FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Zombie Recipe
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Zombie Recipe
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 09:18 am   Permalink

Am I the only one who's still not convinced about the 1934 Zombie? Specifically, Bum never questions whether 'Don's Mix' is the same as 'New Don's Mix'. I mean The Bum maintains it's plausible that the Zombie Punch evolved into the Spievak Zombie. Then why wouldn't New Don's Mix be as different from Don's Mix as the "old" and "new" Zombies?

It's a great recipe and Jeff Berry deserves all the credit in the world but I still think this might not be THE Zombie.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 09:59 am   Permalink

Well, I'm in the process of putting together the 1934 recipe for a tasting, and I'm thinkin', "This is a significant recipe."

Now, the one-and-only first time Donn made this drink, was this the exact recipe? Maybe, maybe not. The second time Donn made this drink, was this the recipe? Who knows.

The Bum says I'm gonna love this drink and this recipe has some place in history, so that's good enough for me.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
snackbar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 10:06 am   Permalink

I think the Spievak Zombie is fake, I don't think that Don would really give his recipe to Spievak.
The '56 Zombie however, has a lot of similar ingredients to the Zombie Punch. As this was served at the Beachcomber, it seems plausible to me that the '34 evolved into the '56.

lilyscarlet.com

View Profile of snackbar Send a personal message to snackbar  Goto the website of snackbar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thunderlips
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 5:20 pm   Permalink

Pappy, you're a troublemaker!

View Profile of Thunderlips Send a personal message to Thunderlips  Goto the website of Thunderlips     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-09 8:49 pm   Permalink

You know, I hate to say it but I was thinking the same thing about the Don's Mix. If cinnamon syrup was #4, what was #2? And was cinnamon syrup the only ingredient in Spices #4? Can anyone tell I'm drinking a '34 Zombie right now? Whatever, it's still a hell of a drink and a major improvement over the Spievak.

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-10 11:55 am   Permalink

Tried the 1934 recipe last night, loved it, but it's tricky. As with many of these, you've got to be exact or the balance is off. I mean, it goes without saying, right? And of course with the rum-and-three-fruit-juices type of drinks there is no balance at all to mess up.

I'll be making the 1934 recipe for a group of business friends on Wednesday afternoon. It should be a good time.

(Oh, and I used Lucid Absinthe, 3 drops.)

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-17 7:18 pm   Permalink

Research, research, research! Still fine tuning a modern version of the 1934 recipe, here's what I've got:

-3/4 oz. fresh lime juice
-1/2 oz. Starbuck's cinn. sugar
- 11/2 oz. Appleton Estate V/X
- 1 1/2 oz. Cruzan Eastate Rum
- 1 oz. Bacardi 151 Rum
- dash of bitters
- 3 drops of Lucid Absinthe
- 1/2 oz. gredadine
- small spash of pineapple juice
- 6oz. of crushed ice
Blend all for 5 seconds having added the crushed ice last.
Fill chimney glass, add ice to fill glass and garnish with sprig of mint

Note that as a Lipidor user I've left out he grapefruit juice that would go with the cinn/sugar. And until I get to Illinois I can't find any demerara 151 rum.

Tastes pretty good to me!

defaultet
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-18 10:32 pm   Permalink

Regarding my attempts at making the Don the Beachcomber Zombie (p. 33 of Intoxica)...

I tried it again with Trader Vic's passion fruit syrup. More or less the same result but tasted better than Grenadine.

Tried it also with a passion fruit liquor (30% alcohol). I halved the amount of 151 because of this. And then I added a little guavaberry liquor (30% alcohol) for color. This I thought tasted better.

I don't know, I think this particular recipe in general just has too much overpowering citrus. I've had other zombies that just plain taste better, the ones that use orange juice or orange curacao.

View Profile of defaultet Send a personal message to defaultet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 08:57 am   Permalink

About the grenadine...I've been using the Stirrings brand because it has real pomegranate and all that, but I don't think it has as much red dye. As a result, my drink turns out an orangish-brown color, not the red color that the "Zombiefied" Jeff Berry is holding on page 120 of "Sippin' Safari". Should I use Rose's Grenadine to try to duplicate that color? Or any other suggestions?

[ This Message was edited by: Jason Wickedly 2008-05-19 08:58 ]

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-19 10:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-19 08:57, Jason Wickedly wrote:
About the grenadine...I've been using the Stirrings brand because it has real pomegranate and all that, but I don't think it has as much red dye. As a result, my drink turns out an orangish-brown color, not the red color that the "Zombiefied" Jeff Berry is holding on page 120 of "Sippin' Safari". Should I use Rose's Grenadine to try to duplicate that color? Or any other suggestions?

Jason, I, too, noticed the same color variation. Most of the time, I am mixing these up and drinking them, one after another(usually more than 2), in an unlit closet adjacent to my den so the color is unimportant. But, when I serve for friends, I like them to have more appeal. I put a drop of red food dye, organic, of course, into each drink. It does the trick. I feel this is better than compromising the taste by using a lesser grenadine.

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 12:45 pm   Permalink

Hey Bongo, you really must get your hands on some Demerara 151. Until then, you simply haven't had a 1934 zombie. There's just no comparison between it and Bacardi 151. The only really positive thing I can say about Bacardi 151 is it makes a really nice flame when you light it up!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-19 12:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-19 10:37, bewarethe151 wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-05-19 08:57, Jason Wickedly wrote:

Jason, I, too, noticed the same color variation. Most of the time, I am mixing these up and drinking them, one after another(usually more than 2), in an unlit closet adjacent to my den so the color is unimportant. But, when I serve for friends, I like them to have more appeal. I put a drop of red food dye, organic, of course, into each drink. It does the trick. I feel this is better than compromising the taste by using a lesser grenadine.

Thanks, I'll try it. By the way, anyone in the SoCal area...Hi-Time Cellars has a nice Zombie glass for $1.99 each. They were labeled that way on the shelf too...not chimney or Collins glasses, but Zombie glasses. I picked up 4 of them.

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-21 11:11 pm   Permalink

finally the perfect ceramic mug for the Zombie drink
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28412&forum=12&8

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-23 02:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-19 12:45, GatorRob wrote:
Hey Bongo, you really must get your hands on some Demerara 151. Until then, you simply haven't had a 1934 zombie. There's just no comparison between it and Bacardi 151. The only really positive thing I can say about Bacardi 151 is it makes a really nice flame when you light it up!

Rob, I know you are right! I've found some liquor stores that are supposed to carry El Dorado in Chicago which is about 21/2 hours away. As soon as I can get there, I'm so there! (For the effort, I wish they had Lemon Hart.)

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-23 08:59 am   Permalink

our local alterna-rag mentioned making jeff berry's zombie and i was all, alright!

then i read on and they said they made it with ruby red and bacardi

http://bob.citypaper.com/special/story.asp?id=15744

i did not DIG...

mixed feelings... hopefully they might be inclined to make it better the second time around.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation