[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Rock-A-Hula Hut
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
The Rock-A-Hula Hut
Lucky Jackson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-25 11:58 am   Permalink

Aloha! We recently purchased a 1950's ranch home that included a funky little shed in the backyard. That funky little shed is slowly becoming the Rock-A-Hula Hut. Here are some pics of the build so far...

I have big plans for the exterior, but that will come after the inside.

I'm covering the walls in burnt wood.

The wall behind the bar is getting a multi-layered diorama. It's going to look like a window to the outside.

The wall will get a coat of paint (blue sky or orange sky?), then this piece of glass will sit in front of that...

This will go a few inches in front of the glass (still more painting to be done), and then some palms and such in front of this...

My mugs will be housed in a "lava wall" that has red LED lights hidden throughout.

Cheers!

View Profile of Lucky Jackson Send a personal message to Lucky Jackson  Goto the website of Lucky Jackson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-25 12:30 pm   Permalink

Great stuff already. I love the fake lava rock. Go man Go!

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-25 12:43 pm   Permalink

Awesome start! And so much potential on the outside.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-25 1:16 pm   Permalink

I agree, excellent start. I like the name as well.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pwest71
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-25 1:42 pm   Permalink

Holy cow!! That shelf/hole in the wall mug area is killin'. Please keep us updated...Awesome work!!

Paul

View Profile of pwest71 Send a personal message to pwest71      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-02-25 2:33 pm   Permalink

Lovin' it! Keep the progress pics coming.

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lucky Jackson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-25 3:02 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys!

If anybody has any experience with creating a multi-layered diorama, I would love to pick your brain...

View Profile of Lucky Jackson Send a personal message to Lucky Jackson  Goto the website of Lucky Jackson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-25 7:54 pm   Permalink

This looks like it's gonna be good! Thanks for sharing.

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
moan tiki

Posted: 2011-02-26 2:30 pm   Permalink

i love the lava wall. very excited to see the finished product.

View Profile of moan tiki Send a personal message to moan tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-02-26 2:56 pm   Permalink

ZAZZ! An awesome start and plan!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-27 4:12 pm   Permalink

If you don't mind my asking, how did you create the faux lava rock?

Soon I'll be working on a small mug display and would like to use your lava rock idea to showcase certain mugs at varying heights so they aren't just all lined up on a shelf. I originally thought I wanted to use standard retail clear acrylic risers but then my mugs would look like they were for sale in a store, not nestled in an exotic locale. Would you mind breaking the illusion for me (us) and sharing some of your process here?

Thanks!

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lucky Jackson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-28 2:53 pm   Permalink

It was pretty easy. I learned a lot as I got farther along in the process.

My biggest tips would be to...

1. Do as much of the spray foam on the ground as possible. It can be a pain to get it to cling on the underside/face of the shelves.

2. If you are adding red lights, don't fully cover the spray foam in black paint. The white areas really enhance the lava effect, and show detail. This will only work in a low light setting (it looks half finished in full light).

3. WEAR GLOVES!

I started by covering a basic shelf with foam panels...

Then I strung red LED Christmas lights on the shelf, and spray foamed the foam panels...

Painted the spray foam...

It's almost finished!

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-28 3:41 pm   Permalink

It's looking super awesome Lucky!

Do you think you might be part of the
Tiki-Kon home bar tour this year?

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lucky Jackson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-28 3:58 pm   Permalink

I wish! If you guys make it down for the Kon, you guys will get a private tour for sure!

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-01 09:50 am   Permalink

That is going to look great...keep up the good work...love the progress pictures.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation