FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Preparing Palm Logs?!?!?!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Preparing Palm Logs?!?!?!
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-21 3:45 pm   Permalink

Ok Nix ...... spill!

Is this number "one" carved with a Furniture Hammer and a sharpened screwdriver, or.....?

Nice entry by what ever means...and in today's rains, I would have to assume small rotor or chisels.

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-21 5:37 pm   Permalink

lol!! "one"? Not sure what you mean...and yea it was all chisels...still have lots of sanding and smoothing to do, nowhere near finished so we'll see how it comes out

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-21 6:41 pm   Permalink

Nice work Mr. President! I must admit I feel real sorry for you that the sun did not come out today. I too had some trouble as I had to shovel the damn ice for the third time in a week! All complaining aside; take it as jealousy as I hate the cold and wish I had your weather. Your work looks real nice. I have not had any experience with carving palm woods. I must admit I scanned quickly through the posts. I use a a draw knife (plane?) to take off the bark. I will then use a grinder to smoothe things out if necessary. For me, it is a dirty/ dusty job. It does not work well in a closed environment and I am usually forced outside to cut down on the dust.

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-21 7:32 pm   Permalink

I can only imagine what its like having to shovel snow...that sucks man.

Thank you for the kind words...im still getting my feet wet so any tips or advice would be great!!

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wplugger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-22 05:30 am   Permalink

Great for your first carve. ["#one"]
#2, carve deeper.

View Profile of wplugger Send a personal message to wplugger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-22 6:50 pm   Permalink

Ok McTiki, this time I used the sledgemahher and an ice pick Hope that tanker fire didnt cause too much of a headache for ya!:)
Just a couple more progress pics from today...I tried to add a little more depth. Still need to sand and stain and then she should be finished. Let me know what yta think.

Hope everubody is having a great weekend!

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-23 05:56 am   Permalink

That's an awesome first Mr. NIX!

Depth is your friend. (unless of course, you are carving a twig)

Bet you wore out your arm tapping that ice pick!

Tanker fire has offered me a road less traveled for tomorrow.

Mahalo

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-23 08:22 am   Permalink

lol...yea i def got a workout from the sledge...and I wish I could say that this is my first...but it isn't...more like 5 or 6...I didn't feel the others were worthy of posting so I started with this one.

Anyway...Glad to hear you will be exploring more of the island and stay safe...ill post some pics of the finished product soon!!

NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-25 3:05 pm   Permalink

Ok well here it is...I believe im finished. Some sanding, couple ciats of stain, and a couple coats of polyurethane. Im pretty happy with the results. Now its time to start on the next

pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-25 3:11 pm   Permalink

Very cool!

I almost forgot...I also go over them with the angle grinder / flap wheel AFTER I chainsaw the bark off just to smooth 'em for the draw-out.

Takes maybe 5 minutes.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-26 03:56 am   Permalink

Looking real nice Mr. NIX.

Whats next?

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-26 07:22 am   Permalink

Use one of the big logs!!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-27 06:06 am   Permalink

Thank you McTiki...I am very pleased with the outcome. They should only get better from here on out...I hope, lol.

Not sure whats next...but i'm very excited to get started

Aloha, I think I want to knock out a few more smaller sized ones and get a bit more comfortable with carving before tackling one of the big boys...but soon enough!

I just scored this beast the other day! 7.5 Feet! Awwwwe Yeeeea!!!

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-29 9:23 pm   Permalink

Well done. Some nice cuts going on there.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 3:34 pm   Permalink

Here are a few pics from todays progress on the next one...I AM HOOKED!!!!!!

Still have a little sanding and then staining to do so ill post the pics up when its finished...please critique!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation