FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food so what (if any) brands of beer are Tiki?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
so what (if any) brands of beer are Tiki?
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-10 8:58 pm   Permalink

Here Here ATP!! I agree totaly. Its like as if a ordinary bar that serves beer&wine and added bamboo and thatch. Would you classify that as a Tiki bar? No! Its needs the rest as ATP mentioned. TIKIS, and great exotic cocktails. Just as Donn Beach(Don the Beachcombers), Vic Bergeron(Trader Vics), and other mid-century Tiki bars set out to do. Other drinks were just added to be there to satisfy the occasional patron who did not want a tropical cocktail. Not trying to step on toes, but thats just the way I see it.

[ This Message was edited by: forgotten tikiman 2012-07-10 21:12 ]

[ This Message was edited by: forgotten tikiman 2012-07-10 21:14 ]

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-12 07:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

Other drinks were just added to be there to satisfy the occasional patron who did not want a tropical cocktail.

Reminds me of my coworker that goes to one of the best brew pubs in the nation and gets upset that they don't have Bud Lite.

[ This Message was edited by: jingleheimerschmidt 2012-07-12 07:52 ]

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-12 6:25 pm   Permalink

Derailed. Whether historically, as in old ads, or more recently in the form of coconut and Kona porters, there are brands of beer that have tried to associate themselves with tiki culture. It's worth exploring, as long as we keep the discussion relevant. Maybe we could put the debate of whether beer is tiki to bed and get back to the topic at hand? I promise no one is going to start to believe that beer is somehow more "tiki" than cocktails.

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbanu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-31 11:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-08 13:52, JOHN-O wrote:
I dunno, can a stout really be "Tiki". It just seems so wrong.

Most tropical or hot weather climates usually have lagers as their standard beer. Think Red Stripe, Primo, or any Mexican beer.

That may be true today, but was not always true. "Foreign Extra Stout" also known as "Tropical Stout" was a mainstay of thirsty ex-pats in tropical climes. Originally it was exported from the UK at a hefty proof to survive the journey, but it was eventually made in the home countries themselves.

A few examples:

Dragon Stout from Jamaica
Strong Back Stout from the Bahamas
Stallion Stout from Barbados
Royal Extra Stout from Trinidad

Also Guiness Foreign Extra, which is brewed in multiple places in the Carribean.

Not sure if it's tiki, but it's definitely part of the larger tropical drink culture.

[ This Message was edited by: mbanu 2012-07-31 23:38 ]

View Profile of mbanu Send a personal message to mbanu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gavin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-09-08 09:33 am   Permalink

Still, No Beer is, but I saw this and will share.
Today is Sour Beer Day (Sept.8th) SourBeerDay.com
*I do not know these people who posted this, somebody on TC prob'ly does*

Love the Otiose!

View Profile of Gavin Send a personal message to Gavin  Email Gavin Goto the website of Gavin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-15 7:45 pm   Permalink

We had this and the Mana Wheat at the last Tx tiki party and they both got lots of positive comments.

View Profile of Koitiki Send a personal message to Koitiki  Email Koitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-11-22 3:49 pm   Permalink

Ohana Brewing Company is a new brewer in Los Angeles. The guy that owns it is only 24.

www.ohanabrew.com

Somebody should offer their graphic design skills to design a new logo, for a fee, of course.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2013-11-23 12:59 pm   Permalink

My thoughts:

1) Having a tiki cocktail in my (non tiki) living room... Tiki, Im enjoying a tiki drink.

2) Having a beer in my living room... Not tiki.

3) Having a bottle of beer with a wahine / etc on it (or from a 'tiki' location) in my lounge... Not tiki but cause for comment, Id like to try one

4) Having a sipping rum in my living room... Im enjoying / appreciating the rum & rum = tiki... but that's a bit of a stretch. Not tiki.

However:

5) Having a tiki drink in a tiki environment... The most tiki (!), Im enjoying a tiki drink in a tiki environment.

6) Having a beer / sipping rum in a tiki environment... Tiki, Im enjoying the environment.

7) Having a bottle of beer with a wahine / etc on it (or from a 'tiki' location) in a tiki environment... As tiki as thought no 6 + 1! I still want to try one!

For your consideration:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=46298&forum=1&112

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-06 10:37 pm   Permalink

This beer looks like it is trying to be tiki. I didn't try it though, rather have a Navy Grog

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam

Posted: 2014-02-07 01:53 am   Permalink

Tried some of this in Lola Los (chain of 7/8 tiki bars in the UK):

Not a regular beer, kind of like coconut fruity shandy - worth trying & would be easy to drink on a hot day

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-07 06:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-06 22:37, lunavideogames wrote:
This beer looks like it is trying to be tiki. I didn't try it though, rather have a Navy Grog

Probably a good decision there, Luna. Some things are all show and no "go."

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation