FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF.New mug, Staff Sergeant Nuoai.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
SWIZ....MUGS 'N' STUFF.New mug, Staff Sergeant Nuoai.
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-21 11:30 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Well i finally glazed a few more mugs with the new brand glazes i recently purchased. They have 38 colours available and i have 6 at the moment. There's definitely a lot more i want to buy as there are some very nice colours to choose from.

First is the replacement mug for the black one in one of my previous posts. The mug was a gift for a friends 40th and i wasn't happy with how the black one turned out, there were a few blemishes, so i made another.(* denotes new brand)

Light Jade* exterior and Peacock Green inside.

The following two mugs are for a friend and his partner who live interstate. He requested green and she purple, so for these two instead of using the same colours on both mugs as i had previously on the mugs for the owners of the Tiki Bar and Lounge i used two different greens and two different purples to mix it up a bit. I'm very happy with how Brett's mug turned out however Jo's mug has a small patch on the inside where the glaze didn't take, you can see that in the photo. I'll only reglaze it if he really wants me to. It's not something you can see when it's sitting on the shelf. Unfortunately the brushstrokes are still quite noticable also but it is a great colour. Both mugs have their respective names carved into the back.

Paris Green* and the Purple i mixed myself that i have used several times before.

Mauve* exterior and Peacock Green inside.

So far all the mugs i have made i've given to friends except one that i sold to an aquaintance. This mug i'll also sell to an aquaintance who saw my post on Facebook and said he'd like one. He runs a cafe and everything in there is green, so naturally that's what colour he requested.

Paris Green* again with Lime Green.

Now this last mug has a bit of story to it which i won't go into because it'll take forever to write. It is going to a friend who lives in Arizona and who's favourite colour is pink. It is because of her i was trying to find a nice pink that i came across the company online that i got all these new glazes from. This mug was a bit of an experiment as i tried to get a different texture on the mug, similar yet different to the woodgrain ones i've made. I couldn't really stop after i had started so it wasn't until i had finished that i thought to myself, "It looks like it has the measles". But after picking it up today i'm quite happy with how it looks now that it has been glazed. In the photo it looks like it's darker at the bottom and fades up but it's not actually like that, it's probably just from the lighting.

Dusky Pink* and my pre-mixed Purple.

That's it for now. I have another mug to pick up next week that i'm really looking forward to seeing and hoping it comes out OK. It has a crystal glaze on the inside and needs to be fired at a lower temperature so it needs to go in with a bisque firing which they didn't do this week. I'll obviously post pics of it when i get it back.
Until then, cheers.
swizzle

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2012-02-24 00:15 ]

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-21 11:34 pm   Permalink

Purple, way cool

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-02-23 2:04 pm   Permalink

Very cool Swizzle! I like the measle style, I did a couple in that style myself..
That mauve combination mug and the light jade really looks good too.. It's fun playing around with the glaze color's you never know what your going to get sometimes unless you do a bunch of glaze test on them..

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-23 4:47 pm   Permalink

The Light Jade looks like it has some iridescence to it and the pink one looks like coral, cool! I hope this solves your glaze problems.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-23 4:53 pm   Permalink

Hi Swizzle, I wrote a note and it disapeared. Here goes again. Great glazes. I love seeing these colors on real tiki mugs instead of a chip at the store. Your purple is wonderful. No mention of cracks so you must be having much more fun than before. Thanks for posting. Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-23 5:01 pm   Permalink

Robbie, really fine work on those glazes. Like Beachbumz, I especially like the Mauve exterior in combination with the Peacock Green interior.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-24 03:48 am   Permalink

Digging the Paris green with lime green. Very nice job on all of them.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-29 04:09 am   Permalink

Thank you to everyone for your comments. Fortunately i haven't had any issues with mugs cracking recently. That only seemed to happen with one particular brand which from now i shall definitely not be using. And MadDogMike, i like that you said the pink mug looks like coral. I'm going to steal that. Certainly sounds better than the measles.

So here are some pics of the mug i mentioned i was waiting to pick up this week. When i found the new brand of glazes i've been using lately i also found that they have crystal glazes, although they call them fantasy. Unfortunately it wasn't until the glazes arrived in the mail that i became aware that the fantasy glaze is not food safe, it wasn't mentioned on the website, so i decided to cut the teeth out of the mouth on this mug as i wouldn't be able to drink from it and i wanted to see what the fantasy glaze looked like. There are a couple of pinhole glaze skips when you look up close but i'm quite happy with the finish and colour combination on this mug. The orange is from the new brand also.

Pumpkin and Nebula.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-01 12:06 pm   Permalink

I like it, beautiful, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-01 1:25 pm   Permalink

Very cool, it would make a good votive candle holder

It's too bad the website didn't tell you it wasn't food safe. I don't know what brands you have access to but both Mayco and Duncan have some food safe crystalline glazes (but some of their's aren't too, I guess it depends on the ingredients) I have a "hot lava look' crystalline glaze I really like but isn't food safe, so I just use it on the outside of mugs.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ScallywagCeramics
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-06 11:26 am   Permalink

Hey Swizzle, I wish I had seen this thread earlier last year as I too jumped into the mug-making ring. Though I didn't have a class, I read up on as much casting as I could find both online and in print. One website I found said they used aluminum flashing sheets to make the square shape, which actually works rather well. I just have to make sure to bend it at right angles so that it gets a flat bottom. How did you make the round bottom part with your signature? I'd like to try that myself. You can see my mugs here: www.facebook.com/scallywagceramics

Great stuff!

View Profile of ScallywagCeramics Send a personal message to ScallywagCeramics  Email ScallywagCeramics Goto the website of ScallywagCeramics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ScallywagCeramics
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-06 11:27 am   Permalink

Hey Swizzle, I wish I had seen this thread earlier last year as I too jumped into the mug-making ring. Though I didn't have a class, I read up on as much casting as I could find both online and in print. One website I found said they used aluminum flashing sheets to make the square shape, which actually works rather well. I just have to make sure to bend it at right angles so that it gets a flat bottom. How did you make the round bottom part with your signature? I'd like to try that myself. You can see my mugs here: www.facebook.com/scallywagceramics

Great stuff!

View Profile of ScallywagCeramics Send a personal message to ScallywagCeramics  Email ScallywagCeramics Goto the website of ScallywagCeramics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-16 01:35 am   Permalink

Thank you Wendy.

Thanks MadDogMike. That's what i was thinking i'd use it for also. I thought i'd cut the mouth out of one mug just for the hell of it but after i realised about the glaze it became the perfect candidate to try it on.

Thanks to you too Scallywag. I really like your skull mug. That bottom part is a tip i picked up from
Maui Tiki and i'm pretty sure Wendy uses that technique now also. I must say that it's a great idea although my mold does tend to leak a little bit in that area. I'm not sure if that is more to do with how (badly ) i made the mold or if it is something that will happen regardless. When i get around to making another mold i want to try something different i have in mind but it is a good way to achieve the sunken section with your name in it and i could end up going back to doing it that way if what i have planned doesn't work how i want it to.

So today i picked up a few more mugs. I'm happy with the colour combinations, however i am still having issues with the glaze being patchy due to the visibilty of brushstrokes. I finally got around to spraying a mug with my new air compressor the other day and i'm extremely anxious to see how it is going to turn out. I was very happy with how the coverage looks on it after it was sprayed, but until it is fired i won't know the results. I'll take it in next week then i'll have to wait another week to pick it up.

Here's the first mug with both colours the new brand glaze i'm using at the moment.

Dusky Pink and Pumpkin.

Mauve and Dusky Pink.

I tried something different with this mug but it didn't work out exactly how i wanted, although i must say i had no idea what to expect at all, i just thought i'd experiment. I can't remember which colour i used first -one coat of each- but i do know the last layer was my own mixed purple. (That's what happens when you glaze drunk. )

Mauve, Dusky Pink, Purple and Purple.

I still have a few mugs that need glazing and also a couple of others that have a bit of a twist to them that need to be bisque fired. I'm quite happy with the added detail on these and look forward to finishing them and also peoples opinion on them.

Now for those of you that noticed, i changed the title to my thread. I must admit that i have two bad habits. (I'm sure people that know me would say that i have plenty more. ) One is that i procrastinate, the other is that i never finish work i start. Well i do finish it eventually, but i tend have to have an idea, start it, then have another idea and start that without finishing the other one. The following is an idea that i've had floating in my head for a while now and only recently got started on. I'll eventually post pics of some of my paintings here also. The owner of the Tiki Lounge and Bar here wants me to do an exhibition, i just need to finish all the paintings that i've started.

A friend of mine is a signwriter with the contract for a large hardware store here. He gave me a stack of off-cuts of MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard) that he uses for the fit-out of each store, and i finally pulled my finger out of my bum and got started on this idea after i bought a scroll saw which was essential in allowing me to do this work.

I found a font i liked on the internet and have cut out a few sets of the letters ready to go. I have a few ideas of backgrounds that i intend to try/use which i will show in my exhibition and also hope to sell if people are interested. They will be able to pick a style and i will paint everything in the colour of their choice. The pictures below are of the very first one of these that i've made and is for me. I will add hooks on it to hang all of my pendants off.

This is the template for a hibiscus flower. As i said, i have another pattern/shape that i will use and also incorporate into the design.

Here is the template for the font i chose.

The background for the sign with the hibiscus outlined and masking tape where the letters will go so that when i glue the letters on they will stick to the wood instead of straight onto paint.

This is the background with an undercoat of acrylic paint. If i paint straight onto the MDF, it soaks it up and i lose the gloss finish. The flower has been masked off to avoid overspray but has an undercoat on it where it is needed that you can see in the next picture.

Here is the sign with the basecoat. The black was done with an aerosol can and the aqua for the flower was painted with 1 Shot Enamel.

The letters also have an undercoat of acrylic and have been spray painted.

I have to cut out the petals on the flower, sand and paint them, then glue them on along with the letters. I'll post pics when it's finished.

Thanks for looking.
swizzle

[ This Message was edited by: swizzle 2012-03-16 02:33 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-03-16 07:43 am   Permalink

Cool stuff Swizz, that sign will look nice when it's done. Congrats on the exhibition ~ a little exposure is always good.

I have tried layers colors too and never really got anything I was happy with. In theory it sounds good, but it doesn't seem to work out.

Quote:
"I must admit that i have two bad habits. One is that I procrastinate, the other is that I never finish work I start."

Those two bad habits must go together because I do exactly the same thing

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-21 12:47 am   Permalink

Purple, way cool

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation