FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food famous soft drink secret ingredients cracked?
famous soft drink secret ingredients cracked?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-15 10:59 am   Permalink

per this article, secret ingredients of famous soft drink were published in the Atlanta Journal Constitution back in the 70's:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110215/ts_yblog_thelookout/did-nprs-this-american-life-discover-cokes-secret-formula

which Tiki drink has the most similar ingredients??

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-15 2:31 pm   Permalink

The recipe they're referring to does not include kola nut extract. How can you make Coca-COLA without kola? This story is making the rounds of all the major news agencies, and I'm more than a little surprised that no one that I've seen or heard has brought up this fairly obvious ommision. It could be the ingredient that's listed as "caffeine", but ....

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2011-02-15 14:39 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-15 3:00 pm   Permalink

I always thought that there was some clove in there as well???

Story sounds a bit fishy. Marketing hype?

Anyhow, add some rum and lime to that ingredient list.......

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-15 3:03 pm   Permalink

per wikipedia:

Despite the name, the primary flavoring ingredients in a cola drink are sugar, citrus oils (orange, lime, or lemon fruit peel), tamarind, cinnamon, vanilla, and an acidic flavorant. Manufacturers of cola drinks add other trace ingredients to the drink in addition to these flavorings in order to create distinctively different tastes for each brand. Trace flavorings may include nutmeg, lavender, and a wide variety of ingredients, but the base flavorings that most people identify with a cola taste remain vanilla and cinnamon. Kola nuts, which have a bitter taste, although giving their name to the product contribute little or no flavor to most cola recipes, as they are rarely actually used as an ingredient. Acidity is often provided by phosphoric acid, sometimes accompanied by citric or other isolated acids.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-15 5:51 pm   Permalink

Having drunk cola from childhood (although it was an infrequent treat as a child), I never really considered what ingredients made that flavor - very interesting reading!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation