FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF. Same same but different.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF. Same same but different.
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-29 09:44 am   Permalink

Hi Swizzle, I sure would like to see the step by steps on how you glazed the bulls. Did you use tape? I can't begin to guess how you did these glazes with such straight lines. They are perfect, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-29 1:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks Mike. I'm pretty happy to have the kiln finally running. I'm glad you like the bulls, i'm very happy with them. When i glazed the first one i was expecting the crystal glazes to move myself so i was quite surprised when they didn't. As the first one came out perfectly like i was hoping i decided to try something different with the second one. Although the pinkish colour glaze didn't move i wasn't sure how the blue and purple ones would behave and it was the blue one i was most concerned about, so i was extremely happy and surprised when i opened the kiln.

And i'm actually quite enjoying my summer because it hasn't really been hot yet. When it does start warming up i'll be wishing i was with you where it is cooler.

Hi Wendy. Unfortunately i never think to take progress shots as i'm doing things so i cant show you how i did the bull, but yes, i did use tape. I masked it off with the tape that airbrush artists use to outline flames when they spraypaint hot-rods.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-12-29 2:08 pm   Permalink

Go Swizzle, go!!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-29 4:12 pm   Permalink

Love Bob-O-Nut

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-29 5:33 pm   Permalink

The bulls glazing just is excellent. I like all your tests too. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-03 09:07 am   Permalink

The bulls aren't my style, but I dig what you did with the glazes. And actually, I like all the nutty glazes on your mugs too. Shame about the dust.

The Bob 'o Nut is downright nutty! I wasn't a huge bob fan either, but I too like what Wendy has done, and your Bob o' Nut is an EXCELLENT addition. You need to do a run of them, then get that run here to the US for someone to sell/ship for you, to save everyone on shipping. I'm pretty sure you'd find quite a few TC'ers here that would want one. (And a few on ebay.)

It's real kooky, man, and a good addition to what is usually pretty bland coconut mugs.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-11 02:45 am   Permalink

Thanks GROG, hang10Tiki and Wendy.

Thanks for the various comments Hale Tiki.
I know what you're getting at with having someone there sell them for me but i'm not sure it would work. With the money saved sending several mugs over at once, that difference would just be added back onto the postage cost having to resend it from there, so it would probably work out the same as having me just send it direct. Plus any money the seller would make of the mug would just increase the price so it's probably more convenient to order one directly from me.

Speaking of which, i forgot to mention in my last post that i'm making these mugs to order and if anyone is interested, please send me a PM to discuss the details. Your name can be carved into the back of it if you'd prefer.
I've had a few people show interest and order a Bob 'O' Nut from me already since my original post, so i've been busy pouring them to get the kiln filled. Here's a pic fresh from the kiln after their bisque fire.

Also, my custom super-carved Tiki Bob from Wendy arrived. Here he is next to Bob 'O' Nut.

And finally, when i stayed with Wendy on my trip to the U.S. in August she gave me a couple of bisqued pieces which i could glaze how i chose. This is the first piece, a Bumatay pendant in Rockingham Brown. It took me ages but i finally decided on what colour i'm going to glaze the other piece (not a pendant, something different) of which i'll post pictures of when it's done. Hopefully it'll look good in the colour i've chosen. Thanks Wendy, you're an angel.

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2013-01-11 02:50 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-08 04:44 am   Permalink

It's been a while since i last posted and in that time i've been playing around with new glazes and finishes which you'll see below. I've also started on a new piece.

First up is a Frankoma War God which was another gift from the lovely Wendy when i stayed with her and Dan. It took me forever to decide how to glaze it before i ended up choosing this crystal glaze.

This is a group shot of the first batch of my Bob'O'Nut mugs that went out. I had an issue with the second batch where i had opened up the peep holes when the kiln was cooling down as well as cracking the lid and the mugs that were near the peep holes developed cracks in the glaze. It was both on the inside and outside on the opposite sides so i get the feeling the mug is actually cracked internally also, and although it is something that you can only really see close up, and i'm not sure if they actually leak or not, i've decided to make those mugs again.

Here's a couple of General Ra Ra's. I tried a couple of different things on one and when a friend saw it she HAD to have one also. Black one is mine, purple one is hers, both with added horns and nose piercing.

Next is my logo and the Careless Navigator logo which i pour each time i pour something as it's easy to do and clean up and also gives me something to test new glazes and/or techniques on. I also picked up a really cheap cat mold off eBay (i'm the male version of the crazy cat lady) which i've also been pouring just to play around with. (The purple logo is from an earlier post, i just went over it again with a crystal glaze.)

Here's the cats with two new finishes i finally worked out. It's awesome having my own kiln as i can now experiment a lot easier.

As you can see on the cat on the left (Zombie Kitty, who i think looks great) and on a few of the logos above, i've worked out a technique which gives me a pitted effect. When i finally worked out how to do that (i've been trying to work that out since i started making mugs two years ago now) i had to try it out on a couple of Ra Ra's. I'm extremely happy with the result but also extremely disappointed that i dropped the one on the left and broke it. The other one will be going off for a trade so i've made myself another two. They just need to be glazed and fired, although i'll be using a darker blue on the inside on those.

And last up is a new piece i've made, "Lance Corporal Stoney". I made the molds a couple of weeks ago and made the first piece on the weekend. Unfortunately i can't take credit for designing the Tiki but everything else is all mine. I picked up a plastic mold off eBay several years ago which i had previously only poured plaster casts of and then painted. I decided to use that to make a plater mold and then make a plaster mold of that to use for slip casting. I also made a bowl mold using a metal bowl i bought for cheap from a discount store (no pictures).

Here's the plastic mold and the plaster casting.

I still have no idea what the things on the bottom are (legs?) but for what i wanted to do the Tiki needed to stand upright so i had to cover them no matter what, so i added clay to make the Tiki look like it is sitting in a pile of rocks.

Here's a pic of the mold and the first casting to come from it and also where i'm at so far.

I plan on making several variations of this bowl and this first one is actually different to what i originally had in mind, although i'll definitely be making what i first envisioned also. There is a little more clean-up to do when it dries a bit more and i should be able to glaze it next week. I've already decided on the colours i'm going to do it, i just hope it comes out looking as good as i'd like. I'll post some pics of it when it's done.

Cheers
swizzle

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-08 06:27 am   Permalink

Swizzle, I wondered the same thing for a long time. I got that mold many moons ago. It's supposed to be the bottom of his headdress.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-08 07:55 am   Permalink

Swizz!
The General Ra Ra's with the horns and tusks are great! Love that grungy and pitted glaze too.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-04-08 10:53 am   Permalink

Swizzers,

The stuff's looking good. Looks like you're having fun.

DON"T OPEN THE KILN TOO SOON! Patience you bastard. If you haven't gotten rid of the Coconut Bobs with the cracked glaze, put some more glaze on 'em and throw 'em back in the kiln. (cover them well with clear glaze). The glaze will probably fill in the cracks. Then just offer them for sale at a cheaper price and explain their flaws so people know what they're getting. That way they aren't a total loss for you.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2013-04-08 10:54 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-08 11:52 am   Permalink

Swizzle that bowl is going to be awesome! I can't wait to see it glazed.

It must cost a boatload to ship things between Australia and mainland US!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-13 7:10 pm   Permalink

I really like the logos, Robbie!

How'd you make that bowl so smooth? is it a casting? Did you throw it on a potter's wheel?

Bowie

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-13 8:41 pm   Permalink

My bet is that its a cast. It's hard to make one smooth on the potters wheel. Hey Swizzle that's one fried cat in black. I'm glad you are still having so much fun with glazes. Sometimes they torture me. I like being an angel as long as its one that is living on this planet. I miss you, Wendy

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-27 12:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-04-08 06:27, Hale Tiki wrote:
Swizzle, I wondered the same thing for a long time. I got that mold many moons ago. It's supposed to be the bottom of his headdress.

Well that actually makes sense to me now.

Thanks MDM.

Quote:

On 2013-04-08 10:53, GROG wrote:
Swizzers,

DON"T OPEN THE KILN TOO SOON! Patience you bastard.

Haha. I must admit patience is not one of my strong points although i learnt a valuable lesson by my mistake.

Thanks LoriLovesTiki. Glazed pics below. I'll be taking this bowl to the post office sometime this week to get a cost on shipping. My General Ra Ra's cost just under $30AUS to send and the Bob'O'Nuts are $40AUS when packed. I have no idea what this is going to be.

Thanks David. The bowl is a slip casting.

I miss you too Wendy. I'm hoping to make it back sooner rather than later.

Ok, so just a quick update. First is a pic of another batch of Bob'O'Nuts ready to go to their new owners. I tried to reglaze them as GROG suggested and it worked a little bit. Some cracks covered but others didn't. Fortunately it happened to work on the faces so you can only see the cracks on the inside. I also filled them with water and let them sit overnight and they don't leak, so that's a good thing.
The odd one out is what happens when you make custom pieces for friends who aren't actually into Tiki but want to support you. They choose their football teams colours.

Here's another couple of General Ra Ra's. Unfortunately i dropped one of them in my previous post and broke it so i decided to make another pair as the the one that survived is going to be traded with another Tiki Central member. (I'll post pics of what i'm trading for when they have finished the piece.) I also got to try out my new blue glaze.

And here is my new bowl after being glazed. I am extremely happy with how it came out. The rocks need a coat of clear on them but i don't have any brush-on clear and didn't want to spray it as i didn't want the clear going over the top of the other glazes and possibly affecting them. When i buy some i'll go over the rocks and re-fire it. Also, i'll be going about making any future ones another way. Instead of attaching the tiki to the bowl when it's wet i'm going to position it in it's place when it's been glazed and ready to fire and actually have the glaze fuse the two parts together. It was quite awkward to glaze and get into all the tight spots without making a mess so although it came out fine it will just be easier to do that way.

Cheers
swizzle

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2013-06-08 04:47 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation