FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Home Tiki Bars Ľ Ľ I got a Tiki Bar in my basement.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
I got a Tiki Bar in my basement.
Tikitastic2009

Posted: 2011-02-01 12:49 pm   Permalink

Nine months ago I started construction on my Tiki Lounge. Which I have named after my new kitten Tiki. Please tell me what you think.

The TikiTastic Lounge under construction:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=70994&id=1387275221&l=4eddd29f59

The TikiTastic Lounge Tour:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=100301&id=1387275221&l=75b2061ef4

[ This Message was edited by: Tikitastic2009 2011-02-01 14:02 ]

View Profile of Tikitastic2009 Send a personal message to Tikitastic2009  Email Tikitastic2009     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-01 2:47 pm   Permalink

This looks like a very cozy space with a nice big bar. I like all the bamboo and the mood lighting from multiple colored lights.

However, I don't see any big carved Tikis, pufferfish lamps, tapa cloth, Tiki mugs, hula girls or rum bottles...

Your bar is probably a little too sportsbar/Jimmy Buffet centered for most on these forums.

See the ABOUT page at top of Tiki Central's site which reads:

What Tiki Central Isn't
Everyone here at Tiki Central is passionate about the Polynesian Pop movement. While the exact edges are blurry, we can give you a bit of insight into what Tiki Central is not about:

Itís not about Jimmy Buffett and Parrotheads
Itís not modern plastic, brightly-colored tiki party decorations
Itís not about the Caribbean/Key west design aesthetic
Itís not about Reggae
Itís not about African-art inspired masks/carvings/design
Itís not about Margaritas and tequila-based drinks
It's not about simply anything that has a tiki on it or in it
It is okay to like one or more of the above and be a member of Tiki Central, just remember that it's not our focus. There are plenty of places on the web for that. We encourage new users who may not know what Tiki is to read up, search our forums, and ask questions.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-01 3:01 pm   Permalink

I have a suggestion... not so much for you because your bar looks pretty much done. And it looks way cool! I am guessing your a Jets Fan?

Just a general suggestion regarding TV's and Exotic Bar spaces

If you want to include a TV in your lounge you can 'hide' it behind doors. Doors closed, smaller exotic bar. Doors open, game on and party time!

If you spend a lot of time in your bar and you spend a lot of that time with the TV on,and therefore the door idea fails because they are always open, you can hide the TV behind some smoked plexiglass. Visit a local sign shop, or ask the internets, for a very light tint on the plexi. Decorate around the plexi screen as if you were decorating around a fish tank. If you turn the brightness of the tv to a higher setting you will never really notice the plexi, and being plexi your remotes will still do their job. Then, when the TV is off, it doesn't look like a TV turned off, it looks like a window or dark fish tank.

I had some pictures of this idea somewhere and it looks really neat! When I find them I'll share.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-01 3:08 pm   Permalink

P.S....Trader Tom, lighten up. Its a great bar! Bamboo, dark atmosphere, parrots, pirate flags, a lot of personal touches that reflect their tastes. I would so love to watch the Super Bowl in that setting. I think the only thing truly missing is a blowfish lamp.

Hey, Tikitastic2009, I see your in the New York area. I can connect you to some of the local tiki people who can help you build a couple of blowfish lamps to contribute to the atmosphere of the bar. Some of them are even Jets fans

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-02-01 3:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-01 15:08, Chip and Andy wrote:
... I think the only thing truly missing is a blowfish lamp.

And some real Tikis.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-01 3:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-01 15:08, Chip and Andy wrote:
P.S....Trader Tom, lighten up. Its a great bar!

Absolutely, it's a great bar. Sorry if I came off as a rule Nazi.

Don't tear it down by any means. But do add some carved Tikis and put some rum drinks on the menu if you get a chance.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-02 05:19 am   Permalink

Nice bar. I enjoyed the build pictures, very comprehensive.

You could get one of those aquarium DVD's and have it on loop when you're not watching TV.

And great space for a bar.

Well done.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-02 05:50 am   Permalink

Looks like you put a lot of work into your bar...love the ceiling, nice ambiance with the lighting. It's good to include items in your bar that you like and enjoy looking at...especially when drinking...LOL. Throw in a couple of life-sized Tikis...bars are a work in progress. Keep up the great work.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-03 1:13 pm   Permalink

I hid my tv in the box pictured here that reads coconuts. The front just detatches.

I know the coconuts box is the first thing your eyes are drawn to. (heh heh)

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-03 1:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-03 13:13, Matt Reese wrote:
The front just detatches.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-02-03 4:32 pm   Permalink

Is that a Tiki Bar in your basement, or are just happy to see me?

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-04 08:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-03 13:13, Matt Reese wrote:
I hid my tv in the box pictured here that reads coconuts. The front just detatches.

I know the coconuts box is the first thing your eyes are drawn to. (heh heh)

...lovely coconuts indeed !!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitastic2009

Posted: 2011-02-04 12:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks everybody for the great information and feedback.

Chip and Andy, I would love to make a blowfish lamp, please hook me up with people in my area.

Trader Tom, Thank you for your input too. Last weekend I finally got two tiki masks carved from Bali. I will be adding my tiki mug collection and some statues soon. Really want to get a hula girl lamp that moves. The only hula girl I got so for is a dashboard one.

Kon-Hemsby,The aquarium DVD is a great idea will do soon as I find a nice HD movie download. The large tv is a HD projector screen and multiple monitors around the room which I have made bamboo frames or tropical wood frames. That I am playing music video's and my favorite tropical/Tiki movies and Tv shows. Hard Rock TikiStyle you can say.

The sports bar thing: The NY Jets is only up for the football games it not a permanent fixture.

Here is a little background about my tiki lounge. I travel a lot for work I am a trade show guru. I manage my company exhibits. I try to go to as many tiki bars as I can to bring different idea's home. My favorite Tiki type place is the Tonga Room in San Francisco so far. My two favorite vacation destinations are Key West and New Orleans that is why those influences are in the lounge. I also got some of my influences from movies and TV Shows. Movies Like Donovan's Reef, Club Paradise, Kon-Tiki, and the John Wayne's War Movies. The TV show such as Gilligan's Island, Adventures in Paradise, Ba Ba Black Sheep, Magnum P.I., and Mc Hale's Navy. I love adventure books that take place on the sea specially when the ports of call are in Polynesian islands. Books by Clive Cussler and a Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett just to name a few.

All most all the materials for the tiki lounge is O.P.G "Others People Garbage" and I purchase two rattan chairs from Craigslist. But most of it was garbage picked. For the wood I used pallets for my work got old wood from home renovations in area. The decor I repainted and refurbish and I order some from Internet and brought items back for business trips and vacations.

I got the bamboo fencing from a garden center and the rest of the bamboo from Pier 1 Imports. From Pier 1 I got bamboo poles 1 3/4" x 72" for $12.95 a bundle of three and bamboo placement $1.99. I used beach mats for the wall I got at discount store for .99 each.

I split the ceiling into four area the leis and red bamboo, beads and yellow bamboo, fishing net and sea life, and thatch entree area. I am still working on the last two area's

The TikiTastic Lounge seats 16 people with two people behind the bar. I add four copper top tables. The reason I got the copper top tables is that it reminds me of great breakfast spot in New Orleans off Jackson Square where my wife and I ate last spring.

The Tiki lounge is always evolving and I am adding new things all the time. What gets add to the Tiki Lounge is dependent on the tides of my neighborhood trash.

I am traveling for work the week of Feb 14 and I will be in San Diego. Does anybody know of any good tiki shopping stops? So I can TIKI UP my lounge. Also I will be in Ft Lauderdale, FL the second week in March. Any recommendation of tiki bars or shopping spots for these cities would be great.

Thanks again,

Robby

Sent From Robby's iPad Via The Coconut Telegraph, 25 Words or Less!

View Profile of Tikitastic2009 Send a personal message to Tikitastic2009  Email Tikitastic2009     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-04 6:18 pm   Permalink

San diego has a plenty of spots that sell tiki type stuff for bars straight up - signs and bamboo and all sorts of stuff.
You should visit the Bali Hai and stop by the gift shop as well as grab some mugs.
Over by mission beach near san diego there are tiki stops but be sure to go visit Freaky Boutiki. Hodadhank is on here search him out too!

Ft lauderdale - Mai Kai and wreck bar - maybe ask CHIPANDANDY for some info from that area since they chimed in earlier in the post.

IN NYC - Ottos shrunken head / PainKiller / Lani Kai.
IN NJ Chans and Lees.

Have fun.

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-05 09:02 am   Permalink

I love that rattan chair! And nice job with the bamboo on the walls.

Here's a thread with advice on going to the Mai Kai:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=36761&forum=16

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation