FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF.New mug, Staff Sergeant Nuoai.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF.New mug, Staff Sergeant Nuoai.
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-09-03 10:29 am   Permalink

Wow Robbie your on fire bra!! Everything looks great, bummer about the bowl, that glaze though is beautiful!!
Big Mahalo's again for the Awesome Skull pendant you had hand delivered to me at Oasis, what a killa surpise man.. Love it!

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-22 03:50 am   Permalink

Thanks David (Bowie). It's always very flattering to receive a compliment from such a talented ceramicist as yourself.

Thank you Tiki Tonie. I am flattered again by your comment.

Thanks SandraFremgan. I have come a long way since then and now own my own kiln and do all my work at home.

El Jefe, cheers buddy. I'm pretty happy with the moai myself.

Thanks TikiAno. That particular one is probably my most favourite version of this new design. Besides the one coming up.

Thank you Lori. I enjoy making the volcano bowls. Especially when they turn out exactly as i would like them to.

Thank you very much Wendy. I had a very hectic trip this time so time didn't allow it, although i am looking at coming back for Tiki Oasis in 2015.

Beachbumz, thanks my friend. I was shattered when i saw the cracks in that bowl. Personally one of my most favourite pieces i've made so far. And you're welcome for the pendant.

================================================================================================================

Well it's not often i post again so close to the last time that i did, but with the Mai Tai Crawl coming up i've been keeping busy to keep the kiln full to make it worth while firing.

First up are a few more Unholy Rabble wall hangings.

A few more pendants.

Here's another Brigadier VF1 bowl. (Unfortunately i damaged the mold for the volcano and need to make another one).

Another Lance Corporal Stoney. This is a fountain version with the mouth cut out and has fortunately sold.

I also glazed a few more Corporal Punishment mugs. I actually have several of these already bisque fired but because i've been working on other stuff they have fallen by the wayside. (Both white ones are supposed to be crackle glazes but they have not crackled at all. I need to speak to my supplier and find out why that hasn't happened).

And finally a few more of my new design, Staff Sergeant Nuoai. I try to make all my mugs 1/1's now and although the first two have the same glaze colours, the difference in the carving details is enough for me to seperate them. Thankfully i have sold both of these also.

This particular one i think i'm keeping for myself. I'm extremely happy with this glaze.

That's it for the moment although there's a good chance there will be another update soon as i have a bunch of stuff that is already bisque fired and i need to get a few pieces ready so i have to get motivated to glaze.

Cheers
swizzle

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-24 08:39 am   Permalink

Everything you make always looks perfect. That last glaze is sure a fun one. Sorry your mold got ruined. If it's only chuncks breaking off you can glue them back on with wood glue. That works amazingly well. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-24 09:03 am   Permalink

Wow
Great art from da swiz kiln
Love that KraZy glaze on the last one
Outstanding

[ This Message was edited by: hang10tiki 2014-09-24 09:04 ]

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-09-24 12:31 pm   Permalink

Swizz, I had tried a crackle glaze that didn't crackle so well. I started pulling them from the kiln when they were still hot (400F?) and allowing them to cool fast. You can try one in the oven and see how that works. When you do get cracks, rub India ink on them and wipe if off to accentuate the crackle effect.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-09-24 12:47 pm   Permalink

Hey MadDogMike I'll try that too. Thank you, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 30 days ago; 09:34 am   Permalink

Careful, if they are too hot when you pull them out, you stand a chance of cracking the ceramic too

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 7 days ago; 7:15 pm   Permalink

Thank you Wendy. I'm not sure about perfect but some pieces definitely turn out better than others. As for the mold, i did trying gluing it back together but it just broke again.

Thanks hang10tiki. I really like that glaze myself, as did someone else. Another one similar coming up.

MDM, the glaze did crackle, it's just that i couldn't see it until i rubbed ink over it. The problem was, being a white glaze over white clay the crackles weren't visible at all. I was expecting them to stand out at least a little bit like other glazes show crazing. But after speaking to my supplier i came home and rubbed ink over them and everything was fine. I don't have pics of those mugs finished but i do have something else to show.

============================================================================================================

So as i mentioned in my previous post we are having a Mai Tai crawl coming up so i've been busy getting pieces done for that and did another firing last weekend.
First up are two more, and the final wall hangings i'll be taking along with me. As you can see i tried the crackle glaze on one of these and it did work.

I've also worked on some Unholy Rabble pendants. Two sizes, two colours and two styles. One being a reverse, or negative, of the image.

Here's a few Corporal Punishment mugs. After glazing the inside of one of the blue ones i had left it out on my water heater to dry and when i came back out the wind must have blown it off and it cracked. I threw it in the bin but then decided to see if the glaze would cover the crack and it worked.

This is the one that cracked but was saved.

I made another volcano bowl similar to the one from the other week that unfortunately cracked. Although i used the wrong colour on the outside of this one i'm still very happy with how this one came out.

And finally a few more Staff Sergeant Nuoai's. The first two are kind of similar but still both 1/1's. There's a different texture on the outside of each and i used the same colour crystal glaze on the outside as is on the inside, but without any crystals. I just used the base colour to fill in the texture.

The fat lava one sold straight away after i posted it to my SWIZ facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/swizmugsnstuff)which i was very happy about. I had a few issues with holes appearing in the greenware which i had to patch up with magic mend. Although it worked a little bit it still wasn't perfect so i used the fat lava glaze to hide the flaws and it turned out even better than i expected.

As for the green/yellow one, i have a follower on Instagram who really liked the one from my previous post and i told her i would make her one the same but only if i did a different colour glaze on the inside to keep them both 1/1's. Although having said that, crystal glazes will always turn out looking different due to crystal size and placement on the piece, so no matter what, it was going to look different regardless, but the different colour used on the inside assured that. I have to say i think it looks even better than the first one.

And finally, for those that might not have seen my comment in the Tiki Marketplace thread about Munktiki knock offs, i too have been knocked off. At least i think i have.
A friend sent me a link to a picture of the mug on the right, asking if it was one of mine, which it isn't. The General Ra Ra on the left is my first mug design from 2011. The other mug is from a company in Greece? that has a line of 'tiki' mugs, including one that looks like a Munktiki and another that reminds me of a Tiki Farm one. Their website is from 2013. tikigreg posted a picture of a Munktiki mug that mine definitely has similarities to, but i assure you that they are purely coincidental. The mug pictured looks like a blatant copy of mine, albeit a very poorly executed one. Well it does to me at least. Does anyone else agree?

That's it for now. I have more pendants to glaze which didn't fit in the kiln so i'll have another firing due to do over the next few weeks before the crawl.

Cheers
swizzle

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 05:47 am   Permalink

You sure got a lot going on there.
Real cool.
Looks great.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 07:45 am   Permalink

Super swiz on fire

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 08:15 am   Permalink

Your mugs are very nicely done. Your glazing techniques are amazing. I love the black and red volcano looking mug.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation