FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars aloha lounge & bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
aloha lounge & bar
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-15 05:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-14 05:50, komohana wrote:
Kon-Hemsby,

the lei inn is one of my favourite threads and the reason
why the woven ply is from floor to ceiling on the end walls.

Wow, I'm honoured. Thank you very much.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-16 9:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-14 00:28, komohana wrote:
aloha friends,

crikey, where did that month go?...

anyhow, i got my poly-urethane foam carving done and that's him hangin' on the door..

..and a couple progress pics for anyone interested..

6mm ply backing..(i attached some wire mesh to the ply to help hold him on)..

..lay on the foam..

..i used 9 cans..

..here he is upside down with carving tool of choice...old bread knife..

..if anyone was interested in making themselves something like this
i'd tell them to go buy a slab of commercially available foam because
it has an even density through-out.
free forming it the way i did, there were a lot of voids that had to be filled,
so any money saved by spraying it yourself is lost in the time needed to go back
and patch it all up.

speaking of the voids, i had to go and buy another couple cans of p-u and while at
the hardware store, scored a tin of mis-tinted paint for him at about one fifth
the price, so that was a bonus i guess.

i've also made a little coral reef diorama that was a lot of fun to do...
simple things amuse simple minds i guess..hehehe...
the coral i'd had for years, stashed away, and was just coloured with some
water-colour paint, add some shells, resin fish and plastic aquarium weeds...
yer can't see much detail i'm afraid but it looks quite nice in person...

..top shelf...

next is a sneak peek at the other end of that bloody masonry wall and you'll
see why i didn't show it before.
i still have lots of shells etc. to put on the fishing net, so it may not look
like too much right now, but again, looks pretty good in person...

the opening in the ply will become a faux window, with the painting that
mrs.komohana brought back from bali, in the centre.
also scored some nice tastefull leopard skin to make a backing for that
mask there and enough to re-upholster a club chair i have..

more soon shipmates..
cheers for now, bob.

I love your foam carving! If you have more pics of the process or how-to's please share. I've worked with spray home for home improvement projects and I hate that stuff so I'd like to use the premade foam you mentioned - what is it called and where could I purchase it? Thanks for the inspiration!

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-18 01:16 am   Permalink

aloha friends,

K-H, you're very welcome.

ahoy LoriLovesTiki,

yeah, the pre-formed foam is great stuff, i've encountered it quite a few times
over the years in my working life, most notably while working as a boat builder.
so, if there is a mob near you making fibreglass boats, they might be able to
steer you towards their supplier. it's not what i'd call cheap though, of course
it may be in your country, i don't know.
not sure what they call it in america, sorry, but it's poly-urethane none the less.

or, if you had a mould of some sort you could achieve similar results, as the foam will
compact into an even density if it is contained. be a bit careful here as there must be
some sort of pressure relief. generally just a hole with something like a house brick over
it, if the pressure builds too much it will just lift the brick and escape. though for a
one-off like mine it wasn't worth going to this length.

when i did mine, i must confess that i was impatient for results and sprayed the
lot in one hit, if i were to do it again i'd (lay off the 'refreshments'.. hehehe) and build it
up gradually in layers to (possibly) avoid large air bubbles. as it was i carved him out
twice, the second time was after i'd filled all the dang voids. (then filled any smaller
holes with acrylic gap filler). the actual carving is easy and anyone could do it, while
i was doing mine i thought it was rather like filleting a large fish.
like i said i used an old serrated bread knife and a bit of sandpaper. i do have other pics
but i don't think they'd be much help to you.

one hint: initially it didn't seem to stick to the ply, so i sprayed a little on then
worked it in with a spatula until the whole thing was covered then went back and put
the rest on.

to mark it out in the first place, i went down to a local electrical appliance store
and lifted a large piece of cardboard from their bin.
source your image, draw him out in one half, then flip him over on a centre line to
mark the other side, that way both sides are identical. after i'd marked his outline
i cut the cardboard out as i went on to do the details, eyes, mouth, nose, head-dress etc.
keeping all the bits as a guide later when it comes time to carve him out.

other times i've encountered poly-urethane, after it's srayed out and shaped you'd
adjust the chemical ratio and the p-u is sprayed on as a resin, or you could use
epoxy or polyester as a coating if he was going to encounter any heavy wear and tear.
in my case though, i just gave him a few coats of acrylic paint because the door he's
on won't generally be used by other people as it leads into a storeroom or into the shed.

as is, he doesn't weigh much more than a surfboard, which is what i was aiming at.

hope that helps,

cheers..bob.

edit: don't forget that all these chemicals are toxic.. at least until they harden.

wear eye protection at least because, as they say, "it sticks like shit to a blanket".

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2011-10-05 06:30 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Masher88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-18 09:13 am   Permalink

About carvable foam: There is a product call AB Foam. It's a 2 part mix and can be poured into molds and there should be no voids. It dries very quick and expands exponentially! It takes a few tries to get the right technique.

http://www.fxsupply.com/poly/poly.html

Mythbusters playing with the stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk_gojAEwJA

View Profile of Masher88 Send a personal message to Masher88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-18 6:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks Masher88, yes that's the stuff.

the spray cans available are obviously a slightly different formula
that forms a skin as it sets.
you'll also notice the safety gear they were all wearing in the video,
making the spray cans possibly the better option for home use, but even
then you should take steps to protect yourself.

bob.

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2011-08-11 18:07 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 03:33 am   Permalink

aloha friends,

whittled out some little fishermen...

...and there they are, gone fishin'...

i was gonna decorate the hull a bit, give them spears and call them warriors,
but then i remembered i'm a lover not a fighter... and i'd rather fish than fight...

also made a small screen, with a shelf for my little wahine lamp incorporated, to cover
the music stuff...

to the right of the diagonal bamboo i'll add a wooden beaded screen, that you might
have in a doorway, but cut in half and doubled-up to further hide that section of
the room a bit.

spring is in the air friends and soon those temporary grey iron sheets on the left
will be gone and i'll be able to start building the Tiki bar, at last.

cheers folks...bob.

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2012-01-20 23:13 ]

TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-30 11:36 am   Permalink

Bob, really nice work on the carved Marquesan "fishermen" plaque. Your home tiki bar is coming along beautifully.

While in Hawaii a decade or so ago, I picked up an antique carved wooden spirit boat that I assume has Indonesian or PNG origins...

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-02 04:38 am   Permalink

aloha friends,

many thanks for your compliments Tom, i hope you all weathered-out the recent storm ok.

i'd imagine there's a bit of surf hitting the coast after a blow like that? Dave and the
rest of the crew would be happy with that i'm sure.

a couple of years ago i found some (small)giant clam shells at a garage sale that had been
polished on the outside to be used as serving bowls, the woman wanted to keep one of them
and also a larger one, so i ended up with five.

i've finally been able to put them together as i'd imagined, and there they are...

along the top of that wall where it meets the ceiling i will make something similar with a
pile of scallop shells i've collected.

as soon as the rains are gone, and i can leave off that temporary cladding, i'll finish the
ceiling off with large bamboo ripped in half as faux "rafters".

cheers all...bob.

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-02 05:43 am   Permalink

Wow the carving is great and I've never seen lights like that before. Great idea.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-02 12:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha, Bob...

Those clamshell lamps are awesome! Clever idea using the bamboo rail to mount the fixtures and hide wires.

Hurricane Irene generated some nice long swells and large waves that were great for surfing, but didn't approach closer than about 200 miles (322 kilometers), so no on-shore damage occurred here. My son, Tommy, left for Morro Negrito in Chiriqui, Panama, two days before to serve as a surf guide and instructor there for a couple of weeks. He was sure disappointed that he missed the fun here, but he's having a great time surfing the Pacific coast there.

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-02 7:46 pm   Permalink

mahalo guys!,

Kon-Hemsby, looking forward to the account of your upcoming trip
to california! lots of photos please.

TikiTomD, glad to hear irene spared you her wrath.

it may sound a little callous, considering the misery they can bring,
but cyclone season (our term for typhoon/hurricane), typically dec-thru-feb,
was eagerly anticipated while living in queensland because of the surf generated.

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2013-03-03 17:58 ]

Holler Waller
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-18 3:29 pm   Permalink

Very Nice - I'm gonna have to think about using some bead walls too, that diagonal wall looks great as do so many other touches.

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-18 9:26 pm   Permalink

Wow...those clamshell lights are fabulous...great job!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-19 5:57 pm   Permalink

Really nice fishermen!

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki  Email mymotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-19 6:22 pm   Permalink

WOW!!! Some awesome work, buddy! I could DEFINTIELY drink some rum at your pad!!!

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation