FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Trader Vic's Chinese Oven BBQ (for home use)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Chinese Oven BBQ (for home use)
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-13 7:17 pm   Permalink

Unless it appeared in a TV establishment (even for sale) consider it licensed rather than something on the same level as a mug/menu/actual TV thing.

Even then, since it would have to sit outside/in your garage, there isn't the same collector draw as with smaller things.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-13 10:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-13 14:51, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
mrsmiley, makes a good point
the question here is, are you just looking for the Trader Vics aesthetic
or you looking to replicate the smoked flavor of those old Trader Vics recipes
because that can be achieved with any decent smoker in the $100 to $300 range

As an avid practitioner of Smoked BBQing, I would rather use an efficient & up to date smoker
which will do a better job overall.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-11-13 15:00 ]

Exactly. That is why I posted the pic of the smoker. ogg stated he was looking for one for home use, which means to me that he's planning on cooking with it. Instead of searching the world over for a TV one that more than likely will be a rusted hulk, might as well head to the local DYI Big Box store and spring for something new.

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-13 11:42 pm   Permalink

Now I am getting hungry......

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-07 09:20 am   Permalink

Found some old photos of Trader Vic and his Home BBQ Oven.

Apparently manufactured by the TwinCoach Company in Kent, Ohio.
DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-07 2:18 pm   Permalink

TV's granddaughter's using one of the TV smokers in BBQ Comps.

http://www.marinij.com/ci_23358089/trader-vics-granddaughter-bergeron-thompson-smokes-barbecue-competitors

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Oldschool49

Posted: 2015-04-13 09:45 am   Permalink

We have a Trader Vic's Chinese Smoker for sale. Contact me directly if you are interested! karinander@gmail.com

View Profile of Oldschool49 Send a personal message to Oldschool49      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-06-24 2:32 pm   Permalink

I spotted this brochure for the Trader Vic's BBQ smoker oven that the photos I posted earlier were used for.

This BBQ oven looks really well built.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-06-27 06:17 am   Permalink

I found the Chinese oven design, with how-to-build instructions, in an old Popular Science magazine a number of years ago and seriously considered building one for fun. (Someone here may have pointed me to it, posted it elsewhere here on TC, I think.) Then I realized that modern smokers at my local Lowe's and Home Depot looked like modernized versions of the Chinese oven --- exactly like howlinowl showed us in his earlier post here in this thread. So that kinda changed my desire, but I still think it would be cool to build one and see how well it works. And if I don't like it, it's pretty easy to take apart, assuming mortar isn't a requirement to hold it together or to seal the air flow.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Toli
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-08-31 09:30 am   Permalink

One for sale on ebay right now. Pick up only in Vancouver unfortunately or I would have jumped on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRADER-VICS-CHINESE-OVEN-/152221828218?hash=item237120c47a:g:L2QAAOSwi0RXwxik

View Profile of Tiki Toli Send a personal message to Tiki Toli      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-09-21 06:46 am   Permalink

Ran into this "how to" on Instructables.com this morning for a "reverse flow offset smoker from an old water boiler" and thought I'd share. I've been toying with the idea to build something at home to re-create the effect of a Chinese Oven, so every once in a while something catches my eye.

I realize that Chinese Oven design elements have been copied and improved over the years and smoker grills with offset fireboxes are now quite common and easy to buy. So this is just some more food for thought.

In the example below, this guy is REALLY GOOD with metal and with tools. He did a great job. I think the basics are interesting and inspirational. But...

Personally, I award maximum "style points" to the person who can figure out how to stack a bunch of bricks in 30 minutes and get the same basic functionality. So in my book, the original Chinese Oven design and construction is a huge winner because of its simplicity. And I think someday that's what I'll do - I will try to figure out old-school style how to build it quickly and cheaply using just basic stacked bricks and blocks.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Reverse-Flow-Offset-Smoker-From-an-Old-Water-Boile/

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-21 07:36 am   Permalink

cool article about granddaughter of TV using his smoker in competition

http://www.marinij.com/lifestyle/20130605/trader-vics-granddaughter-bergeron-thompson-smokes-barbecue-competitors

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2017-09-21 08:49 am   Permalink

Thanks, that was fun to read. It's just more inspiration ("fuel on the fire?") to build something.

I'm thinking more and more of my "30 minute" challenge... And I'm thinking that there's no reason the thing has to be ROUND, it could be made square or rectangular. That means inexpensive cinder blocks could be used, although I don't think they're long-term durable with high heat. It would be an inexpensive way to start testing... I have plenty of downed oak wood from our recent Hurricane Irma.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-09-21 09:56 am   Permalink

Here's a page about a rectangular cinder block smoker that uses indirect heat, similar to an offset.

I made a similar one a few years back but we put the fire on top like a Caja China, not a smoker. The 2 rows of bricks off the back allowed us to slide the fire off to flip and glaze the pig

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-21 10:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-09-21 09:56, MadDogMike wrote:
Here's a page about a rectangular cinder block smoker that uses indirect heat, similar to an offset.

I made a similar one a few years back but we put the fire on top like a Caja China, not a smoker. The 2 rows of bricks off the back allowed us to slide the fire off to flip and glaze the pig

those are similar to carolina style whole pig pits - very cool - it's on my bucketlist to do a whole hog

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-09-21 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-09-21 07:36, stevekh wrote:
cool article about granddaughter of TV using his smoker in competition

http://www.marinij.com/lifestyle/20130605/trader-vics-granddaughter-bergeron-thompson-smokes-barbecue-competitors

Yeah....I posted a link to that article a few above yours in 2014. Wonder how well and if she's still competing?

howlinowl

Edit: Nevermind. After posting, I did a search for "Vics Chics". Found her facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Vics-Chics-BBQ-165345776811196/

No new posts since Feb. 2016.

howlinowl

[ This Message was edited by: howlinowl 2017-09-21 13:49 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation