Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Shout out to Kahuna Kevin
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Shout out to Kahuna Kevin
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-08 1:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-07 06:16, Anestiki wrote:
After making over half the cocktails so far in this book, I find my interest in all of my previous favorite cocktails diminished. Yes, these drinks are an investment, but at least you know you'll have an amazing result at the end.

PS the Yo-ho-ho bowl and spice melange are some more great drinks recently sampled!!

Wow, how many more do you have to go Anestiki???

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Anestiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-09 3:56 pm   Permalink

I think I have about 15 to go...The problem is I have several that are so good, everytime I go to make something new, I run across the old ones and can't help myself from remaking those!! (Guavatron, Irish Nutjob, 5 mile stare, yo-ho-ho bowl, and addled wench). Can't wait for volume 2.

Anestiki

View Profile of Anestiki Send a personal message to Anestiki  Email Anestiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
klockwork
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-15 10:01 pm   Permalink

I finally ordered myself a copy. I don't know what took me so long... I like booze... I like books... It would seem only natural that this end up in my house.

View Profile of klockwork Send a personal message to klockwork      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-15 11:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the order Klockwork! Your book is going out tomorrow morning with a couple cards to pass around to friends and family. Mahalo!

[ This Message was edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-03-15 23:31 ]

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-11 5:58 pm   Permalink

Alright, anybody out there making substitutions for some of these ingredients? (I know, I know, you said not to, Kahuna Kevin...)

I just can't bring myself to spend the dough for a bottle of Gran Duque D'Alba.

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-11 6:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-11 17:58, MauiRose wrote:
Alright, anybody out there making substitutions for some of these ingredients? (I know, I know, you said not to, Kahuna Kevin...)

I'm going to have to for pretty much every single drink that I can make, and that is probably only about a 1/4 of the recipes in the book. 98% of the ingredients are not even available to me here in Aus. It sucks because some of the drinks sound awesome.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-11 9:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-11 17:58, MauiRose wrote:

I just can't bring myself to spend the dough for a bottle of Gran Duque D'Alba.

Use E&J XO if you have it available. It's usually $10 a bottle. As good as Gran Duque? Not even close. E&J is still fairly tasty, however if you simply smelled an uncorked Gran Duque you'd probably spend the money. Soooooo goood...

Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-05-12 06:40 am   Permalink

Quote:
Alright, anybody out there making substitutions for some of these ingredients?

I've been making substitutions when needed (as in your example of brandy), and make a note of it on the recipe. With so many unique ingredients per recipe, I've got to keep an eye on how much I'm spending.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capheind
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-12 2:14 pm   Permalink

I get the point of the warning and the name brands, you formulated them with ingredients XYZ, and while it may be more or less the same ingredients with ABC, there will be a variety of tastes that you'll be labeled the source of. That said the chance of me making a single one of those drinks 100% by the book is not quite, but almost, nil. I suppose I would take the extra step if I were throwing a party or something, but just for Tiki night with the girlfriend I think we'll use what we have. Still most of them look pretty great, the book doesn't look like it will dissolve should some drunk (me) splash anything on the counter. All in all well worth the cash.

View Profile of capheind Send a personal message to capheind      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Anestiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-07 06:41 am   Permalink

I just received a copy of Why is the Rum Gone...volume 2

Outstanding!!!

I made 2 cocktails from it last night and they were great.

Kudos for another success.

Can't wait to work my way through the book

Anestiki

View Profile of Anestiki Send a personal message to Anestiki  Email Anestiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-08 12:58 am   Permalink

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Which drinks did you make? You know you can pace yourself right? There's 52 drinks, 1 for every week of the new year.

[ This Message was edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-12-08 00:59 ]

Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-08 01:02 am   Permalink

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Which drinks did you make? You know you can pace yourself right? There's 52 drinks, 1 for every week if the new year.

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-08 01:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-08 00:58, Kahuna Kevin wrote:
There's 52 drinks, 1 for every week of the new year.

[ This Message was edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-12-08 00:59 ]

1 drink a week? Are you crazy?

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation