FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF.New mug, Staff Sergeant Nuoai.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF.New mug, Staff Sergeant Nuoai.
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-22 8:53 pm   Permalink

The purple mugs look great!

Hey, where did you get the Hibiscus flower? Looks a lot like my sticker design I drew years ago.

Keep up the good work. Are you headed to Maui anytime soon?

Follow me on Instagram @TikiRob
www.instagram.com/TikiRob
Maui Tiki Mugs & Tours www.mauitikitours.com
Maui Web Design www.tradewindgraphics.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-26 3:11 pm   Permalink

The mugs are look'n great Robbie!

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-04 04:37 am   Permalink

Thanks Mike. I appreciate your comments. Yeah, the layered glazing didn't turn out quite like i had envisioned. Also, i have to say i find it quite funny that you say you procrastinate and don't finish things either. You seem to be far more productive than i am.

hang10tiki. I get the feeling you like purple. That's twice you've said that now. It's my favourite colour.

Thanks Rob. I reckon that is your design. It's the same one as my tattoo. I just Googled hibiscus images and that was the one that i liked the most. I'm going to Tiki Oasis this year and will be stopping by Hawaii on my way home. I'll buy you a Mai Tai as commission.

Thanks Campbell. As are your carvings.

Here are a couple of mugs i had fired recently. The first one was just an experiment with the cyrstal glaze that is not food safe. The blue is another colour from the new brand i've been using that i haven't tried yet. Again i have the issue with brush strokes but i think it looks OK.

Turquoise and Nebula with my self mixed purple.

Now this mug is the first one i have got around to spraying, and i have to say that i am EXTREMELY happy with the result. Although i'll have to buy powders and mix my own glazes, from now on i'm pretty sure every mug i make will be glazed using a spray gun. NO MORE BRUSH STROKES!

Peacock and Pumpkin. (Sold)

I also finished the sign i started for my pendants. (See Mike, i'm not that useless.) : Like everything, you learn from your mistakes. The next one i make i'll do certain things differently. I've never used enamel paints before and although it looks OK in the photos, close up the paint is not that even/smooth. However, for what i made it for, i'm happy with the result.

The finished sign. And with the pendants. (I still didn't fit them all)

So that's it for the moment. I'm glazing a few more mugs tonight. Pics up when they've been fired.

Cheers
swizzle

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-04 05:22 am   Permalink

Your glazes are awesome!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-04-04 5:13 pm   Permalink

Brada Robbie, Very Nice!!! I like them both but the second one you sprayed.... Beautiful man.. great color combinations too.. I knew you'd like that sprayer setup, once you do it more it just gets easier and you'll learn some each time, at least I do.. See ya in August Bra..!

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-20 01:20 am   Permalink

Thanks VampiressRN.

Cheers Beachbumz. Yeah, i'm liking the spraygun. A few more sprayed mugs below with a something new i learnt exactly as you say.

Here's a few more mugs i picked up this week. This first mug is for a guy i met last year who runs a website called
Refined Vices and he said he'd be interested in one of my mugs and would like it in black. When i got this mug back there was a tiny bit on the tip of the nose where the glaze must have rubbed off in the box whilst i was transporting it so i painted some enamel over and now you can't even tell.

Black and my mixed purple.

With this mug i tried something different i hadn't tried before and i'm very happy with the result. I bought a wire brush and brushed over the greenware to give it this rough bark-like effect.

A bit of Chocolate and Rockingham Brown mixed together with Turquoise interior.

Detail.

Next is something new i tried that i have added to several mugs since i really like it. On page 4 there is a skull i made out of clay that i gave to a friend who cast some in resin for me. I decided to make a mold using the resin casting and added the skull to the back of some mugs.

Here's a pic of the castings he made.

And here's the mug with skull added. I'm calling these mugs General Ra Ra with a Tumour.

Same brown as above with Oyster Speckle White interior. (The skull was glazed in white also.)

This mug also has a skull and like the Refined Vices mug was glazed using the spray gun, the two brown mugs were painted by brush. There are a couple spots on both black mugs where the coat of glaze was not thick enough so close up you can just see through it. It's in his nostrils and just under the mouth and also along the top edge where this happened. I learnt from these mugs where to go over them with the next lot i spray to make sure i get better coverage. I think i also learnt that by spraying, even if a particular area ends up with a thicker coat of glaze i don't think it is going to actually get darker there. It will blend in with rest. Well at least that's what i think will happen.

Black and turquoise with a tumour.

And last is a mug i had a go at carving a Moko on. I painted black glaze into the carved sections and then wiped it off. It was then sprayed. I used the Rockingham Brown glaze but watered it down so it wouldn't clog up the spraygun. I was quite surprised to see the colour it ended up being although i must say really like the outcome.

Rockingham Brown and Oyster White again.

That's it for the moment.
Cheers,
swizzle

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-20 10:04 am   Permalink

It sure is fun to see what you do with your mug. They all look great, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-04-20 11:44 am   Permalink

Once again Robbie, VERY COOL! The black with purple glaze looks great together and the skull attached.. xlnt.. The wire brush is great, gives your mugs a nice glaze texture too..
Great job brada I really like them all, keep em' coming..

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 12:29 am   Permalink

Thank you Wendy and Scott. Up until now i've really just been experimenting with glaze colours more than anything. Although i should really start a new design i'm enjoying playing around with different textures, carving detail, and adding the skulls at the moment. I also bought some matt finish glaze which i've mixed into three diffderent shades of brown so i look forward to seeing how that turns out.

When i finished adding my last post on Friday night i went out to Kustom Lane Gallery to see the
David Lozeau exhibition. For those of you that don't know Davids work, he can also be found here in the other crafts thread on TC under the name of Clysdalle. David is out here for the exhibition at Kustom Lane and then he's heading up north for a hot rod show next weekend.

I messaged him on FB before he came and asked if he would do a custom painting on one of my mugs for me. He said that wouldn't be a problem and i must say i was extremely happy when i thought about offering one on my mugs as a trade for the painting and he said yes. The mug i traded is the woodgrain mug with the turquoise interior, and the mug he painted is the black one with the skull 'tumour', both from my last post.

Here's a few pics of David and I, the mug that he painted which i think he did an absolutely awesome job on, and also one of his original enamel paintings that i purchased.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-22 07:58 am   Permalink

Wow, I'm sure glad I didn't miss this post. That's a terrific story and customized mug. See you at Oasis, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-22 8:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-20 01:20, swizzle wrote:

Nice one, Robbie!

PS Watch out for that Low-Zo guy. He's trouble.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-01 11:29 am   Permalink

Hey thanks again for coming to the show and letting me toss some paint on that cool mug of yours!!

...and you better look out Bowana!!

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-17 02:55 am   Permalink

Thanks Wendy. I'm very happy with the trade i made.

Thank you Bowana. I'm extremely flattered to receive a compliment from you.

G'day everyone. Picked up a few more mugs today so here they are.

This first mug is one i wanted to test on. It has black glaze painted onto the eyebrows and goatee (i roughed them up with sandpaper) and then wiped back and then has been glazed with the same lime green i have glazed a few mugs before with, however i wanted to try spraying it. Although it is actually a brush-on glaze, with a little added water to dilute it so it wouldn't block up the spray gun, it worked out fine so i'm very happy with the outcome. There is a small glaze skip on the top edge however which will need to be touched up and re-fired.

Lime Green and Paris Green interior.

Next up is a couple of custom mugs for some friends. The first is for a friend who is the brand ambassador for 666 VODKA. He requested white on the inside so that you could see the colour of the drink which made sense. The 6's aren't quite perfect but they are basically the same font as the logo. I had to freehand them from a pic off the computer.
The second mug is for
Watango. I'm buying one of his most recent carvings he's made and figured making a trade would knock a few $$$ off for me. Both the guys liked the rough wood grain finish on a couple of my last mugs so that's what they asked for.

Rockingham Brown and Oyster Speckle White.

Rockingham Brown and Lime Green.

These next few mugs are part of my 'new', 'Grey Series'. I have to say that i'm very,very happy with how all three of these turned out. I added some black(powder)stain to the slip so that i could play with textures on the outside which i then would only have to glaze with a clear over the top. After the mugs had dried they lost a lot of colour so i thought i was going to have to add more stain to the slip however after being fired with the clear on top they darkened up again. I'll probably still try making another darker batch though.
As the mugs are grey i figured carving rocks into one of them was a no-brainer. I was quite excited by this mug as i was carving it and i'm really happy with the result. Although it's not orange it kinda looks 'Thing' from The Fantastic Four so that's what i'm calling it.

(All these mugs have had black glaze brushed on and then been wiped back.)

Mauve and ummmmm......black and clear matte.

This mug has been textured with a steel wool scrubbing pad. There's a couple of spots where i sprayed the glaze on too thick because i didn't move the gun around enough but that is something i put down to a learning mistake. Unfortunately the pics are a bit blurry so it doesn't show up in the photos but the profile pic gives you an idea of what the surface looks like.

Dusky Pink interior.

And finally, my attempt at 'Fat Lava'. The information i could find on the net and what has been given to me from local ceramicists on that style/technique has been very minimal. As i don't have my own kiln it makes it impossible to really experiment, however one of the guys who works where i get my mugs fired gave me a very interesting tip which is what i tried on this mug. Unfortunately that's something i want to keep to myself although i'm sure some of the mug makers out there probably have an idea of how i achieved this effect.
I wasn't quite sure of this mug but as i was glazing it i could see it coming together and having some potential. When i picked these mugs up today this is the first one i pulled out of the box to look at and i have to say, i love it. This finish is something i'll definitely be playing around with more.

Paris Green interior.

That's it for now. I have a handful of mugs to glaze which will then need to be dropped off to be fired so i'll be back in a few weeks.

Cheers
swizzle

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2012-06-08 06:13 ]

lunavideogames
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-26 7:53 pm   Permalink

Wow! Very nice job! Quite an inspiring story. I am not very artistic, but I have always wanted to try to make a mug or 2. I can't believe the results you got so quickly. I am impressed! I am also a big purple fan!

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-26 8:32 pm   Permalink

Way to go Robbie!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation