FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Black Pearl, Chicago, IL (restaurant)
Black Pearl, Chicago, IL (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-24 5:00 pm   Permalink

Name:Black Pearl
Type:restaurant
Street:590 Diversey Pwky
City:Chicago
State:IL
Zip:
Phone:

Description:

I came across a matchbook from the Black Pearl restaurant in Chicago some time ago and clipped the image.

I had never heard anything more about the place until recently when these two menus surfaced on ebay.

The yellow drink menu looks like a picture of a Tiki that may have been used at the restaurant.

James T has a Black Pearl listed in Tiki Road Trip II but it is not this one. Anybody got any more info?

The address is now a medical/dental clinic.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2013-01-07 18:29 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-27 2:23 pm   Permalink

Hi

Yeah, the Black Pearl in the suburb of Schaumburg was a modern-era place that came and went pretty fast.

I wonder if their name was inspired by this vintage place?
Interesting to ponder, too bad I wasn't in the loop about the classic-era place when I visited the Schaumburg one; I would have asked.

Alas...

So many places to research, so little time.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason_Beautis

Posted: 2012-10-15 9:44 pm   Permalink

Wow I was just googling this place for kicks because my dad used to take me here as a kid, and was friends with the owner. Thanks for the matchbook, great keepsake.

View Profile of Jason_Beautis Send a personal message to Jason_Beautis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-12 07:31 am   Permalink

Here is a different matchbook from the Black Pearl showing the Trader Vic's style Tiki.

Research online shows that the Black Pearl operated as early as 1963.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-16 4:18 pm   Permalink

Found an article on the Black Pearl from 1963.

They had a Tiki Room and Chef Jimmy came from the Trader Vic's in San Francisco.

And it included a photo of the interior.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-16 9:47 pm   Permalink

I love how the reviewer notes that the singer is not really Hawaiian but that it is the illusion that matters

It would be interesting to create a family tree of how many Tiki places throughout the States, starting with the Mai Kai and the Kahiki, were staffed by ex Don & Vic employees.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-18 9:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-16 21:47, bigbrotiki wrote:
It would be interesting to create a family tree of how many Tiki places throughout the States, starting with the Mai Kai and the Kahiki, were staffed by ex Don & Vic employees.

Sven,

I was thinking that same idea when I posted this. A few more famous locations that immediately come to mind with ex Don and Vic employees are Tiki Ti, Tiki Bobs and the Stockton Islander. I think this would be a great thread, there are many more.

DC

boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 27 days ago; 7:07 pm   Permalink

Aloha everyone.
We've not been around much recently, life has been keeping us very, VERY busy, but this was too good not to share.
I just discovered this 1963 photo of the Black Pearl in Chicago from the archives of the Chicago Tribune. It looks like it was another shot taken the same time as the one taken above (appears to be the same patrons) however, it clearly shows an Andres Bumatay carving on the wall!

That is pretty cool in my book, but even cooler though is the fact that this carving looks to me like it was the basis of the classic OMC mug which has been found marked from Hala Kahiki, The Islander, JPCO., as well as unmarked. That mug has long been one of my absolute favorites, and Bumatay's carvings some of the most eccentric, imaginative of all the early independent carvers. We even took that mug design as inspiration for the Tiki Quest mug.

From the above image it looks like the carving was featured on their menu cover. Could it possibly be that this very carving was the inspiration/ origin of the mug?!? The very fact that this carving existed and was once here in Chicago is going to cause me to lose sleep. I refuse to concede that it could have ended up in a landfill and would rather believe that it is around here somewhere in someone’s basement waiting for us to rediscover it.
-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 26 days ago; 06:36 am   Permalink

Interesting to see that they used the Trader Vic's style of soy sauce container.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 10:42 am   Permalink

Great photo! That would be quite a find if that Bumatay tiki turned up somewhere. One of my all time favorite designs. Thanks for posting this!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 8 days ago; 06:19 am   Permalink

i saw this slide on ebay a few months back- clearly shows another carved bumatay about the same size- seller did not know where it was from. does not look like the black pearl but i could be wrong - tikis get moved around all the time in places. - or there must be more than one bumatay carving floating around out there.

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2015-06-28 06:21 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation