FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF.New mug, Staff Sergeant Nuoai.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF.New mug, Staff Sergeant Nuoai.
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-24 8:49 pm   Permalink

Wow Robbie, you are cranking out the mugs, good to see your in progress photos!

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-10 01:30 am   Permalink

Thanks David. Airbrush, definitely not a deft hand.

Quote:

On 2014-02-25 06:27, tikiskip wrote:
"Admittedly i still have a lot of issues with glazing"
Yeah but ya don't show those.
Not every light I make is a winner.

Now get busy, we only have so much time on this world to make our mark.
PS I love that crusty barnacle look.

I do show them actually, it's just that you don't see them unless you look close up. And i'm trying to get busy, i'm just a lazy S.O.B. And i love that crusty barnacle look too, that's why i use it so much.

Thanks hiltiki. Bob'O'nut has been quite a hit.

Thanks TikiAno. Yes it's airbrush. I try to avoid using a paint brush if i don't have to, especially covering large areas.

Cheers hang10tiki.

Thanks Chippy. I'm used to see comments from you on IG so this was a surprise.

Not nearly as much as you are Rob. You are a machine compared to me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So Kustom Lane gallery's opening night at their new location was a huge success and i'm proud to say that my fountain bowl (on page 14) was the only piece to sell on the night before i left, besides a black velvet painting that i bought which i'll post pictures of when i collect it, although a few pieces have also sold since then.

That fountain bowl was quite popular so i received a couple of orders which is what i'm about to post pictures of. I did a bit of pouring so i have quite a bit of bisqued work ready to go but i've only glazed a few pieces which were fired this week.

All of the Lance Corporal Stoney bowls i make i am glazing different or using different textures and/or colour combinations so anyone who buys one is getting a 1/1 piece, although this one pictured is very similar to one i've already made, it is a fountain version with the mouth cut out and has black in the recesses instead of brown so it is still different.

This bowl was one of the very first i poured and i didn't add any texture to the outside of it then so it's been sitting around waiting for me to decide what glaze to use. I went for this black crystal glaze (which i love) and this is the first time i decided to add some orange to the lava in the volcano and i was so happy with the outcome i did it on a couple more pieces.
When i first fired this piece there were a couple of spots on the inside where i must have spilt a little glaze which i missed cleaning up so it came out with a couple of blemishes which were quite noticable and i was not happy about, so i figured the best way to cover them was to use another crystal glaze and refire it and i'm very glad i did. I'm really happy with this volcano bowl.

I'm not sure what gave me the inspiration to modify the rim of this bowl like this but i feel it worked out well. Here's what it looked like before it was glazed.

And here it is glazed. I had this idea for the glaze not long after i made it and also added the yellow to the volcano after seeing how good it looked on the previous bowl. The blue glaze is a little darker than i would have liked but i really like this bowl. I'll definitely make some more like it.

Here's another Colonel Peek-a-boo that i glazed while i had the blue in the airbrush canister glazing the other pieces. I try to glaze as many pieces as i can with the one colour at the same time so that i'm not going back and forth cleaning all the tools/utensils.

A Brigadier VF1 glazed at the same time with yellow glaze in the volcano.

One of the Corporal Punishment/Colonol Peek-a-boo goblets. I had this glaze combination in mind from the start when i made this one. Worked out well.

Several more necklaces i beaded up with the skull pendant i make. (Some of the pics are saved from Instagram where i've used filters, that's why the lighting look different).

And finally, something that's not tiki but i'm showing it anyway, another bull taken from a mold from the 50's or 60's. My friend gave me a few of these to clean up the greenware and glaze as i pleased and another friend loves them and wanted one. Again these have been sitting around for a while and as i love this glaze so much i knew i'd be happy with it even and would keep it for myself even if my friend didn't like it. But he does.

That's it for now.

Cheers
swizzle

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2014-04-10 14:37 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-10 07:17 am   Permalink

Loving the new volcano bowls!! The lava flow and that bright blue glaze on the inside is very striking.

- Dale

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-12 6:25 pm   Permalink

Good to see you back at it!!!
Looking good.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-13 09:34 am   Permalink

lookin good Swizzle! Nice'n clean stuff there. MP

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-14 08:56 am   Permalink

Always enjoy checking out your work swizzle, love the barnacle-like glazes.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chippy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-14 3:34 pm   Permalink

I am sorry I am not here on TC much, but while the kid is at school I can take a break and hit the computer.

It is great to see these mugs on the big screen and not just on IG, on the phone.

They look great!

Keep up the good work.

View Profile of Chippy Send a personal message to Chippy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-23 04:02 am   Permalink

Thanks littlegiles. There's another new one pictured below.

Thanks tikiskip, mp, cy (i love that barnacle-like effect myself) and Chippy.

So it's been a little while since i've posted and haven't been doing a great deal of work although i do have a new mug design you'll see in a moment.

First off here are several more pendants. I've actually made quite a few of the skull ones but i'm only showing a handful here, and there are a few more moais than what is pictured also.

This particular one i made for myself. The shells came from a necklace i found at a thrift store.

We have the Unholy Rabble Tiki Punksters Suck Em' Up Melbourne Mai Tai Crawl coming up in November so i've made a few more wall hangings. I have more but these are the only ones i've glazed so far with new glazes i picked up while i was in the U.S. in June.

Here's another volcano bowl which i am devastated has cracked. When i opened the kiln i was so happy as it turned out even better than i was hoping for and it looked fine. It wasn't until i was taking photos of it that i noticed it had cracked and after having a closer look at it i found another crack on the opposite side. I spoke to my ceramics supplier and he said i could try refiring and the glaze might re-melt to cover the crack or it could also open up further. I don't think i want to take the risk ruining it completely so i'm just going to leave it. As a display piece the cracks are not noticable unless you look up close. Being winter here i think the kiln cooled down too quickly as the ambient temperature outisde the kiln was so cold and also the kiln wasn't completely full to retain the heat, although there is also the possibilty there was an issue with the various glazes i used. I've already started on another one i'll glaze very similar (i'm going to try a different blue on the outside) which i hope stays in one piece.

And finally my new mug design. He's new, he's a moai, it's Staff Sergeant Nuoai.

And here's a pic of a few more with additional carving on them i still have to glaze.

That's it for now.

Cheers
swizzle

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2014-08-23 18:57 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-23 07:52 am   Permalink

Spectacular glazes, Robbie! Esp the unfortunate volcano bowl. Sorry about the crack. I've tried the reglazing trick, and it will work if the crack is small enough. But as you said, you take your chances that it might get bigger. Make another one!
Keep up the good work!

Bowie

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tonie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-23 10:32 am   Permalink

I just love your work! So clean and beautiful.

View Profile of Tiki Tonie Send a personal message to Tiki Tonie  Email Tiki Tonie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraFremgen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-08-23 11:10 am   Permalink

Hi Swizzle,

It's smart that you are making tiki mugs through an adult education course. That is an affordable way to access the equipment. I'm more of a painter, so I appreciate seeing pictures of your process. Please keep them coming!

Your mug has so much character already! I too like the one eye brow raised.. hehe

Sandra

www.PandaandMe.com

View Profile of SandraFremgen Send a personal message to SandraFremgen  Email SandraFremgen Goto the website of SandraFremgen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-23 9:53 pm   Permalink

Looking good. Really like the new mug design. Can't wait to see more.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-24 06:09 am   Permalink

Digging all the new stuff, especially Staff Sergeant (and my favorite is the first glaze combo!)

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-27 6:07 pm   Permalink

Hey Swiz,

Love the new volcano bowl - it's shape, the barnacle glaze on the bowl and the yellow on the volcano. Seriously beautiful!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-08-28 07:46 am   Permalink

Swizzle your work is pure tiki and wonderful. I wish we could have met up with you on your last trip. I hope you are well and running around again. Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation