FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Mark Mywords' Walls of Voodoo (updated 6/2/14)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Mark Mywords' Walls of Voodoo (updated 6/2/14)
LiddleLola
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-14 09:59 am   Permalink

Great job on your space.

Darilyn

View Profile of LiddleLola Send a personal message to LiddleLola      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-14 5:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-14 01:11, Polly wrote:
Nice guitars! I really love them.
BTW, did you buy your bamboo poles and glass floats from Benson's Import?
Love your design.

Thanks!
Hah, at about a year and a half in, I think I've probably ordered stuff from everybody at this point (Bensons, OA, Franks, MGP and a bunch of others I can't remember right now)!

I'm really enjoying how the room is morphing and taking on a direction of it's own. I had originally imagined a more "Authentic" primitive tiki room. The necessity of having it function as a shared space for the whole family (as well as where the guitars had to go) has now pointed it in the direction of being more lounge-like. As more of the clutter goes up, it will be interesting to see how the character changes...

-mark

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2011-03-14 17:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2011-03-14 17:38 ]

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-30 10:25 pm   Permalink

Hey all, here's the latest progress...

So, my idea for windows coverings was to copy the ones thay have at Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room.
The construction is fairly simply - basically a bamboo frame with reed fencing.

It took me awhile to figure out how to the join the frame together. I finally decided on constructing a gluing jig to strap the frame into while the joints were glued and dried.

Constructing the frame was quite a bit harder than I had anticipated. I encountered a reoccurring problem - I have a heck of a time getting my mitered joints to match up angle-wise. That is, individually the miters themselves are fine (45 degree), it's just that when it comes time to put the frame together, it becomes apparent that the joints at each end of each piece of the frame are off in comparison to each other. I end up with one joint that works ok, but the other is pointing upwards or downwards and will not make a clean joint. I ended up having to cover this by using an adhesive filler to fill the gaps in the the joints.

After a lot of gluing and a little improvising to fix unexpected problems I had my frames. It was time to add lashings.

Again, this took a great deal longer than I had anticipated. After what seemed like an eternity (and several weekends, working a few hours at a time), it was finally time to join the frame to the reed backing.

And... voila! They're done!

The big reward on this project came when we had a guest over and the first thing she said upon entering the room was "Wow, those windows are just like Disneyland's!".

I've also added some new decorations and accents over the past couple of months -

New bird

New couch (and banister treatment)

New masks

New couch cover

not so new fountain

After countless requests from guests... I finally caved and got a puffer

...and he's on one of the remote controlled circuits I put in. It's nice to be able to push a button and have "Instant Tiki!" instead of having to scramble around plugging various features in.

According to a Hawaiian friend of mine, it is extremely bad luck to have open mouthed tiki's inside one's home. She promptly provided some Hawaiian salt to rectify the situation (in an attractive lauhala box, too).

The grand opening of the Walls of Voodoo is in just a couple of weeks (June 11th). I'm hoping to finish putting up more decorations on the walls. I'll be working on a simple rain effect that will go behind the window coverings I just put up. If all goes well, I'm hoping to get a shelf up along the top of one of the walls for mugs. Also, I'd like to install reflective sheet metal inside to the tiki pole support columns to shoot more light up the front of the tiki poles.

Not much time left, so I've got my work cut out for me...

mahalo,
-mark

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2011-05-30 22:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2011-05-30 22:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2011-05-31 00:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2011-05-31 07:49 ]

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-05 11:19 pm   Permalink

Hey all,
It's been some time since my last update. Thought I'd share some of the changes in The Walls of Voodoo.

I finally got around to working on the entertainment console. The reed treatment I had put on the doors was never supposed to be a final solution and had started to fall apart. Bamboo planks are so much better.

I still am searching for ideas on what to do with the TV itself. Any suggestions, anyone? My wife is suggesting enclosing it somehow in a close-able cabinet with witco-style art integrated into it.

I acquired this lovely picture from TikiTim

My wife picked up this coffee table and a sidetable from craig's list. These are probably the last pieces of furniture to be added to the room.

New shelf for the tiki mugs

Here is a better picture of the fountain that I originally showed last update

Meet Shrunken Head Fred! My youngest son had been lobbying for a shrunken head for the Walls of Voodoo for some time. After taking a look at some of the "Authentic" looking reproductions at Tiki Oasis, I decided that they were probably a little too detailed and gruesome. This lit, vinyl head does the trick just fine. Fred sat in a drawer for several months until I found him a home (a lovely wooden clock cabinet from the local thrift store)

This guy is destined for greater things! Right now, it may just be a tacky, plastic volcano. We will eventually be transplanting him into the mouth of a custom carved tiki. Until then, he can keep the plasma moai company...

A few new items in this corner.

Shrunken head by Tiki Tony

It took me about ten shots to get one that looked decent. Low level photography is very challenging, especially with no tripod.

That's it for now! I'm planning to start honing my wood carving skills as I would like to add some carved planks onto the stairway banister. I will be adding another carved shelf sometime soon. Also, At some point all of the vintage polynesian related post cards that I've collected over the years are going to start being put up...

Thanks for looking!

Mahalo,
-mark mywords

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2012-02-05 23:36 ]

komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-06 12:51 am   Permalink

looking great, with some very stylish touches. i love how things come together,
for example the shrunken head in the clock case, very cool.

for the t.v., i'm gonna borrow the idea of hiding it in a wooden crate
with something stenciled on the front... simple and fun.

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-02-06 1:27 pm   Permalink

Great looking tiki space, it looks very cozy and inviting. I especially like how you incorporated your musical instruments. Very well done!

Quote:
I still am searching for ideas on what to do with the TV itself. Any suggestions, anyone? My wife is suggesting enclosing it somehow in a close-able cabinet with witco-style art integrated into it.

Great idea! that works very well. There is a thread
HERE that discusses installing a (hanging) tv into a tiki bar, but several suggestions and images came up with how to disguise a tv as well. Good luck with your home tiki bar!! It's looking really good!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-06 5:54 pm   Permalink

Excellent space!

Out of curiosity, how'd you hang that 4" support pole on the ceiling? Just screwed it to the wall through the openings you cut for the cross pieces? Looks fantastic.

View Profile of Kanu Send a personal message to Kanu  Goto the website of Kanu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-06 6:14 pm   Permalink

Really looking great. I don't know who is coordinating our Sacramento Home Crawl this year, but you might want to throw your hat in the ring to host, it's really great fun!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-06 6:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-06 17:54, Tiki Trev wrote:
Excellent space!

Out of curiosity, how'd you hang that 4" support pole on the ceiling? Just screwed it to the wall through the openings you cut for the cross pieces? Looks fantastic.

I used a long drill bit (12") to drill access holes into the 4" and a smaller pilot hole for the mounting screw directly opposed from the access hole. I used 4" screws and carefully guided them into the pole and through the pilot using a magnetic screw tip. It was somewhat tricky. I lost quite a few screws inside the pole as they tended to fall off the screw tip at the slightest bump.

I have no doubt that the above is definitely the "Hard way" and there most certainly has to be a smarter way of mounting larger beams like that.

Also, there are no holes for the cross beams. All cross beams are hung from furring strips. All the lashings are totally faux and just glued on. All those lashings and rope accents serve to cover lots and lots of joints and screw holes.

-mark

[ This Message was edited by: markmywords 2012-12-27 21:46 ]

markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-06 6:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-06 13:27, Polynesiac wrote:
Great idea! that works very well. There is a thread HERE that discusses installing a (hanging) tv into a tiki bar, but several suggestions and images came up with how to disguise a tv as well.

Wow, that suitcase camouflage job from that thread is really incredible! I'm definitely going to nick the swivel mount idea from that.

To be honest, I've really been stalling on this particular project. I'd rather not have the TV in there at all, but the fact is our one regular, monthly tiki gathering is a movie night ala "South Seas Sin-ema". So it has to stay. I've just got to figure out a stylish way to make it disappear the rest of the time when it's not being used.

-Mark

markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-07 1:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-06 18:14, VampiressRN wrote:
Really looking great. I don't know who is coordinating our Sacramento Home Crawl this year, but you might want to throw your hat in the ring to host, it's really great fun!!!

Thanks Vampiress!
Yeah, we possibly might be willing to host. We're still trying to make it out to one of the sac ohana gatherings...

markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-09 8:15 pm   Permalink

The Walls of Voodoo official Tiki mug is getting ready for the kiln:

Courtesy of resident artist Cap'n Sal, who has made at least one previous contribution to the tiki-ness of our house's surroundings:

forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-09 8:35 pm   Permalink

Lovin this tiki room. What you did with the guitars and stuff. Great idea!!!

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-09 8:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-09 20:35, forgotten tikiman wrote:
Lovin this tiki room. What you did with the guitars and stuff. Great idea!!!

Guitar frames were actually my wife's (Cap'n Sal) idea. She's got lotsa good ideas rattling around in that head of hers...

Q-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-10 2:28 pm   Permalink

Wow... What a fantastic transformation! Great job and congrats on a fine tiki space.

View Profile of Q-tiki Send a personal message to Q-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation