FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food so how do you measure your dashes (of bitters etc)?
so how do you measure your dashes (of bitters etc)?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-02 7:53 pm   Permalink

I go with 3-4 drops when coming from a dasher bottle like Angostura.

for liquids from other bottles (such as Pernod) I use a tad under 1/8 teaspoon (having to really eyeball it as my smallest measuring spoon is a 1/4 tsp).

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-03 4:12 pm   Permalink

A flip-of-the-wrist is a dash for me whether I'm using Angostura or any other brand of bitters.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-02-03 4:35 pm   Permalink

A few years ago I heard something which has me wondering if a flip of the wrist is the same dash it used to be. I haven't done any verifying of this but supposedly the Angustura company increased the size of the hole in the top of the bottle and as a result their sales went up 30%!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-03 4:53 pm   Permalink

Mixologist/bartender extraordinaire Toby Maloney argues that 1 dash = 3 drops. I have trouble tasting 3 drops of something in anything, so my dashes end up being a couple of solid shakes each. For DTB drinks calling for the old absinthe/Angostura combo, I bet I end up putting in 1/8 tsp. of each. I love me some bitters.

View Profile of Mr. Moto Send a personal message to Mr. Moto      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-03 7:59 pm   Permalink

so how do those of you using a 'flick of the wrist' add Pernod etc. where the bottles are not stoppered?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-02-03 8:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-03 19:59, thePorpoise wrote:
so how do those of you using a 'flick of the wrist' add Pernod etc. where the bottles are not stoppered?

For Pernod, I use an eyedropper. Too much Pernod will ruin a drink so I don't take any chances.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-05 05:56 am   Permalink

I keep the Pernod well away from my mixing area while adding it to a cocktail. The stuff is dynamite!! The only ingredient that I really use in the dash form that much is bitters. With bitters I shake the hell out of the bottle with the top on. Take the top off the bitters and give a couple of good snaps into the shaker in an up and down nature. Wow, that doesn't sound to wholesome but works for me. I love the flavor of the bitters in cocktails that call for it.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beach Bum Scott
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-07 2:25 pm   Permalink

An eyedropper is a must have.
I got a little bottle that had an eyedropper lid and put my Pernod and my bitters.

some reading
http://www.accuracyproject.org/pinchdash.html

View Profile of Beach Bum Scott Send a personal message to Beach Bum Scott      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-02-07 5:15 pm   Permalink

I just started adding about 3-5 drops of angostra for my tv Mai tai's and love it.

TikiPop On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation