[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Rock-A-Hula Hut
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
The Rock-A-Hula Hut
Lucky Jackson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-01 4:49 pm   Permalink

Today I played with lighting on the diorama. I'm diggin' the way it's turning out!

View Profile of Lucky Jackson Send a personal message to Lucky Jackson  Goto the website of Lucky Jackson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-01 10:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-02-28 15:58, Lucky Jackson wrote:
I wish! If you guys make it down for the Kon, you guys will get a private tour for sure!

I truly hope to make it down! If not for Tiki-Kon, possibly sometime in the next few preceding months.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lucky Jackson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-04 7:21 pm   Permalink

The diorama is coming along. I still need to carve some trim for the "window"... and tweak the lighting a bit.

Here it is in the light...

...and in the dark.

View Profile of Lucky Jackson Send a personal message to Lucky Jackson  Goto the website of Lucky Jackson     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-04 10:26 pm   Permalink

Very cool. What other items will you be adding?

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lucky Jackson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-05 1:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks!

It's a small space (about 12x12), so I won't be adding too much more... the bar/seating, maybe a corner booth/the rum shelf.

Aside from those three things, it's all bamboo/thatch/trim/my decor, mugs, lamps, etc.

The bar

Seating area

Back (side) bar

Lucky Jackson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-05 1:49 pm   Permalink

We are having some friends over tonight, so I staged a few mugs in the lava wall. I couldn't help but take some pics!

The coolness of how it turned out doesn't come through in these pics, but the bright lighting makes it easier to see how the building process played out. I wish I could get good pics when the lights are low... That's when that red lava glow pops!

Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-05 2:03 pm   Permalink

What an awesome lava wall/cabinet!!!

A few years back I had an idea to create a bar with random cut-out shapes on the front, with little fish tanks behind them, so it sort of looks like one giant fish tank. This totally reminds me of that, but with mugs! And lava!

Love the diorama, it's looking sweet!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-05 4:32 pm   Permalink

Diorama is aces. Can you describe how you lit it? From being and inside with LEDs?

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lucky Jackson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-05 5:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words!

The layers from the front going backwards are...

1. Foliage
2. A wood divider board that works as a light shield (it blocks the lights from shining forward)
3. Soft White LED lights
4. Diamond Head/Ocean painting
5. Frosted glass w/clouds painted on back side
6. Currently I have a C9 type of light bulb casting the orange glow here... I'm not sure that this will be the final light here. I want to get a little more "sunset" out of the light in this layer.
7. Wall painted light blue

The result looks good in person, but I need to figure out a couple tweaks to contain the LED lights in certain areas without blocking them in other areas.

The problem areas are...
1. The glass on the right/middle area. In the pic you can see it messing up the sunset with a blue glow.
2. The ceiling above the diorama. The LEDs cast a bright glow up at the top of the wall. It tends to fade when I have my lamps on, but you can still see it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation