FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki TEQUILA!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
TEQUILA!
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 10:56 am   Permalink

Does anyone here drink it?

STEN

Show Me The Moai!

[ This Message was edited by: stentiki on 2003-05-24 11:14 ]

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 11:32 am   Permalink

I think I'm still hung over from the last time I drank tequila..... when I was 24!

'cept an occasional margarita....

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 11:49 am   Permalink

What's up with this Agave stuff? Anyone?

In my day, we had Cuervo Gold and Cuervo White.

And we liked it!

Arty

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 11:54 am   Permalink

I've never been much of a Tequila drinker - unless of course I wanted to take the fast road to a buzz. Haven't needed to do that since I was in my 20's. The taste of tequila is just a little to harsh for me.

I do have a friend however, who is somewhat of a tequila connoisseur and collector. His bar consists of about 100 different tequila bottles of varying brands, shapes, colors and vintages. He buys/drinks/recommends "Reservado" tequila's exclusively. All the bottles are numbered and limited in production (ala Shag Mugs). However, its all the same to me - again, the taste is just to harsh for my preference.

A good Rum though - now that's another story. I also like a good Brandy or Cognac with a flavorful cigar. Its a nice blend when you're out on the town or on a nice vacation.

Poly-Pop *

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-05-23 11:57 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-05-23 12:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-23 11:49, stentiki wrote:
What's up with this Agave stuff? Anyone?

In my day, we had Cuervo Gold and Cuervo White.

And we liked it!

I remember once also liking Boone's Farm, Southern Comfort, peppermint schnapps, etc.

We all gotta grow up sometime! Have you tasted Cuervo straight lately? That's nasty stuff!

I haven't tried very many Tequilas but Casadores is my favorite for drinking straight (and it's not too expensive). For mixing Hornitos is fine.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 12:30 pm   Permalink

Ah yes, Southern Comfort. I spent a month there one night! The official enemy of Stentiki.

Seriously, we recently received a gift of 100% Agave Tequila and I was wondering if anyone has experience with this. I hear it's good stuff and will be sampling it this weekend. Any mixology recommendations?

Arty

martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-05-23 1:03 pm   Permalink

If it's anejo, then sip it neat. If it's reposado, then make a really good margarita with it. By really good, I mean fresh limes.

There's a lot of schools of thought on the proper margarita recipe. I've experimented a bit, and I still haven't settled on anything definite. I know I do like to add a little simple syrup, I like salt, and definitely on the rocks, and not blended. Cointreau is good in there as well. Try it with fresh made sweet & sour as well.

Here's a recipe that was just published in the local paper a few weeks ago. Haven't tried it yet, but it's intriguing:

INGREDIENTS
Lemon or lime wedges

Kosher salt (optional)

2 1/2 ounces of 100% agave tequila

2 ounces Cointreau, or Triple Sec or other orange-flavored liqueur

2 1/2 ounces fresh lime juice

1 ounce Meyer Lemon Simple Syrup (see recipe)

Ice cubes

INSTRUCTIONS
Rub the lemon wedge around the rims of 2 margarita or martini glasses. Dip the rims in salt, if desired.
Measure the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice and syrup into a 16-ounce cocktail shaker half filled with ice cubes. Secure top of shaker. Shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Strain into the glasses.

Serves 2

Meyer Lemon Simple Syrup: Simmer 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar for about 5 minutes, or until clear. Remove from heat. Squeeze the juice of 1 large Meyer lemon and strain into the hot syrup. Stir to blend. May be stored for a couple of weeks in a glass bottle in the refrigerator.

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 1:04 pm   Permalink

A Tiki-rita?

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 1:10 pm   Permalink

Tequila is REALLY expensive compared to Rums. A great rum need only cost you $15 or $20 a bottle, a great Tequila will cost you $55-100 and more, like great scotch.

I really like Tequila, but I can't afford Patron, so I get the next best thing - Sauza Hornitos and Sauza Commemorativo. At $25/bottle for 100% Agave and smooth expensive tast, they're the perfect compromise.

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-05-23 1:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-23 12:30, stentiki wrote:
Ah yes, Southern Comfort. I spent a month there one night! The official enemy of Stentiki.

Seriously, we recently received a gift of 100% Agave Tequila and I was wondering if anyone has experience with this. I hear it's good stuff and will be sampling it this weekend. Any mixology recommendations?

I once drank so much Southern Comfort on the way home on my Lambretta I was falling over at stop lights. Luckily my friends were with me.

I recommend tasting the tequila straight first to see how you like it. Sip it slowly - shooting it straight down you don't get a chance to taste it. If the label says "Reposado" it's "rested" - aged briefly in barrels, and if it says "Anejo" it's aged for a longer time.

Pick up some triple sec or Cointreau and some fresh limes and make up a few margaritas on the rocks (salt optional). Use 1 part triple sec to 3 parts tequila, the juice of one-half to one lime, and add sugar to taste.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-05-23 1:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-23 13:10, kahukini wrote:

I really like Tequila, but I can't afford Patron, so I get the next best thing - Sauza Hornitos and Sauza Commemorativo. At $25/bottle for 100% Agave and smooth expensive tast, they're the perfect compromise.

Interestingly, I just noticed recently that Comemerativo isn't actually 100% blue agave. Only Hornitos and Tres Generaciones from Sauza. Back in the day, Hornitos was much cheaper than Commemerativo, but they caught on to us.

Also, due to incredible spike in demand for premium tequilas in the last decade, the blue agave plant has been terribly overfarmed, so that's why premium tequila costs so much lately. It takes 8-12 years for a plant to reach maturity, and you have to kill the whole plant to make it. Expect that prices will continue to go up for the next few years before settling down again.

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-05-23 1:38 pm   Permalink

I didn't see Martin's post until after I wrote mine but that looks like a good recipe to me. Except for the Myer lemon syrup, as Myer lemons give me bad heartburn compared to regular lemons. I don't know why. Anyone else have a problem with them? I'm not too fond of the flavor either - something to do with the bitterness perhaps.

An option to salt on the rim of a margarita that I read about in Playboy's drink book is to use a superfine sugar on the rim. I tried it and loved it! You may need to use less sugar in the drink though.

purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 2:45 pm   Permalink

Who here's eaten the worm?

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 2:57 pm   Permalink

the worm's in mezcal, not tequila! but who wouldn't eat it in celebration of finishing a bottle?

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-05-23 3:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-23 14:45, purple jade wrote:
Who here's eaten the worm?

I used to buy Mezcal in Tijuana. One time me and my roomate split a bottle and I got the worm. Swallowed it whole. Drove my girlfriend home on my scooter as she had a curfew at the time. We got pulled over by a cop because my scooter didn't have the proper footpegs. In San Diego the motorcycle cops were notorious for hastling scooterists. I was wasted but the cop didn't even know! He let me go with a warning. I think the worm saved me from getting a DUI!

Myth: Worms come in bottles of Mexican Tequila. Actually, worms only come in Mezcal which isn't Tequila as it's not made from blue Agave. However, Tequila is a type of Mezcal. Non-Tequila Mezcal is made from other species of Agave. The worm is actually a butterfly caterpillar. They were added to some brands of Mezcal in the 40's to boost sales. Many people eat them in Mexican cuisine. The little bag tied to the Mezcal bottle is ground up dried worm, chili powder, and salt.

More info on Mezcal worms:
www.mezcal.com/worms.html

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation