FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Why Destroy Tiki Palaces?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
Why Destroy Tiki Palaces?
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 6:34 pm   Permalink

Why Destroy Tiki Palaces?

I mean, what's the reason? Is there any reason? Or are all hotel managers mindless Venusian robots? As an example, the Hanalei Hotel (I refuse to call it the Crown Plaza) is where Otto has his Big Party. It was scooped out a few years ago apparently for no reason.

These photos are great examples (thanks to Humuhumu, etc.) of the Hanalei Hotel being gutted, this ain't for the weak of stomach so VIEW WITH CAUTION.

Waterfall:

NO Waterfall!

Or to really be brutal,
BEFORE:

AFTER:

I mean, HOLY CRAP that's HORRIBLE! Here is what they did;

1. They've made a really amazing, unique, desirable destination hotel that lifts you out of your regular world into a cream-and-beige boring nightmare that is actually less interesting and attractive than your parents kitchen.

2. They've sapped every single bit of imagination from every wall, ceiling, and floor.

3. Even the menu is boring now; the Islands restaurant used to sell pretty good Polynesian items, and some decent seafood. They now sell beef sandwiches.

4. There is a sushi bar around the corner now. Give them credit.

5. The bar is just as boring.

6. There appears to be no chance ever in the future of having any entertainment anywhere on the grounds, let alone the bar, unless you bring your own stage and pay the groups like Our Man Otto.

7. The entire outside front entrance to the hotel is if anything worse, it's done in corporate glass style, meaning if you don't know what to do, build a glass wall.

So - WHY? Why do this? You would think that MORE people would like a good restaurant than a bad one, more flowers and waterfalls instead of less. Why not do exactly the opposite; why not put in MORE TIKI's????

And - this isn't an aimless ramble. Otto's Tiki Oasis is by FAR the hotel's biggest event. Even the features still left (the great atrium and the general design) bring in more people than any other event all year. So why DO THIS TO THE HANALEI?

Here's the deal - I KNOW WHY. Someone at another hotel TOLD ME. I had forgotten our conversation until this morning, and then realized that I actually know why hotels DO THIS. I know why they paint things beige. I know why a lot of Tiki Hotels have been torn down or remodeled beyond recognition. This reason probably is true of a good many Tiki Bars, too.

I KNOW.

But I want to get everybody thinking a bit about it, so I'm making this a contest.
Post answers, no matter how wild, and if anybody comes even close to the answer....

I'll mail them a SOLID BLACK OKI DOKI MUG.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 6:59 pm   Permalink

hmmm. beige is more universally acceptible by the beige minded masses.
who cant fathom particiating in anything beyond their pre apprtoved comfort zone. and if its in color or remotely exotic then it must be anti conservative and therefor subject to ridiclue and mocking,
beigey blandness makes peopl act sedated and they wont "act up" and have a good time whic could cost the hotel money if rooms get trashed.
Im just tryingto get as many ideas in one post as possible

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 7:02 pm   Permalink

am I warm. amI cold?

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 7:04 pm   Permalink

Re?: maintenance issues

i.e. original visionary owner has died and the passion they held for the project is lost on subsequent owners etc. In other words homogenize the environment as much as possible and reduce potential liabilities to reduce costs.

- just a wild guess I guess.

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 7:08 pm   Permalink

I was just going to say DUST TRAPS

Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 7:09 pm   Permalink

Insurance

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-31 7:18 pm   Permalink

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS bows to THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR

Beige is the least offensive color available:
Any shade of red might offend the Democrats
Any shade of blue might offend the Republicans
Any shade of green might offend the Big Oil Corporations
Any shade of pink might offend the Homophobes
Any shade of black might offend the Racists
Ad nauseum

Offended people don't spend MONEY and MONEY is the only thing that matters

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 8:02 pm   Permalink

Because all that Tiki stuff needs dusting
and a beige soul-less interior is easier to dust and to clean...

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfalaia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 8:07 pm   Permalink

I lost track of the question (beer was involved). It it why ruin tiki palaces? Or why F-up the Hanalei with creme and beige unoriginality? I'll (burp) try to answer both.

1. Why ruin tiki palaces? Because individually operated hotels are no longer individually operated. Therefore, formerly individually operated hotels must be corporate operated. Corporate operated hotels need to be familiar to their clientele. The guest doesn't give a shit that he (or she) is in San Diego. The guest wants the warm, homogenic comfort of knowing he (or she) is in a MARRIOTT hotel. Oh, and there's tikis, so I must be at the beach! Maybe I DO give a shit!!

2. Why F-up the Hanalei with creme and beige unoriginality? Because the Hanalei is in San Diego. Outside of Tiki Oasis, the only patronage the (former) Hanalei enjoys is Southwest Airlines stewardesses and tourists from Phoenix. I have nothing bad to say about Soutwest Airlines stewardeses. Lovely ladies (with the occasional fellow - although less lovely. Pardon my bias). However, tourists from Phoenix are another story. The only (likely) reason the tourist from Phoenix made it as far as the (former) Hanalei is because "The Dunes" were sold out. The (former) Hanalei knows this this, and thus decorated in a colour scheme that they knew Phonecians would appreciate. Desert dwellers are not pre-disposed to vivid colours. Beige and creme works. Second, San Diego is a tourist draw, whether the vacationers are from Phoenix or not. Is there any reason to have a theme, tiki or otherwise? They are going to sell rooms every Spring Break and Summer vacation regardless.

Tiki is just not as big a deal as we think it is.

View Profile of surfalaia Send a personal message to surfalaia      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 9:28 pm   Permalink

Here's hint #1; you folks are taking this WAY too personally. It's not a personal issue. That's what's always clouded the issue for me too.

Hint #2; Dust has nothing to do with it - they have to dust the place anyway, and management doesn't dust, so who cares? They dust the Tikis out in the atrium area. No problem. The dust thing is an easy fallback, but I'd call it an Urban Legend at this point.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 9:45 pm   Permalink

beige photographs better

Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 10:10 pm   Permalink

Because unless it's a resort destination with restaurants, golf, beach, marina etc., the bread and butter hotel business is with the work week business travelers. If a place has the resources, meetings and catered events are the next big money makers. Hanalei had a noisy location next to a freeway, terrible parking, no views and an aged concept and facilities. The Crown Plaza now has a noisy location next to a freeway, terrible parking, no views, but bland businessman type amenities, which is what brings in the bland businessmen with money.
There are reasons why Tiki faded away. $$. The Hanalei/Crown Plaza stood and still stands for one reason only and that's to make the most $$. Sadly, Tiki ain't it anymore. Just ask the Fairmont hotel in S.F. (*sigh*)

View Profile of Okolehao Send a personal message to Okolehao  Goto the website of Okolehao     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-01-31 10:49 pm   Permalink

Well said Cammo, and great comparison pictures. I too still call it the Hanalei. The original bar area was so awesome...sigh.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-31 11:45 pm   Permalink

I'm glad I talked my friends into eating there a few years ago, at Oasis,
on a Sat. afternoon while everybody was vending and doing seminars etc..

I think that the answer is the Owners/Managers Have their heads up their collective asses.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mudbone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-01 04:22 am   Permalink

Beige is the color the majority of people buy for their home.

View Profile of mudbone Send a personal message to mudbone  Email mudbone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation