FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Disneyland Tiki Room Designer Rolly Crump in LA Mag
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Disneyland Tiki Room Designer Rolly Crump in LA Mag
Miehana
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-03 12:58 pm   Permalink

An interview with Disney Legend Rolly Crump is in this month's issue (March 2011) of Los Angeles Magazine.
More here:
http://miehana.blogspot.com/2011/03/architect-of-delight.html

View Profile of Miehana Send a personal message to Miehana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-03 2:21 pm   Permalink

Long live Rolly Crump, the beatnik artiste of Tiki!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-03 2:27 pm   Permalink

Highly respected Disney artist/designer. The article was awesome, as was the artwork provided for the article done by none other than KK&JD.

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-10 10:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting that, and for all the great related stuff in the blog post. Fun to see the story illustration, and the mischievous photo from the zine article. Rolly Crump is one of those talents who naturally has such humor and whimsy in his work.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nichols
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-31 5:21 pm   Permalink

The entire Rolly Crump article is now online at lamag.com
Enjoy!
http://lamag.com/article.aspx?id=29681

View Profile of nichols Send a personal message to nichols      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 6:09 pm   Permalink

GREAT article thanks for the link

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-06 06:24 am   Permalink

Rolly rocks it.

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiRose
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-06 10:16 am   Permalink

That link's now broken, try this:

http://origin-www.lamag.com/features/Story.aspx?ID=1365662

View Profile of MauiRose Send a personal message to MauiRose      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 3:03 pm   Permalink

Met Rolly at one of his art exhibitions in Oceanside years ago, he has a huge career outside of Disney that's pretty astounding.

There's a Rolly Crump/Dick Van Dyke connection; Rolly did the satiric pro-Cuban beatnik posters for the Dick Van Dyke show where his brother Jerry buys a coffee house. They're in the Stacey Petrie episodes from the 4th season. How did the Van Dyke show designers know about Rolly???!?!?!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-05-18 10:28 pm   Permalink

One of my favorite paragraphs from the article:

Just as I was wrapping up, Walt said to me, “When people are waiting to have lunch there or whatever, they’re going to be outside. Rolly, I want you to design some preshow tikis for the outside.” I went to the library and got a book called Voices on the Wind that described all of these legends of the South Pacific. I read all the legends, and I picked out some—Rongo, Tangaroa-Ru, Pele, and some of the other gods that they believed in—and I did a series of pen-and-ink sketches of these different tiki gods, adding to them elements that would help them come alive, and in the preshow they would introduce themselves and do something physically while talking to you. I designed all of those, and then Walt asked me to have them sculpted. The top sculptor at WED said he was too busy and suggested that I sculpt them myself. I had never sculpted before, but the sculptor showed me how, and I ended up sculpting the tikis in the WED parking lot, where it was warm enough to make the plasticine clay malleable.

Since reading this I have tracked down my own copy of "Voices on the Wind: Polynesian Myths and Chants" by Katharine Luomala.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-18 11:10 pm   Permalink

Hakalugi,

Great reference, thanks for posting that. How's the book?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-22 7:47 pm   Permalink

Well I love him. Really talented guy.

View Profile of Polly Send a personal message to Polly  Goto the website of Polly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-25 12:09 am   Permalink

Not a magazine article but a whole book about Rolly Crump called It's Kind of a Cute Story and you can buy a copy and get it signed by the Disney legend, Rolly Crump, and the co-author Jeff Heimbuch on Fri, Feb 1st at Barnes and Noble located at

Orange Town & Country
791 South Main Street Suite 100
Orange, CA 92868

more info

It's Kind of a Cute Story Book Signings

I believe the Thurs Jan 31 event listed has been canceled and the Saturday Feb 2 event requires a ticket and is sold out.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-25 2:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting that. Just finished reading the book, and it was a real pleasure to read (and SEE)! I was already a fan of Rolly Crump's style, but after reading the book I'm a fan of his personality too - great stories and lots of images of his work. If I was in socal I'd be there in a heartbeat for the signing.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-27 09:35 am   Permalink

Great article. As a late bloomer Im glad to learn about this. Its just funny out of all the times my dad took me to Disneyland, we never went to the enchanted Tiki room.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation