FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF.New mug, Staff Sergeant Nuoai.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF.New mug, Staff Sergeant Nuoai.
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-03-30 12:06 pm   Permalink

Swizzle your mug came out great! My last mold I was able to make with very minimal air bubbles, etc.. I think I was using to much of the mold soap and it was creating extra work for me when I pulled it out of the mold.. after cutting off the excess slip let harden just a little and smooth it down with a kinda wet spoonge then get in there with your detail tools..
GROG that's a great way to get your top and bottoms nice and flat, I learned that after making a few.. I use my concrete sidewalk outside the house, works perfect as long as clean it first from any rocks and tings..
Very Cool Swizzle, congrats on your first mug brada.. Here comes the fun part, Glazing!

[ This Message was edited by: Beachbumz 2011-03-30 12:07 ]

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-30 1:03 pm   Permalink

Congrats Swizz!! Have fun and let your imagination run FREE!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-30 1:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks Wendy, GROG, Beachbumz, and MadDogMike for your comments and advice.

Wendy, I have only one more class left for this semester but will go back after the Easter break and do another one. I'm also going in on the Tuesday night class again to pour another mug, so i'll have had three mugs poured in total from this class. I've never heard of screen sandpaper, i'll have to look into that.

GROG, thanks for the very logical and practical advice about the sandpaper. Didn't even think of that.

Beachbumz, my teacher told me to go buy a proper sea sponge to clean it up with, so that is exactly what i'll be doing. And your right, the fun part is coming up next, glazing.

MDM, ummm.....thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2011-03-30 13:41 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-03-30 1:47 pm   Permalink

Glazing sucks!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-30 1:53 pm   Permalink

Glazing is great fun when it works - but when it fails it really SUCKS!!!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-30 2:04 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the boost in confidence there guys.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-30 8:18 pm   Permalink

Glazing is the fun part because it's the final step...Everything leads up to glazing. I suggest glaze testing as much as possible... But your first few mugs will always be a learning experience. I can't wait to see what color you choose and how it turns out. I will pour the glaze into the mug and then spin it as I pour out the excess glaze. It's an easy way to get Even coverage on the inside.

I'm excited to see each step you take, keep posting the photos!

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-30 8:50 pm   Permalink

At our hardware store it's those large rectangles in the picture that I cut up. Open stock in the sandpaper section.

Then in plumbing there are rolls called Abrasive Open Mesh by Oatey. People buy it to remove hard water rings from toilets.

There are good uses for both types.

This stuff is good and it lasts so much longer than sandpaper which clogs.

I'm enjoying your journey, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 01:02 am   Permalink

Pulled the second mug from the mold today. I cant believe how easily it came out. I also suprised myself with what a good job I did cleaning up the rough patches on the mold. Here are the pics I posted yesterday of the first mug next to the second one for comparison. The lighting on the pics are a bit different but you should be able to see that all the scuff marks are now gone.

I was planning to make another mold this weekend, but I think i'm going to spend the time cleaning up the mold I already have further, and also cleaning up the master and doing a second mold of that when it's smoother all over.

P.S. MauiTiki, thanks for the tip. That's exactly how I had planned to coat the inside already. Great minds think alike.

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 8:20 pm   Permalink

Wow, second mug looks good. The longer you leave the mug in the mold the easier it is to get out because it shrinks as it dries. Some come out easier than others. I still have to clean up scratch marks on some of my mugs if I don't remove them from the mold carefully. Keep up the great work!

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 01:08 am   Permalink

This weeks update.
After pulling my first two mugs from the mold, last weekend I decided to clean up the master and make another mold from that. I used a scraper and smoothed out the back of the mug and then carved out the eye sockets and around the goatee, giving it more definition. I used my teachers technique, and also MauiTiki's, to make a three piece mold that is a little different from the original. I was a bit concerned that I might have some undercuts, and also that I hadn't made the separation line level, but the first pour from my new mold came out fine. (I was surprised to see that the second mug was smaller than the original when I took these photos. I gather that that is from the master shrinking from the time I originally made it, to when I went back to it to make the changes i did).

First, here is a pic of the second mold. It's a little rough, but it has done its job.

Now here are front, side, and back views of the original mug next to version 2.0. There is quite a noticeable difference between the two with the deeper carving I did on the resculpt.

I now have four mugs from the original mold and one from the second. Having two molds, I plan to use both and make mugs from both although I will use the mugs from the first mold to use as test glazes and give those to my friends. Version 2.0 will be the ones I plan to sell. If anyone is interested please send me a PM. I'm still not sure how many I will make and also what the final colour will be.

My ceramic course has finished at the moment and won't resume until after the Easter break. When I go back, two of the mugs will have had their bisque fire so i'll be ready to glaze my first ever mugs. That's about a month away, so there probably wont be any posts until then. Although I already have an idea for my second mug where I plan to step it up, not just one, but several levels. I hope I can pull it off and am not biting of more than I can chew. If I get any of that done in the meantime, i'll post some pics.

Cheers
swizzle

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2011-04-08 01:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2011-04-08 03:03 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-08 07:47 am   Permalink

I like the deeper carves Swizz. Over in the Carving Forum they say "The deeper the better!"

danlovestikis
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 08:41 am   Permalink

That's a really cool mug. I like the deeper version also. Did you come up with a good purple? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-08 08:57 am   Permalink

Of course, the downside is that a mug with deeper carves holds less rum!

ebtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 2:14 pm   Permalink

Lookin' great - definitely let us know when you're ready to release them into the wild!

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation