FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel trader vic's chicago closing....again???
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
trader vic's chicago closing....again???
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-15 6:25 pm   Permalink

Glad you're up for it, Ragbag, and I am also especially glad that some people have reported that this place is bootstrapping and trying to make a comeback.

You know, we don't need to plan something on the scale of a Tiki Oasis, a Hukilau, or even a Tabu Tiki Night - just put the word out the the Chicag'ohana that we're all meeting up one night, and let's have a Zombie together.

I wonder how many people are in or near downtown - I would totally be up for a weeknight happy hour.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-16 11:06 am   Permalink

a small group of us have been meeting once a month at traders.... trader vics is in no danger of closing as far as we can tell... they have changed their menu and lowered prices on some items.... for this reason it seems they have been getting little support from the home office at this location which explains the shortage of glassware and other items. they are kinda like the red headed step child of the trader vics chain because they are making changes not necessarily favored by corporate....I hear that the chicago traders is also not mentioned on the trader vics website but i have yet to confirm. - support the traders whenever you can. There are a couple events planned in chicago this year which will give folks an opportunity to check out the traders among other places.... i cannot say anything else about these events as i am not directly involved with them...you will have to wait till further notice.

trader vics chicago- alive and well.

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2011-03-16 11:08 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-17 6:47 pm   Permalink

Dave, why not make a posting when you guys have your monthly meetup.
Seems like there are a bunch of people on this thread who'd be happy to join in.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-18 6:27 pm   Permalink

Indeed-

There's a small enough number of us here in Chicago that we need not make a big ol' fancy deal out of getting together, but that said, I'm up for doing a little something extra to motivate folks to patronize Vic's (not that it hasn't been done in the past.) Hopefully it will be enough to reintroduce people and let 'em know that the doldrums are over.

I'm finishing up some projects at the moment, but once those are all wrapped up, I'll be gettin' on the Trader Vic's stick and getting some kind of monthly night going.

All that said, if anybody will be at Chef Shangri La tomorrow night, we'll see ya there!

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-18 9:13 pm   Permalink

james,

I gave up on posting stuff like that here because the only ones that seem to show, are our same ol' group of tikiphiles that show up to every other event...

Besides, we don't meet at the trader's on the same day each month.... it's kind of an impromptu sort of thing....

speaking of which, when are you going to make an appearance at the chef 3rd saturday events?? It's been years since we have seen you last - last time otto came into town.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-20 3:48 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I just thought about it, and you're (basically) right, it has been a little less than a year since I have darkened the door of The Chef.
I am waaaaay overdue for a drive to the 'burbs.
One of these days....

But in the meantime, looking over this thread, there are a lot of people who'd apparently be up for a meeting at Vic's; we'll never integrate any new blood into the same ol' crew unless the word gets out about gatherings. Be it a planned event or an impromptu handful of people grabbing an after work mai tai, it never hurts to make a quick post.

A certain member of the Denver tiki group will be in Chicago next week, crashing at my place, so I imagine we'll be heading to both Vic's and The Chef/Hala Kahiki at some point.

I'll post here when a plan is in place.

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-27 2:46 pm   Permalink

Hi

OK, Michelle (burleyque here on TC, and Vivienne VaVoom to the burlesque community) is here.

We are going to The Chef tomorrow (Monday) at about 6:30, and Hala Kahiki after that, ETA 8:00-8:30.

We'll be at Trader Vic's on Tuesday for happy hour, about 6:00 to 7:30.

If these times change, I shall post.

Otherwise, hope a few of you can come out and play on a weeknight.

exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-28 6:01 pm   Permalink

hey have a good time!
wish we could join you but it' too much for us to drive in and drink then try to wake up at 5:00am the next day. Wish we lived closer.

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-19 08:51 am   Permalink

There is another thread out there from a couple days ago stating that this location is currently closed Sun-Wed (or something like that).
It needs support!

I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!

TRADER VIC'S stuff for sale on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK

http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-23 5:02 pm   Permalink

well- here it is..... short notice... as it always is.....

this is for the benefit of James tikibars and anyone else in the area....... a small group of tiki folk are gathering tonight (saturday) at trader vics for the monthly mai tai fix...... around 8 p.m.

come on down and show your support ...

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2011-04-23 17:04 ]

Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-21 11:34 am   Permalink

I've just heard that the Chicago TV is no longer serving food, and only the lounge is open. Also heard of recent health code violations on yelp.com. I was all set on dropping big bucks down there today with my crew, but this is starting to sound like a lost cause. Say it ain't so!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
randomcha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-01 10:22 am   Permalink

Why did Trader Vic's fail in Chicago? Anatomy of a murder: http://chicagoist.com/2011/07/01/the_sad_story_of_trader_vics_in_chi.php

View Profile of randomcha Send a personal message to randomcha  Email randomcha Goto the website of randomcha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-01 1:26 pm   Permalink

nice article-

and possibly the most brilliant quote to ever come out of tikibars james t's mouth. well put james.

Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-12 1:19 pm   Permalink

Good post. As a result of this disaster, Chicago will probably be devoid of a Trader Vics for the foreseeable future, if not forever. Hope I'm wrong.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-tina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-12 5:12 pm   Permalink

And sadly, a similar fate has now come to Trader Vic's Scottsdale, who never really embraced the tiki community, instead opting for the very fickle, and not at all loyal, 30-thousand-dollar-a-year-millionaire crowd, and sadly, you can see where that got them.

To quote the aforementioned and very well written article, which could have just as easily been written about Trader Vic's Scottsdale:

It's our conclusion that...Trader Vic's ultimately failed not due to the recession but because of bad management decisions, including a bewildering identity crisis and very poor marketing. The new management never seemed to reach out to the active community of hardcore tiki enthusiasts in the area...Instead they seemed hellbent on courting the...(non-tiki, fickle)crowd...

Once AJ moved on from Scottsdale, it was all downhill from there

**sigh**

View Profile of tiki-tina Send a personal message to tiki-tina      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation