FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts SWIZ - Mugs 'n' Stuff....Bombardier Ellistay.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )
SWIZ - Mugs 'n' Stuff....Bombardier Ellistay.
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-11 11:22 pm   Permalink

Wow, wow, and wow.

Beautiful work. I dig the new Moai- and the Lance Corporal Stoney bowl with them attached is blowing my mind up. Think they'd look rad as individual mugs, too. Want.

Thanks for coming back and posting!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-12 07:59 am   Permalink

You are a master of many things swizz, nice!

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-12 09:46 am   Permalink

Looks great Swizzle, looking forward to see the finished product, love the design.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-12 12:46 pm   Permalink

SwiZ- freekin way Kool my man....

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-13 10:45 am   Permalink

Nice mug Swizz!
How long before these go on sale?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-13 6:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks TikiAno. It had already crossed my mind to turn the moai into some S&P shakers and also possibly into a mug/shot glass but i'm not too sure it would work well as one of those.
The moai doesn't stand upright on its own so i need to cut the neck off the master sculpt and spin it around so that it will and then i can look at turning it into some S&P shakers and also maybe a shot glass as well. (It's too small to call it a mug).

Thanks for the compliments cy, hiltiki and hang10.

Cheers Skip. I hope to have these glazed and fired in week or two.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-13 10:23 pm   Permalink

Next step
Move out here so we can get mo Swiz suff

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-22 02:48 am   Permalink

Believe me hang10tiki, if i could move there i would. Until then you are just going to have to suck it up and pay the postage costs.

===================================================================================

I have glazed several pieces and dropped them off at my friends and am waiting for him to fire them. Amongst those are this bowl;

Although i'm looking forward to, and hoping, that the mugs i've glazed of my new design turn out well, this piece is the one i am most anxious about. We'll find out in a couple of days how it went.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-22 11:08 am   Permalink

Love your design, looking froward to seeing the colors.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-23 07:43 am   Permalink

Looks like that bowl could hold a few drinks

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 02:51 am   Permalink

Thanks hiltiki.

I haven't actually measured how much it holds hang10tiki but i think it might look a little deceptive as the volacno takes up a bit of space. I could possibly carve some out of the bottom of the volcano so that liquid can go inside it therefore increasing the volume but i just haven't done that on any yet. Not sure if i ever will as visually i just don't think it would look as good.

===========================================================================

So after more than a year of not doing any ceramics i picked up the glaze firing of all the pieces i had glazed and as to be expected it wasn't the most successful firing with only a couple of pieces coming out fine and not needing to be re-glazed.
As my glazes had been in storage for so long, just about all of them had dried up so i had to add water to them to rehydrate them and i think i made them too thin. Along with that and only pouring in one layer inside the mugs, just about all of them need to be re-glazed on the inside and fired again.

This is not the first one from the mold and this also could be re-glazed and fired (the inside is fine on this one, it's actually the outside that could be touched up) but it's the only one of my new mug design, Bombardier Ellistay, that came out acceptable.

The volcano bowl is another piece that is not 100% perfect and i am going to take the risk of touching up and re-firing it even though it could possibly crack. I thought i put enough coats of glaze on it but obviously i didn't because besides the moai, all the other colours on the bowl are patchy in places. I am happy with it and think it looks good but know that it could look even better with better glaze coverage on it.

As i've been pouring my new mug design i've also been pouring some of my older ones too. I only glazed a couple of these so far but again, this is the only one of the two that doesn't need to be fixed.

Staff Sergeant Nuoai.

And just one Corporal Punishment glazed at the moment which fortunately came out fine.

I have another electrician coming over next week to give me a quote and i think i am going to have to bite the bullet and unfortunately spend the big $$$'s to have my kiln wired up, but i think it is something that i just have to do. The convenience of being able to fire when i want and when i need to and also at the temperatures that suit me will be worth it in the end. The money spent on gas driving to and fro from either my friends house or my ceramics supplier, who is closer but i also have to pay for each firing, will add up in the long run eventually, not to mention all the time wasted sitting in the car when i could be spending that time working on more art.

So hopefully the next time i post not only will everything have been fixed but also they will have been fired by myself in my own home.

Cheers
swiz

Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 03:47 am   Permalink

That bowl's a knock out.
Those guys have some attitude.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 26 days ago; 10:53 am   Permalink

Very cool bowl. I recognize the blue sparkle glaze. It will be such fun to see. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 11:07 am   Permalink

That 1st one looks like it would fit right in the hand
With all those curves, easy to hold

Bowl colors are killer

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation