FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Is this even LEGAL?!?!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Is this even LEGAL?!?!
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-21 1:19 pm   Permalink

I know we have discussed Shag rip off look alike artists, but this guy not only rips off the style but the subject and composition as well!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=885512840

Geesh, are people really buying this stuff?

-Mike

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2002-06-22 12:36 am   Permalink

im stunned.
wordless.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-22 08:18 am   Permalink

And I don't think he mentions shag at all.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kongtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-06-22 08:28 am   Permalink

Oh, but he DID mention Shag after some prodding:

My email to the "artist':
Is this an intentional rip off of Shag, or what exactly are you doing here with this more or less note for note copy of his work?

The response came back:
"Why on earth would you e-mail me? It is not a point by point, look at
Shag's. Do me a favor, go away."

Charming. And obvioiusly, it opens up a whole new way of approaching artistic endeavors.

View Profile of kongtiki Send a personal message to kongtiki  Goto the website of kongtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2002-06-22 10:09 am   Permalink

ok, who has Josh's email address? its time to use the Mail This Auction To A Friend feature.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-22 5:25 pm   Permalink

that is classic

im buyin it

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-24 12:18 am   Permalink

re:"Is this even LEGAL?!?!"

Well, either we didn't cover it, or (likelier) I was asleep during that lecture in Copyright Law, but it certainly looks like a "cease" letter is in order from Josh's counsel. Some of the stuff I see on Ebay is simply derivative of Josh's "style". This one is way past that level, straight into "no-no" area.

No comments on Josh's talents or how easy it seems for someone to copy his work. I left art school for law school a LONG time ago...and now do neither!

Gotta put this "copycat" guy below the Ebay scam sellers that tried to pass of Shag greeting cards as something more. I sent some emails out about those scamsters.

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-24 9:53 pm   Permalink

Josh's email. shag@shag-art.com Josh takes the time to respond to your emails. I think that's just great. Livin' in Balto, MD that is the closest I will probably ever get to meeting him, as no one ever comes here.

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2002-06-24 21:54 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-24 10:18 pm   Permalink

Shag is planning to coordinate a showing in Atlanta with us for next year's HUKILAU, so you'll have to come down for that... only 11 hours by car!

[ This Message was edited by: kahukini on 2002-06-24 22:21 ]

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cherry Capri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-24 11:26 pm   Permalink

I adore Shag and we have even hired him to work on our band logo, but even he admits to borrowing style from other artists. Check out the work of Gene Deitch and Jim Flora sometime and you will see the fountainhead of his inspiration.
The work in this eBay auction actually has more in common with Disney's Academy Award winning Ward Kimball's Toot Whistle Plunk and Boom than a rip-off of Shag. And the poor fellow certainly isn't getting the $1000+ price tag for his work that Shag deservedly gets.

View Profile of Cherry Capri Send a personal message to Cherry Capri  Goto the website of Cherry Capri     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-24 11:37 pm   Permalink

short clips from that cartoon are on this page, I see what you are talking about http://www.reelclassics.com/Gallery/video3.htm

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cherry Capri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-25 12:16 am   Permalink

cool + thanks! I have been looking for clips of this cartoon online. i mean that ebay painting was derivitive of Shag's Three Musicians... but this helps put it all in perspective. Plus, you know Shag was just updating his own version of Picasso's Three Musicians, too! That's why we love him because of his cultural nods to all the things we love from Planet of the Apes to Nancy and Lee playing the Roxy!

View Profile of Cherry Capri Send a personal message to Cherry Capri  Goto the website of Cherry Capri     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-25 06:54 am   Permalink

Actually, send the Ebay guy's image to Switched On. they represent Shag's art and rights. I'd say he would just forward it to them anyway.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mig
Official Man-About-Town  

Posted: 2002-06-25 1:41 pm   Permalink

Recently, in Portland, Frenchy took me to a store called Home Ec. Lots of cute things there-- but they were indeed also selling numerous (probably about a dozen) direct ripoffs of Shag paintings. Direct as in, direct copies, painted by someone on canvas.

View Profile of mig Send a personal message to mig  Email mig Goto the website of mig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kongtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-06-28 3:44 pm   Permalink

Har haw! More of the same:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=890031805

There's some poor child chained up in a basement somewhere cranking these things out...

View Profile of kongtiki Send a personal message to kongtiki  Goto the website of kongtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation