw some kind of high-end lime juice that looked good.

Anyway, here's the recipe:

1 oz. unsweetened pineapple juice
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
1 oz. fresh lime juice
1 oz. passion fruit syrup (replaced by Grenadine by me)
teaspoon brown sugar
dash Angostura bitters
1 oz. gold Puerto Rican rum
1 oz. 151 Demerara rum
1 oz. white Puerto Rican rum

Dissolve sugar in lemon juice. Shake everything well with crushed ice and pour into Collins glass. Garnish with mint spring (did not get the mint sprig)



I think you would like it a whole lot better with the passion fruit syrup. I use the Finest Call Passion Fruit Puree, it's pretty tasty and it actually has real passion fruit in it. (unlike the current Trader Vic's version). I made the 1934 Zombie Punch the other night, but I really think I screwed it up by adding too much Herbsaint. That stuff is really powerful! It made the whole thing taste like a Good and Plenty candy. Oh yeah...never cheat with lime juice. I've learned that the hard way!


 
View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
defaultet
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Nov 28, 2006
Posts: 23
From: California
Posted: 2008-05-04 10:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to look for that passion fruit syrup you mentioned.

Actually, I realized today that I have a passion fruit liqueur that I bought in St. Maarten. It's 30% alcohol. Since 30% alcohol will be replacing syrup, I was thinking of reducing the 151 to a 1/2 oz. and changing the gold rum 1 1/2 ounces. I think it will still be more alcoholic but oh well.

Does Trader Joe's have a good selection of stuff that can be used in drinks, like passion fruit syrup, etc?



 
View Profile of defaultet Send a personal message to defaultet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gonegoannas
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Jan 28, 2008
Posts: 53
From: Long Beach, CA
Posted: 2008-05-05 07:36 am   Permalink

I don't think you can get away with replacing passion fruit syrup with a passion fruit liquor, it will not taste the same. The Trader Joes by me only has Torni syrup which I have never used. Larger liquor stores tend to sell Finest Call mixers and as previous stated there Passion Fruit "puree" is very good. Also, since you are in California Bevmo does carry it as well. Good Luck.

Jeff


 
View Profile of gonegoannas Send a personal message to gonegoannas  Email gonegoannas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Mar 26, 2004
Posts: 282
From: Now, Ocala Florida
Posted: 2008-05-05 11:26 am   Permalink

I used to use the Trader Vic's passion syrup until they changed the recipe and put in plastic bottles....yuk!! Now I use Monin, as I was told that it is one of the last to still use real passion fruit. I have also heard good things about Torani as well. I haven't tried the finest call that everyone is raving about. I do however agree with Beachbum Berry from Sippin Safari that the Monin brand passion fruit is a little orangey tasting, but not much more than the Trader Vic's was. I found a way to remedy that by adding in the Tropical Fruit syrup also made by Monin...and to me this is what I imagine Fassionola to have tasted like. These 2 syrups combined in the Don the Beachcomber's Zombie in Intoxica make a far superior drink than the old Trader Vic's Passion Fruit Syrup ever did... IMHO.
_________________
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."


 
View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Joined: Jan 01, 2008
Posts: 704
From: LBCTIKI
Posted: 2008-05-05 3:47 pm   Permalink

The main problem with the 1934 Zombie is that it's a hell of a lot of work for one drink! To make one single drink I had to dirty my lime squeezer, 2 shot glasses (one to make Don's Mix in), the blender, the ice crusher, and the measuring spoon set. Never mind the fact that the night before I had to wait two hours for my cinnamon syrup to set! But, my second attempt was much better than the first. Now I need to score some Maraschino liqueur to make the 1956 Zombie as well.

 
View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Feb 26, 2008
Posts: 93
From: Los Angeles, CA
Posted: 2008-05-06 09:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-05 15:47, Jason Wickedly wrote:
The main problem with the 1934 Zombie is that it's a hell of a lot of work for one drink! To make one single drink I had to dirty my lime squeezer, 2 shot glasses (one to make Don's Mix in), the blender, the ice crusher, and the measuring spoon set. Never mind the fact that the night before I had to wait two hours for my cinnamon syrup to set! But, my second attempt was much better than the first. Now I need to score some Maraschino liqueur to make the 1956 Zombie as well.



True! But, when I mix these up for friends and family, I have an audience which is mesmerized with the build of the drink. Afterward, when they drink a Zombie, there is a hushed awe and reverence, and smiles. So, its compexity is both its blessing and its curse.

[ This Message was edited by: bewarethe151 2008-05-06 12:23 ]


 
View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Joined: Jun 23, 2006
Posts: 464
From: Stuart, Florida
Posted: 2008-05-07 6:35 pm   Permalink

I did not find the Zombie Punch (1934) complicated to mix at all. However, I did substitute the following:

Appleton Extra for the V/X
Cruzan Single Barrel Estate rum for the gold Puerto Rican
The new Lucid Absinthe Superieure for the Pernod (I noticed Absinthe listed on the photo of the notebook page on page 123 of Sippin' Safari)
and Monin Pomgranate syrup for the grenadine.

As for the Don's Mix, I just pour 3oz of grapefruit juice and 1.5 pz of cinnamon-infused syrup in a small plastic pourable jar and shake it up to blend - enough for 8+ Zombies.

The results: A truly Amazing drink with the rum blends taking the lead accented by the other ingredients - ultimately creating a very potent yet harmonious drink.

And yes . . . only TWO to a customer!


_________________

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GH

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2008-05-08 07:13 ]


 
View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Joined: Mar 05, 2006
Posts: 66
Posted: 2008-05-08 7:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-05 11:26, The Ragin' Rarotongan wrote:
I used to use the Trader Vic's passion syrup until they changed the recipe and put in plastic bottles....yuk!! Now I use Monin, as I was told that it is one of the last to still use real passion fruit. I have also heard good things about Torani as well. I haven't tried the finest call that everyone is raving about. I do however agree with Beachbum Berry from Sippin Safari that the Monin brand passion fruit is a little orangey tasting, but not much more than the Trader Vic's was. I found a way to remedy that by adding in the Tropical Fruit syrup also made by Monin...and to me this is what I imagine Fassionola to have tasted like. These 2 syrups combined in the Don the Beachcomber's Zombie in Intoxica make a far superior drink than the old Trader Vic's Passion Fruit Syrup ever did... IMHO.




I don't know why nobody's using the Passion fruit syrup from Taiwan. While maybe not the easiest thing to find, it's worth the work, and there's pictures of it on many a thread, though the label seems to change from shipment to shipment. Sometimes its a syrup, sometimes they call it "Passion drink" but it's all the same. Square bottle with a red cap. Best tasting passion fruit syrup I've ever tasted and no HFC. Just passion fruit sugar and preservatives. Go to china town and find it when you have a free sunday.



[ This Message was edited by: Registered Astronaut 2008-05-08 19:18 ]


 
View Profile of Registered Astronaut Send a personal message to Registered Astronaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:
  
v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation