FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Trader Vic's Chinese Oven BBQ (for home use)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Chinese Oven BBQ (for home use)
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-20 8:30 pm   Permalink

After MANY years of dormancy, I used my Trader Vic's smoker for the first time tonight!

http://www.facebook.com/Mr.BruceSmiley/posts/10150092208318325?notif_t=like#!/photo.php?fbid=10150092397503325&set=a.277662743324.143033.578608324&theater

Who else has one? Did Beachbum Berry get the one off ebay in 2006(?) ? ....Update-It looks like Rum Num Davey bought it. I later searched CHINESE OVEN (as opposed to BBQ) on TC and found a couple thread of owners/past owners!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2011-02-23 08:42 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-21 12:31 pm   Permalink

The smoke looks nice sitting there by the pool but howzabout some pics of the food!?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-22 9:38 pm   Permalink

We already ate the Salmon at this point, but here are some Chicken and rib pictures!

PS- The Big Trader Vic's plate is for sale on eBay --see the link below in the signature!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-22 9:41 pm   Permalink

Boy that looks tasty!

My husband keeps threatening to buy a big green egg, but that Trader Vic's jobbie is wayyyy cooler! SO happy to see one being used & enjoyed

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 04:36 am   Permalink

I wanted a Big Green Egg also until I saw how many big green dollars they cost How does the TV oven work? It looks very close to an average smoker.

[ This Message was edited by: uncle trav 2011-02-23 04:37 ]

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 06:58 am   Permalink

1- Recipes (in the recipe thread, don't anyone hollering) pretty please?

2- In lieu of the TV Chinese Ovens, I suggest the Weber Smokey Mtn. Cooker, which is +/- $200 on Amazon (and often dirt cheap on CL) and has plenty of capacity and, once the modest learning curve is scaled, is simple to use, with colossal online support.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 08:38 am   Permalink

I think it TV Chinese Oven is meant as a combo smoker/oven. The ones in the restaurants always have a roaring fire and any entree I order only takes about 25 minutes. Sure, it is possible they have half-cooked the item (apparently a common Chinese restaurant technique) or I am getting an entree that was placed in there a few hours ago, but I don't think so. Does anyone know the TV cooking technique?
What I do know about the home Version of the Chinese Oven, is that it is VERY adaptable. It has a grease pan below(see hanging image) is has air vents on both ends (to increase or decrease temperature if needed) and a smoke vent at the top incase you want it less smoky. Also, the fire box tray can be slid closer to the chimney if needed (also for temperature control and faster cooking).
These are all observations-I didn't get an owners manual!
Any input would be greatly appreciated. As for recipes, they included some strange incredients like Shasta Tiki Punch. I will have to ask Billy the Crud-as he threw the marinades together.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-23 08:45 am   Permalink

Cool! The meat hangs instead of laying flat on a grill - hmmmm? Was the salmon strong enough to hang also, seems it would flake apart when cooked.

Those are ZAZZ pictures Mr Smiley!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 10:28 am   Permalink

Hi, we put the salmon in a "fish basket" and hung that. I should have sprayed "pam" on the basket-the skin stuck to the basket!

mr_retro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-23 11:25 am   Permalink

I wish someone would re-issue this TV Chinese Oven.
I really want one bad!

View Profile of mr_retro Send a personal message to mr_retro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 2:12 pm   Permalink

Cool oven mrsmiley. It looks to be in very good shape... I still have a dream to build my own restaurant-style oven someday:

...a little closer

Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-23 2:29 pm   Permalink

Bill, yer a dirty stinker. I been tryin to get my scanner working for the last half hour.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-02-23 3:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-20 20:30, mrsmiley wrote:
....Update-It looks like Rum Num Davey bought it. ...

Just don't desecrate yours the way Rum Numb Davey did...

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-25 9:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-23 15:03, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-02-20 20:30, mrsmiley wrote:
....Update-It looks like Rum Num Davey bought it. ...

Just don't desecrate yours the way Rum Numb Davey did...

OOF! At least the original Trader Vic's was in Oakland , and he is buried in Oakland so the Raiders do have some connection!!

Tiki Hekele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-26 11:11 am   Permalink

I would love to find one of those smokers for sale! It's almost grilling time.

View Profile of Tiki Hekele Send a personal message to Tiki Hekele  Email Tiki Hekele Goto the website of Tiki Hekele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation