FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » What is your "go to" cocktail in your home bar.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
What is your "go to" cocktail in your home bar.
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-22 07:40 am   Permalink

Seems like the Mai Tai has been my go to cocktail in my home bar for some time now. It's the cocktail I always make first thing for our cocktail nights. The first cocktail sets the evening mood while I am perusing the recipe books for other selections. My wife always orders up a classic rum and vodka Blue Hawaii. Just wondering if other folks have a "go to" cocktail or is this just the start of OCD.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dcman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-22 08:37 am   Permalink

My version of the painkiller, created when I misread the recipe while trying out some additions, but I like it more than the original. And, I make it in bulk. It's good for parties and for breakfast without the rum.

Pitcher:
48 ounces fresh orange juice
12 ounces pineapple juice
12 ounces of guava nectar (In Latin section of my grocery store)
1-15 ounce can of cream of coconut (Coco Lopez is official, but others will work)
3 ounces fresh lime juice

mix well and often -

fill a highball glass or small-medium sized tiki mug with ice,

add 1 1/2 ounces of rum (Pussers rum makes it official)

fill glass with mix to fill the glass

top with fresh grated nutmeg (do NOT use pre-grated nutmeg, it will ruin your drink, grate your own at the bar, fresh whole nutmeg can be found in the spice section of most stores)

At parties, I always go through 2-3 times as many painkillers as I do any other drink.

dcman

(trick #1 - the cream of coconut has a tendency to separate - head this off at the pass by pre-mixing the cream of coconut and some of the juices in a blender or bowl, then blend or whisk or otherwise find a way to break up the lumps. Doing this ahead of time makes the drink creamier and non-chunky later on)

View Profile of dcman Send a personal message to dcman  Goto the website of dcman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-22 09:06 am   Permalink

We alternate among several “go to” cocktails at our home bar:

1) The Mai Tai in either of two versions… the Moon Islander Mai Tai (
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26860&forum=1&vpost=488554&hilite=moon islander mai tai) or the Royal Mai Tai (http://www.imbibemagazine.com/Royal-Mai-Tai-Cocktail-Recipe, and I do offer my apologies in advance for offending the Bum and other purists who quite rightly point out that orange and pineapple juices never had any place in a classic Mai Tai, but these recipes are pleasing to our tastes

2) A stripped down version of the Zombie made to Trader Tiki’s recipe using his Don’s Mix (recipe on the label), quite easy to make and oh so calming…

3) Margaritas on the rocks simply mixed from reposado, Cointreau and fresh lime juice, a lovely drink anytime, though I suppose it doesn’t count as a tiki drink

dcman: your Painkiller recipe looks intriguing; I'll give it a try at my next gathering of like-minded tipsters

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-22 1:18 pm   Permalink

The "tiki" cocktails I most commonly make at home are mojitos and dark & stormys. This is because they are relatively easy to make. When I want a real tiki cocktail, I most commonly make either a mai tai or a zombie. When making zombies I usually use the DTB "Speivak" version.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-23 2:27 pm   Permalink

Currently, the Scorpion. Why? The lemon trees and orange trees are blooming where I live.

Also, I am making a lot of Reverb Crashes. Why? I need to use up my Passion Fruit syrup. And, you guessed it, my grapefruit tree needs picking.

Next Saturday, it will be Rum Barrels and Scorpions for a tiki drink party I am having in Palm Desert.

My Key Lime tree has lost the last of its fruit, but I still find a few on the ground. When I do, I go to my grapefruit tree and its Navy Grogs.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-23 3:08 pm   Permalink

dcman's Painkiller is more than intriguing, it is fantastic.

Just ask anyone who was at Ohana Luau at the Lake 2009!

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-23 5:19 pm   Permalink

traders mai tai for me, rum runners for the wife

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-23 7:14 pm   Permalink

After working in the yard, Dark and Stormy. I actually make what I call After the Storm and use Fresca in place of the Ginger Beer. Refreshing.

After a hard day at the Office, Mai Tai's are my first choice, Jet Pilots take a close second.

If I'm making a batch of something for company, I go for the Mai Kai's Derby Daiquiri. Simple, tasty, refreshing.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-23 7:43 pm   Permalink

I usually make folks a Mai Tai. And I try my best to replicate the T.V. version...but sometimes, if I don't think they'll care...I won't use Martinique rum (shhhh).

I also like serving my
Kanaloa Kannibal.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-01-24 06:39 am   Permalink

Quote:
I don't think they'll care...I won't use Martinique rum (shhhh)

I'm the same way

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-24 09:10 am   Permalink

151 Swizzles are the ladies' favorites, and DtB Navy Grog for the men folk. In summer, a pitcher of Derby Daiquiris. Lately my Head Shrinker is becoming a favorite.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-26 6:48 pm   Permalink

for the ladies its a Rum Runner or a Singapore Sling.

for the fellas its a Sazerac or a Manhattan.

for just my wife and I unwinding its an Aviation, Sidecar, or La Paloma.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-27 09:50 am   Permalink

Depends on the person of course, but my current "go-to" list includes:

Sweet: Whisky Sour

Sweet, but different: Trinidad Sour

Strong:
Manhattans, including a the Mediterranean Manhattan, made with Tuaca
Sazaracs, or for the rum-inclined, a Smuggler's Notch

Tiki: a Mai Tai or a Singapore Sling, or since TornadoTiki made an awesome firebowl, we'll make a Scorpion Bowl

For the ladies: a Mary Pickford, or a Pisco sour

For large groups, I'll make a batch of Whisky-Cider punch of my own devising using bourbon, Navan, lemon juice and maple syrup.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-01 3:59 pm   Permalink

If I'm feeling lazy a Mai Tai or sometime a Daquari if I feel like working for it a Jet Pilot.

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-01 6:18 pm   Permalink

Pretty much ditto.

Jet Pilots tonight, as a matter of fact!

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation