FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food thoughts on the Spindrift?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
thoughts on the Spindrift?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-08 11:04 am   Permalink

I gave this a try after seeing several referenced to it here. The vanilla was okay, but I found the lemon overwhelming when combined with the vanilla. Does anybody make it without lemon, or with a substitution for the lemon?

Also, was wondering where this drink was invented.

thanks

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-08 3:29 pm   Permalink

Have you tried reducing the lemon juice? I've never made this drink, but 2 oz seems like a lot.

Jeff Berry invented the drink, but it was served at the Taboo Cove bar in Las Vegas.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-08 4:19 pm   Permalink

The Spindrift is a personal favorite of mine.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-09 12:06 pm   Permalink

I usually skip measuring the lemon on this one; I use one small lemon which usually ends up being an ounce and a half (not a Meyers lemon though). I love this drink. FWIW, the Chief Lapu Lapu is a near identical recipe.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-10 09:46 am   Permalink

At the risk of repeating myself too much, I think the Bum uses entirely too much citrus. HOWEVER... Vic's recipes do, too, when calling for lemon. So, it's not just a Bum thing and no offense is intended whatsoever. I have to wonder if they're using a different lemon when coming up with these drinks other than the standard grocery store lemon. Are Myers lemons less tart? Maybe they're using those, I don't know.

In any case, I love lemon in drinks, but in the Bum's and in Vic's recipes, when it calls for lemon... I just go ahead and half what the recipe calls for. I find that works really well. You still get the lemon flavor, but you can also still taste everything else in the drink, too.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-10 1:05 pm   Permalink

Slightly off topic, but in response to Cucamonga - Meyer lemons are less acidic than other lemons. There's a good article in the latest Imbibe Magazine about using Meyers in cocktails:

http://www.imbibemagazine.com/Elements-Meyer-Lemons

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-13 10:22 am   Permalink

Is just me, or is the spindrift entirely too strong? I usually blend mine without ice, divide the amount and blend one portion with ice for a full sized drink. The spindrift as a full-sized drink as written takes on every other drink in terms of being the champion of getting people dui's.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-13 10:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-13 10:22, telescopes wrote:
Is just me, or is the spindrift entirely too strong? I usually blend mine without ice, divide the amount and blend one portion with ice for a full sized drink. The spindrift as a full-sized drink as written takes on every other drink in terms of being the champion of getting people dui's.

I hate to quote myself, but I just made a discovery. I was reading the original recipe for the spindrift in Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide. It is called a Rum Keg and is acknowledged by the Beachbum to be the source for the Spindrift. The biggest difference - and the differences were very small - is that Vic used Navy Grog Rum.

I had been thinking that the drink could be improved by the addition of a Pimento Dram. However, because I prefer my drinks made properly and because Pimento is so damn expensive, I didn't add it. But when I saw that Vic used Navy Grog Rum, I thought, hmmm, perhaps Vic did believe an under note of spices was necessary.

So, I added a gentle splash of Pimento Dram (Berry Hill) to my second portion of Spindrift and voila... a beautiful drink was born.

I encourage you to do likewise. Just as Pimento Dram enhances Berry's Navy Grog recipe (see Ancient Mariner) the Pimento lifts the citrus notes in the Spindrift and makes a great drink a perfect drink.

Try it. You will thank me later. I added only a teaspoon or so to the second half of the recipe that I had previously split so I don't have exact recommendations for how much it will need. Call it a Jamaican Spindrift or whatever. It is an improvement.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-13 3:42 pm   Permalink

The origin for the Spindrift was Trader Vic's Rum Pot, not the larger Rum Keg.

I like it as-is but the simplified Spindrift Jr. is more balanced.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-13 5:32 pm   Permalink

Keg...

Did I say keg?

Ah, ...

I meant pot!

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-13 6:22 pm   Permalink

havent come across any pimento/allspice dram around here yet.

heck, only recently found a store carrying falernum, which led me down this whole tiki path for the first time!

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-13 7:50 pm   Permalink

Just make your own allspice dram using the recipe in Sippin' Safari then!!!

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-14 05:28 am   Permalink

I made my own Allspice Pimento Dram from Jeff's books and it's far better than any that I bought before. Give it a go!

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-14 11:16 am   Permalink

Can it be made with pre-ground allspice?

jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-14 3:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-14 11:16, thePorpoise wrote:
Can it be made with pre-ground allspice?

Don't waste your time with the pre-ground. The whole allspice ground fresh will have a much livelier flavor.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation