FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF.New mug, Staff Sergeant Nuoai.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF.New mug, Staff Sergeant Nuoai.
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-08 5:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-08 08:57, MadDogMike wrote:
Of course, the downside is that a mug with deeper carves holds less rum!

It's funny you say that MDM. After I had cleaned the mug up I was looking inside it and thought to myself, "Well, I won't be putting as much ice in this as I will be in the other one".

Thanks for the compliments MDM, Wendy and ebtiki.

No I haven't come up with a purple yet Wendy. My local store told me that he is looking at importing some soon anyway, so i'll be able to mix that a bit easier when I get some.

I'll let you know ebtiki.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-29 01:58 am   Permalink

Just thought i'd post a quick update. Here are some pics of all the mugs I have poured of "General Ra Ra" (yes, that's his name ) so far. These are all ready to be bisque fired. I have two more of the original sculpt fired already that are at school and will be the first to be glazed when I return for the new semester next week. I'm really looking forward to it.

First sculpt.

Second sculpt.

I'm quite suprised how much smaller the mug on the far right is compared to the rest of them. That mug was the first I poured with the second mold I made and was also poured at school. The slip that I used at school was a lot thicker than the one I bought from my ceramic supplier. Obviously it has something to do with the amount of water in the slip and how that is sucked into the mold and/or the fact that it is the first time the mold is being used, but I cant quite get my head around it at the moment.

The mug on the right of this pic (below) is the last I poured with the slip I had. Unfortunately, whilst it filled the mold up to the top of the mug itself, there wasn't enough to fill the spare to allow for shrinkage. Every five minutes or so I kept tipping the mold on it's side to pour more slip towards the top. I thought that I would just have to scrap this mug but when I pulled the mug from the mold it happened to be at the exact height the mug would have ended up after I cut the spare off anyway, it just happened to be a lot thinner than it should be and you could actually see lines around the top where it dried each time I tipped the mold (forgot to take photos). Because of that this mug will be just another test glaze i'll keep for myself (all the others except two are spoken for) so I decided to modify it a little. I used some of the excess clay from the spare I cut off another mug and made his nose larger and added a Fu Manchu style beard to the side of his mouth. It's a little hard to see in the pics.

(Next to an original so you can see the difference.)

I also customized one of each sculpt with some woodgrain detail. I'm looking forward to glazing these two to see how they turn out.

More pics in a week or so of my very first glazed mugs. I can't wait. Cross your fingers for me please.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-29 05:54 am   Permalink

You've got a production line running there Swizz. Those will look wicked cool when glazed!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-29 09:58 am   Permalink

Those look super good especially with the wood grain. I am still amazed at how sharp the teeth look, no touch up needed? Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ebtiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-04-29 5:10 pm   Permalink

Love the woodgrain!

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-30 03:53 am   Permalink

Thanks MDM, Wendy and ebtiki.

Wendy, you asked if there was no clean up needed on the teeth but there is. I pulled another couple of mugs from the molds today. The one on the left is the first sculpt and that needs it quite a bit. The second sculpt only really needs a bit done in the corners, however I do go over the whole thing. The 2nd pic is a bit blurry but you can see the difference.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-30 12:29 pm   Permalink

Ok now it I can see it's like when I cast. Thank you for the close up. Great photos, terrific tiki, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2011-04-30 1:55 pm   Permalink

What a great design Swizzle, Your woodgrain looks great, can't wait to see some glaze on them.. Where do we sign up??

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-17 05:39 am   Permalink

Well it's been quite a long time since I started my ceramics course to get to here but my first glazed mugs have come out of the kiln and home. This is the very first mug from the mold. I used some colours that were available at my school that I liked on the outside and the interior is the purple that I tried mixing myself. It actually turned out quite a nice colour. The outside of the mug was a pale green with a blue over the top. I was hoping to get a speckled effect, but this is how it turned out. Not what I wanted but I still think it looks pretty cool.

This mug is the second from the mold. One of my closest friends asked to have that one and he glazed it himself. I chose the colours, which are a beautiful jade/blue on the outside and a grey on the inside. He decided to do the "eyes" the same colour as the inside. (They are not the eyes. They are the eyelids.) I like the colours but not the effect. Doesn't matter, it's his mug.

The third mug I glazed is going to my good friend
Careless Navigator. I am extremely stoked how this mug came out. I used a dark brown on the inside from my local ceramic supplier and the outside has a lovely brown from school called "Rockingham Brown". Unfortunately it's quite a thin mug so it has a crack running down the back from the top which you can just see in the photo and also has a small area on the top edge where the glaze didn't cover it enough. Other than that I think it came out awesome. Very happy.

These next few pics are of a Moai gear stick shifter and skull pendant a friend of mine will be casting in resin. I just glazed them in the colours I had in front of me to give them a smooth surface to cast from. I should have some of these to sell at some stage. Not sure what colours they are going to be though.

Well that's it for a few weeks until I have some more to show. Glazed another couple tonight but have to wait for them to be fired.

WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-17 07:37 am   Permalink

Very cool!

Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-17 11:39 am   Permalink

Great results Swizz, especially the wood grain look! You just never know what will happen with glaze, always an element of unpredictability. On the little glaze skip places, you can often brush a little glaze over the spot and re-fire it BUT if that mug already cracked in the kiln you run the risk of it cracking more. Cracks SUCK!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz

Posted: 2011-05-17 2:26 pm   Permalink

Awesome Swizzle! They both look great, the woodgrain with that glaze looks really good. I have 3 or 4 now with cracks that look great as planters..
Crack does Suck!
Say no to Crack!

Aloha

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-17 8:24 pm   Permalink

Looking good, Robbie. I especially like the wood grain one. Too bad about the crack.
Crack is whack!

Bowie

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ebtiki

Posted: 2011-05-17 10:08 pm   Permalink

Coming along nicely - the woodgrain mug is fantastic!

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 05:31 am   Permalink

Thanks for the compliments WestADad, MadDogMike, Beachbumz, Bowana and ebtiki. Quite happy with the results so far considering i'm new to this.

Well tonight i glazed another two mugs in my class, plus i have another woodgrain one done in the second sculpt and a different brown which i glazed during the week, so i'll have three more mugs to be fired, hopefully ready next week. Tonight i also picked up the mug i glazed last week. It came out exactly as i hoped. I brushed black glaze into the teeth and all the crevices and then wiped it back so there was only a small amount left behind. Then i glazed 3 coats over the top and it worked perfectly.

(Left pic is with the flash on. Couldn't decide which showed the colours up better).

But................................................................

.....it shattered in the kiln.

It's hard to tell in the following pic because it's out of focus, but the black glaze i used on the inside was very thick.

My teacher and i are pretty confident that being so thick, as it was being fired it was shrinking/contracting at a much different rate to the outside glaze. If any of you experts out there could confirm that, or offer some other reason/s, i'd love to know. It's a shame because i was really happy with this one, but i suppose i can put it down to part of the learning process. I have to say i made sure the mugs i glazed tonight didn't have as much on them. I just hope i still put on ENOUGH glaze to get an even finish.

P.S. I also started a
thread in Collecting Tiki asking for feedback. I'd like to hear from those who read this what they think.

Cheers
swizzle

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation