FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Ding Dong Devils at Timewarp Music 2/12/2011
Ding Dong Devils at Timewarp Music 2/12/2011
Rama Lama
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-02 9:55 pm   Permalink

Everyone's favorite luau band (or is that tiki group??) is playing a gig on Saturday, February 12, 2011 with the Insect Surfers and Lawndale. The cover is $10, but you can get in for $7 if you copy the attached flyer and bring it along. The Ding Dong Devils would love to see you there! Aloha!!

View Profile of Rama Lama Send a personal message to Rama Lama  Email Rama Lama Goto the website of Rama Lama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-02 10:09 pm   Permalink

cool deal on Lawndale in on the bill.
great line up,
see ya there.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-08 11:09 am   Permalink

Yay, a Tiki event north of LAX and south of the 10 Fwy !!

You know I think Tiki Caliente will be the Ding Dong Devils' first "official" performance at a Tiki event. And have the Insect Surfers ever done a big multi-day Tiki party before ??

This Saturday is your big chance to see them both pre-Caliente. Just think, in Palm Springs you can have bragging rights and say "Oh yeah I've seen these guys before in a much smaller more intimate venue".

Also TimeWarp is just down the street from the historically Tiki significant Mar Vista Bowl. It's featured in both "Book of Tiki" and "Tiki Modern". They still have at least one prominent Tiki left (last I checked). I'll see you there in their cocktail lounge at 8pm.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-08 7:11 pm   Permalink

John,
aren't you going to Mr. Jay's pre show party?
how can you be at the bar, too?

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-08 10:36 pm   Permalink

OK make that 8:30pm at the Mar Vista Bowl lounge (after Mr. Jay's).

We must have at least one drink there, no matter how devolved it's become. Not to do so would be a crime against Tiki !!

Also when you're in these mid-century businesses, it's always a good idea to chat up the older regulars. Who knows, we might encounter someone who's been bowling there since the 1960's. They might have old family photos to share which document the details of the original Tiki lounge. That would be Cool !!

I call that bar stool urban archeology.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-09 09:49 am   Permalink

can't wait for this show,
and for those who don't know.

Lawndale is a 80's band that was on SST records,
and its pretty cool that they are playing again.

Jeff(btd)

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-12 1:05 pm   Permalink

tonight

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-12 1:05 pm   Permalink

tonight

congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-14 11:31 am   Permalink

Thanks for everyone who came out--it was a blast! We had fun playing, enjoyed the Insect Surfers as always, and it was treat to finally see and hear Lawndale doing the Beyond BBQ and Sasquatch Rock songs.

And thanks to Mr. Jay for hosting a pre-party and impromptu after party at his nearby pad. I didn't get home until 4:30am so I know I must have had a good time! (And thanks to John-O for graciously sharing his Knob Creek single barrel. Definitely not a tiki drink--so you can move this to "Bilge" if necessary--but a fine, old school 9-year bourbon!)

Caltiki Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-14 11:56 am   Permalink

What a super fun time !! In addition to the DDD/Insects Pre-Caliente warm-up, it was great to finally see Lawndale in person (after 25 years !!). Thanks to the Insects for the "Tiger Shark" dedication and to DDD's Nepheria for the bass riff on Jack Nitzsche's "The Last Race" which made the hair on my arm stand up.

Also I liked the intermission where we walked over to the Mar Vista Bowl lounge and drunkenly questioned the bartenders "DID YOU KNOW THIS USED TO BE A TIKI BAR !!" They said... No

Thank you to Mr. J (it's capital J only please, just like Mr. T and Dr. J) and Mrs. "Mr. J" (aka Sharon) for the post 2am hospitality. Highlights include Insect Dave doing cartwheels in the living room, Mr. J serenading us with the Do-Wop of his youth in between discussion of rare Surf music, and HappyChi repeating over and over "I am SO drunk".

Jungle Ginger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-15 03:41 am   Permalink

Sorry we missed this show. Where the Ding Dong Devils go, mischief follows....

View Profile of Jungle Ginger Send a personal message to Jungle Ginger      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation