FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Hurricane, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
The Hurricane, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-02 6:55 pm   Permalink

Name:The Hurricane
Type:restaurant
Street:533 Pacific Street
City:San Francisco
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
This is another one of the Pre-Tiki bars that used the name "The Hurricane", presumably modeled after the popular South Seas movie of the same name staring Dorthy Lamour and Jon Hall. This one was owned by Burt Rovere.

I have this menu from the bar.

The lure of the Tropics indeed.

Some the the tropical drinks, some different names here.

The food choices, and the Rum of the house ... Ronrico.

Looks like Burt had a few other restaurants as well.

I grabbed images of this matchbook that shows the bamboo exterior. Anybody heard of the "International Settlement" before? The address changed from 533 Pacfic Street on the menu to 535 Pacific Avenue on the matchbook, hmmm.

Finally here is a napkin I tried for on ebay. They changed the look of the logo wahinee, going tropical and topless!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-03 08:35 am   Permalink

I knew that I had seen the International Settlement in San Francisco somewhere before. I have this postcard that I got after Sabu posted in on the Pago Pago thread showing the entrance to the International Settlement and the Pago restaurant.

The house of Zombie.

Looks there were a couple of Pre-tiki joints there.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-03 10:23 pm   Permalink

Huh... I walk past that address every morning on the way to work.

Alas, no hint of tiki there now; only expensive home furnishing galleries, law offices, and a steady churn of overly upscale restaurants.

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 6:46 pm   Permalink

Here is picture of the Hurricane in San Francisco that I grabbed of the net.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-25 7:58 pm   Permalink

WOW Hiltiki, that is a great photo. What an amazing looking pre-tiki bar, it has it all. The bamboo, the mural, the leopard bar stools, tapa, thatch, the rum, rum rum, and that bartender with the pineapple drinks is priceless. Nice find.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-30 11:36 am   Permalink

Here is a napkin I have that lists the International Settlement location of the Hurricane with Jack De Maria the manager. Maybe after Bert Rovere?

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-11 09:33 am   Permalink

An ad for Sol Bright at the Hurricane.

Honolulu's Gene Autry!

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 6:02 pm   Permalink

Another napkin I picked up, however the address is not 533 Pacific Street instead of 523 Pacific Avenue. Hmmm?

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-24 10:16 pm   Permalink

Judging by the detail in this rendering, it seems to be the original that the above one was derived from....or the other one on the top was

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2014-07-24 22:20 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation