FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars aloha lounge & bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
aloha lounge & bar
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-06 8:46 pm   Permalink

Great job...it is coming along nicely.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thurston Howell IV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-04-29 5:09 pm   Permalink

Hi, 'm coming to this post a little late but I like what you've accomplished with the space. That black figurine you picked up from the garage sale is a piece of Australian kitsch by a guy named Barsony. He was a Hungarian immigrant to Australia after WWII and was popular in the 1950s-70s. Here's a pic of a Barsony piece we own.

His stuff is quite collectible and fetches $200-300 on the east coast. Great find.

View Profile of Thurston Howell IV Send a personal message to Thurston Howell IV  Email Thurston Howell IV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-30 03:44 am   Permalink

To ebay I go!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-30 9:06 pm   Permalink

aloha guys, thanks for stoppin' by.

yeah, i often thought whether or not to expand on the lamp, eventually deciding not to as i'd already stretched
the non-Tiki with the dog etc., besides, i wasn't sure if his work was all that well known outside australia.
i understand that quite a bit of it was exported and was popular in europe, but probably not america?
as no-one else commented until yourself, Thurston, another australian, this kind-of confirmed my thoughts.

anyhow, as it has been brought up, here's a link to a segment the collectors produced a few years back,
which i guess would be a good introduction to anyone who may not be familiar with his work.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/collectors/segments/s3077643.htm

cheers, bob

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2014-03-07 18:18 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-01 12:33 am   Permalink

Beautiful stuff, thanks for the video. There was a similar style of ceramics popular in Germany in the 50s, often made in Austria (close to Hungary):

It is telling that these kind of Exotic portrayals seemed to flourish in countries that did not have a large indigenous population of that kind, just like Tiki flourished AWAY from the Pacific Islands:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34744&forum=1&vpost=496554

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gibbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-05-04 12:33 am   Permalink

Hey there Bob,

How about some updates on that wonderful bar extension old mate!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Gibbo

View Profile of Gibbo Send a personal message to Gibbo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-01 03:33 am   Permalink

aloha Tiki mob,

apologies Gibbo, don't know where the time's gone.

anyhow, routered a patern onto some battens for the bar ceiling..

made some small shelves..

.. to incorporate onto one of the walls..

benchtop and stuff to hide small fridge..

made a backing board for the cane shelves, original glass shelves at the moment but i'll make some wooden ones..

finally put some seagrass mat on the floor of the lounge, likewise a patern on the base boards.
they turned out fairly good, but aren't seen much, for the furniture etc...

wasn't keen on having the weapons in such a prominent position, so moved them to behind the lounge chair..

also my fishermen, because i've found a nice large picture for the wall they were on.

the actual bar is about half made and will be bolted to some footings in the floor.

from that position and moving out of the bar..

..my A frame is taking shape..

cheers for now, bob

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2014-04-19 04:39 ]

View Profile of komohana Send a personal message to komohana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-01 07:18 am   Permalink

Amazing pieces you got there. Nicely decorated. Would be nice to see the entire room at some point.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gibbo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-03-03 02:59 am   Permalink

Hey, hey , hey Robert....looking bloody good mate! I see the tiki found a nice spot in the bar too.

Did that big club come from Kalamunda?

Cheers and regards,
Gibbo

[ This Message was edited by: Gibbo 2014-03-03 02:59 ]

View Profile of Gibbo Send a personal message to Gibbo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-03 06:36 am   Permalink

aloha guys,

the black one Gibbo? no, that was found by an uncle on the rubbish tip at dongara, of all places.

cheers all, bob.

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2014-04-19 04:59 ]

komohana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 03:50 am   Permalink

aloha tc'ers

the bare bones of the inside bar can be seen through the open door but has yet to be finished,

meanwhile, my A frame is mostly done.

the steel cross-braces are yet to be covered with split bamboo, and as yet insalled
additional internal timber bracing will have the dual role of carrying extra lighting
and a good sized shell chandelier the life size wahine scored a while back.

along the horizontal member of the A, i will attach a carved board, with name etc.,
which will also cover the ends of the other poles and the side sections of the roof.

the roof area is about ten foot square and is formed by two layers of reed fencing with
black shade-cloth sandwiched between, total water-proofing is not really required.

plans are also afoot to re-build the barbecue area behind the A frame, which will include an outside bar.

cheers, bob.

[ This Message was edited by: komohana 2014-04-19 05:06 ]

SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 10:03 am   Permalink

Really coming along nicely--thanks for sharing so many step by steps!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 10:13 am   Permalink

loving your African statues and heads as well as your shelves with the ship!!! that's sooooo Awesome!!! then I scroll down and see your A-Frame BBQ area!!! Holy cow! that's insane!!! now I want one too!!!!

paul

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-15 11:45 am   Permalink

komohana - I'm really enjoying watching your place come to life. On your A frame did you use the standard thin reed fencing and did you treat it with anything (a stain or sealer) before putting it up?

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
IDoVoodoo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-04-15 1:49 pm   Permalink

Wow! Everything looks killer!

My next project, now that Spring is here, is to work on my backyard. Your A-Frame is really inspiring! I have to keep my structure under 12' total height though...

Thanks for the inspiration!

View Profile of IDoVoodoo Send a personal message to IDoVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation