FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Mark Mywords' Walls of Voodoo (updated 6/2/14)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Mark Mywords' Walls of Voodoo (updated 6/2/14)
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-08 2:30 pm   Permalink

Long time lurker here. Thought it was finally time to put up pics of what I've been working on(and off) and on for the past year.

So this whole thing started when we moved from Sac to Davis a year and a half ago. We're used to living in old funky places. The house in Davis is newer and well, pretty "Normal". Having the luxury of extra space for the first time provided the opportunity to add some badly needed character and create the getaway I've wanted to build for some time now...

BTW, yeah, the name probably isn't as "Tiki" as the purists might want. My kids named it and it sort of stuck.

Unfortunately, more than a few of the early photos of the build got wiped out when I had an sd card die. The only "Before" pics I have are frame grabs from a video.

Behold, a very cluttered, boring white walled room -

Sooo much white... The first thing I did was paint and start work on the ceiling. Things got off to a bad start with two mistakes. First of all, we had new electrical installed in the ceiling for mood lighting in the corners and a light fixture in the center. This left circular holes in the ceiling (used to route cable). I decided to leave the holes open because my original plan was to use grass matting on the ceiling which would cover them. This was a bad idea that would come back to haunt me later.

Putting up the matting was a challenge. The matting that I got is only rectangular in the vaguest sense of the word. The mats were 4 x 8', but swooped in up to a 1/2 foot on the sides. I struggled with this for many hours trying to get it installed so that seams could be covered nicely with trim later on. Getting it stapled down flat was also a struggle. I had about 90% of the ceiling done, when I was informed by a drywall contractor that I absolutely should not have left the electrical routing holes in the ceiling open. The rational being that such holes would create a greater hazard of a in-wall fire (serving as a chimney to suck in air). So, down came all the matting. It couldn't be salvaged and went into the garbage pile. The ceiling was put on hold for awhile while I concentrated on painting and installing the wall of bamboo rounds.

I also made a mistake on the painting. I wanted green to peek through the gaps in my bamboo. The green paint I chose was too bright. Luckily, it ended up not looking too bad later on when the room got built out with more dark materials. It was pretty shocking when I first put it up though.

I made a similar mistake when painting the other walls in the room. I went with a brownish yellow. Of course, this shone right through the fern wainscoting I put up.

I spent weeks trying to convince myself that this looked ok. I did eventually have to buckle and take the fern off and repaint the backing wall dark brown. That's what I get for not doing detailed planning before actually starting work.

On to the ceiling...
For ceiling ver. 2.0, I decided to go with rolled reed fencing. Unlike the grass matting, this went up like a breeze.

I very quickly moved onto the bamboo ceiling poles. I installed a 4" support pole on one side and a 2 1/2" pole on the other with 2" crosspoles. The mismatched support pole sizes worked good. It creates an illusion that the roof is slightly slanted.

At this point, I got stuck for months on getting the poles installed and looking right.

The thing that took the most time was doing the fake rope lashings. The poles themselves went up with rope treatments already on them. I ended up gluing rope for the cross lashing effect. This, of course, took forever.

BTW, if you ever want to get an extremely strange look from a hardware store clerk, purchase 40 little tubes of super glue. The look of wonder/fear was priceless.

OK, time to move on to walls. More coming later...

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2011-02-08 14:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2013-01-20 20:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2014-05-31 14:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2014-06-01 09:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2014-06-02 08:04 ]

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigDaddy772
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-08 3:21 pm   Permalink

Looks like your off to a great start. Trial and error is how I have learned everything so far..Well that and lurking here.

View Profile of BigDaddy772 Send a personal message to BigDaddy772  Email BigDaddy772     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-08 4:24 pm   Permalink

I love seeing all the progress pics. Can't wait for more, thanks for sharing!

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-09 4:16 pm   Permalink

On to the walls...

I chose to go with fern fence, abaca matting and bamboo backing for the walls.

The biggest challenge here was getting the bamboo to go down as perfectly flat as possible. The first section I put up seemed to staple down just fine. However, a week later it started bowing out in the middle. I had to pull it and try again, this time with more staples and attention to stretching and flattening as I worked.

Cool switch plate I got from Crazy Al

Once that was done, I started working with the trim. I had several feet of nice molding I had purchased from Bosko and combined it with some smaller bamboo pieces.

My original idea for covering seams was to use stained wood trim strips. I decided instead to scorch and wirebrush the wood. It takes a really long time (especially using just a little plumber's butane torch), but the final look was totally worth it.

I took advantage of my youngest son's pyromaniac tendencies and had him do some of the work...

You can see here I finally covered up the yellow behind the fern with brown paint

I went ahead and bought an entertainment center to keep the wife happy (she was tired of our kids monopolizing our upstairs TV). I had tried for over a year to find something tiki-tastic, but the only pieces I found were way too expensive. I went ahead and purchased a pretty generic piece with the intention of tikifying it myself. I probably won't stick with the reed fencing treatment I used here. As for the TV, I will be camouflaging it later when I get to the finishing work on the room.

The corner where the wall joins the stairwell was a challenge. I couldn't continue the bamboo backing as it wouldn't trim out right. Instead, I've started fitting a 4" bamboo pole to lay flush as a faux support column and cover up that corner. Getting the notching to accommodate the existing trim is going to be tricky (with my limited woodworking skills that is...). It should finally be up this weekend.

So, what does the future hold? I know that I'm going to build hangers for some of the musical instruments on the bamboo pole wall. I need to figure out what I'm doing with the window. I'm thinking about copying the window coverings at Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room. Basically they're just a bamboo frame incorporating reed fencing. They seem fairly simple.

With major construction done, I get to move on to decorating! I've got a bunch of stuff I've been collecting as well as a whole box of stuff I purchased from oceanic arts on a collecting trip not too long ago. I want to add a bunch of foliage. I'm hoping to score a float lamp in the next few weeks to add to the lighting. I also need to figure out what to do about remaining furniture (the papasan chairs gotta go) and covering up the remaining white baseboards with something more attractive.

-mark

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-09 5:26 pm   Permalink

Well done! Keep us posted!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-10 4:26 pm   Permalink

The ceiling looks great - time well spent.

CN

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-13 7:39 pm   Permalink

The last piece of trim went up this afternoon. Major construction on the Walls of Voodoo has finished. Time for a drink!

4" pole - it covers up that problem corner. I'm gonna hang masks from it

cool bamboo electrical outlet covers - scored a bunch of these on ebay a while back...

and there it is! The last wall is done!

Time to drink to all the hard work! Get everybody's personal mugs out...

(and no, I did not create an experimental cocktail using trader tiki syrup,mustard and cat food...)

ahh, yes! So much goodness in one place! Havin' a flaming zombie with the goof!

Next come guitar hangers and putting decorations up...

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-14 05:59 am   Permalink

Congratulations...that is a lot of work you have done to a fairly large space. It's looking great and glad you celebrated with the Goof.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-14 11:46 am   Permalink

Lookin' excellent!
Thanks for the progress pics, it's fun to follow your thought patterns.

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-23 10:41 pm   Permalink

Look what my wife drove 2 1/2 hours up into the mountains to bring back!

best birthday gift ever!

Now, if I can find a couple of Frankl style arm chairs to keep it company, we'll be in business...

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2011-02-23 22:42 ]

Polly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 11:42 pm   Permalink

The third mug looks great!

View Profile of Polly Send a personal message to Polly  Goto the website of Polly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-24 11:51 am   Permalink

Very nice work with the bamboo and reed matting… great setting for all things tiki to follow.

I see that you intelligently applied a cardinal principle of home remodeling projects: start by making an offering to the significant other (in your case, the entertainment center). This brings manifest blessings in the form of ready agreement on scope, as well as grudging tolerance for all those messy intermediate steps.

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-24 1:13 pm   Permalink

Yeah what's hard is having to strike the balance between construction zone and the necessity of keeping a space that's going to be used by the kids a great deal of the time.

One of the other things I'm going to have to do because of this is to build a tiki bar on wheels that can be brought into the room for the (far too infrequent) adults only shin-digs that we throw.

Those papasan chairs were also a temporary accomodation (although, they do keep with the theme). I'm going to end up ditching them, they're cool, but they're too big and not very durable.

markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-13 3:13 pm   Permalink

Some new pictures... Things are coming along nicely.

Saturday was the Tiki Room Preview / my birthday shin dig. Didn't have a lot of time to put more stuff up on the walls, but I made sure that the two items mandatory to any tiki room were in place...
Mr. Bali Hai (in his temporary location, with a small selection of his friends)

and of course the obligatory framed Denny

We had way more people show up than expected (we need more seating down there). Luckily we have plenty of spill over space upstairs and on the balcony. it was a blast!

new addition to the room - moai plasma head!

Yes, yes, I know, the forbidden TV was also there. We had Pagan Love Song on repeat on low volume. Everybody loved it.
Boy, that Esther Williams sure can swim...

All in all a great time. We're already planning the "Official" opening party of the Walls of Voodoo in a couple of months...

mahalo,
-Mark

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2011-03-13 18:03 ]

Polly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-14 01:11 am   Permalink

Nice guitars! I really love them.
BTW, did you buy your bamboo poles and glass floats from Benson's Import?
Love your design.

View Profile of Polly Send a personal message to Polly  Goto the website of Polly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation