FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » New Don the Beachcomber opening in Hawaii? Photos
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
New Don the Beachcomber opening in Hawaii? Photos
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2003-05-23 5:10 pm   Permalink

Sorry if this has been talked about, but this is new to me. The thread on Kaanapali in Beyond Tiki made me remember this:

I was in Maui earlier this year and discovered a building with "DON THE BEACHCOMBER" on it. The building was closed. I asked around and found out that the place is supposed to open soon. I tried looking in the windows but I could not see anything

I had seen the same building a year earlier and I took some photos. I took at look at the old photos and sure enough there was no sign on it in 2002. So the sign is new.

The building is on the grounds of the Royal Lahaina hotel (in Kaanapali, not in Lahaina) in Maui, and the hotel is somewhat old-school-Hawaiian in design. More Polynesian in feel than most of the hotels in the area.

Has anyone heard of this? Has it been discussed here before?

~Hanford

For reference, here's the pic I took of it (notice it has no sign) in 2002.

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-05-23 17:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-05-23 17:14 ]

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 5:18 pm   Permalink

I neva herd of this, but would like to learn more if anyone else has any more info. DAM I gotta get my website up!! with all these new establishments opening. I gotta geta hold of these peepz if it's still in da decorating stage.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 5:22 pm   Permalink

The Royal Lahaina website only says this:

Quote:
Don The Beachcombers Restaurant offers a wide variety of Pacific Rim favorites, including Hawaiian, Thai, Japanese, Chinese and American specialites, complete with cocktail bar and lounge area.
(Opening Soon)

http://www.hawaiianhotels.com/Web/Main/Rlr/RLR_Dining.cfm?Orig=RLR

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-23 9:47 pm   Permalink

I don't make it to Kaanapali often, but I'll keep my ears open for the grand opening. I'll give it a try and give you all the full report.

I know ecactly where it is, but don't recall it ever being open.

Tiki and flower pattern Stickers
www.stuckonmaui.com
Maui Tiki Tours & Tiki Mugs www.mauitikitours.com
Hippie Stickers www.hippiestickers.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Baron
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-05-24 1:56 pm   Permalink

Do you mean you want information on this particular Don the Beachcomber or on this chain?

Don the Beachcomber is like the real granddaddy of American-Tiki. To my knowledge most of these restruants were closed except one in Disneyland. If you go on ebay you can find all sorts of Don the Beachcomber trinkets. It would be sweet if this restruant chain were to make a comeback.

View Profile of Tiki Baron Send a personal message to Tiki Baron      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2003-05-24 5:12 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2003-05-24 13:56, Tiki Baron wrote:
Do you mean you want information on this particular Don the Beachcomber or on this chain?[quote]

Yeah, let me clarify. I'm interested in this particular one becuase, as far as I know, there are no more open Don the Beachcombers anymore. JT (author of
Tiki Road Trip) were talking a few weeks back about how Don the Beachcombers have all been long gone, but that someone must own the rights to the name. I think it's amazing to see a new one opening up again. This seems like a big deal.

The one in Disneyland (actually in Disney's California Adventure) doesn't quite count, since they actually don't serve drinks there. It's just the decor designed to match the old feel of the place. It's part of an indoor food court called Hollywood & Dine).

So that's why I ask. If this is really the rebirth of a new Don The Beachcomber's, then this "tiki resurgence" we've been hearing about for a while is bigger than I thought.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-24 10:04 pm   Permalink

I heard Taco Bell, inc. bought the name Don the Beachcomber. I just did a bar for them. Maybe it'll be a fancy taco hut? But, the bar went to their Irvine headquarters. Hmmmm.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-25 1:29 pm   Permalink

Tiki Baron, the Don the Beachcomber in Disneyland is not really a Don the Beachcomber restaurant. It's actually more of a tribute to the original restaurant chain (it even says that in the menu). The Original Don the Beachcomber's Restaurant Chain has long since gone out of business. The info Hanford is looking for is related to the somewhat appearance of a new Don the Beachcomber opening in Hawaii (as pictured above). This is a VERY EXCITING proposition since there hasn't been a Don the Beachcomber restaurant open in years.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-25 3:14 pm   Permalink

Alas, the Don the Beachcomber at Disney's California Adventure is gone too... Hanford's right: it wasn't even an actual restaurant - it was part of a food court inside this big corrugated tin warehouse in the Hollywood Backlot section, along with (if I remember correctly) a pizza place, a 50's hamburger style place and something else. The DtB simply shared a part of the warehouse with these other 'restaurants', but it still had plenty of good decor. They've closed the whole warehouse and put big security tape roadblocks up in front of it. Any time I've tried to get close (i.e. go under the tape), a cast member has come out of nowhere to turn me away. And (of course) they can tell me nothing about why it is closed or if it will re-open.
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2003-05-25 5:26 pm   Permalink

My guess is Hollywood and Dine will open again once Tower of Terror is completed and open at California Adventure.

Apparently they had way too many resturants to support the low attendance, and Hollywood and Dine is tucked away in an area of the park that gets no visitors. However, Tower Of Terror is being built there, and it's going to be a magnet for basically anyone that visits the park. So my guess is they'll reopen it then.

~Hanford

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-30 10:13 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 11:29 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-01 12:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-05-23 17:10, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Sorry if this has been talked about, but this is new to me. The thread on Kaanapali in Beyond Tiki made me remember this.

Well,
Freaken don't let it happen again NEWBIE!!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-01 01:04 am   Permalink

yah and how about this hanford guy's broken links on those pictures... sheeesh...

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-01 09:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-30 22:13, filslash wrote:
And the news is VERY good. Don The Beachcombers is supposed to be re-opening in about two weeks. It is the original building, and looks like it will be very nice...

Great news!
I urge anyone with the slightest interest in Don the Beachcomber to get hold of 'Hawai'i - Tropical Rum Drinks & Cuisine' which tells the whole story, is littered with Tiki throughout, and contains some damn fine recipes too. Definitely one of the top 5 Tiki books out there.

http://www.booklineshawaii.com/book/bcb/474914.html

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-12-01 10:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-01 09:59, Trader Woody wrote:

Great news!
I urge anyone with the slightest interest in Don the Beachcomber to get hold of 'Hawai'i - Tropical Rum Drinks & Cuisine' which tells the whole story, is littered with Tiki throughout, and contains some damn fine recipes too. Definitely one of the top 5 Tiki books out there.

http://www.booklineshawaii.com/book/bcb/474914.html

Trader Woody

I second that! I picked through this book last time I was in Hawaii, and it has GREAT stories of movie stars (the one about Clark Gable's "wedding tree" killed me; as did the one about naked Marlene Dietrich) and other fun stories (drunk mynah birds saying "gimme a beer, stupid!"). I felt a little dirty reading it though, because it appears as though TC alliance sides more with rival Vic Bergeron (who also claims to have invented the Mai Tai!)

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation