Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Building shelves
Building shelves
ebtiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-03-09 08:47 am   Permalink

I'm looking for help/suggestions for finishing shelves that I've built for my mug collection.
The problem: How do I keep mugs (or other items, for that matter) from sticking to finished shelves?
Thanks!

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-03-09 09:16 am   Permalink

Why would things be sticking to the shelves? If the finish is applied properly and allowed to fully dry, the surface will not be sticky.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiVato
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-09 9:37 pm   Permalink

Eric,

As already stated, just let it completely dry. Depending on what you use, (paint, stain or lacquer), how thick you coat the shelves and the environment, it should be dry to handle within 24 hours. I have never had a mug stick using that for a guideline. I live in California so drying times will be different in New York. When in doubt, read the directions on the can.

Make sure you post pictures of your shelves when completed. I expect to see those Bumatays from the Purple Orchid on the top shelf.

TikiVato

View Profile of TikiVato Send a personal message to TikiVato  Email TikiVato     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-09 10:13 pm   Permalink

Funny you should ask this question. I had my shelves painted and I let it dry for a long time. I put all the mugs in there and they did stick to the shelves. I didn't mind it as much because in case of earthquake this should help the mugs from braking. I am able to move the mugs around easily. but every time I put a new mug on the shelves it sticks to it. Go figure, it might be the kind of paint they used. I live in L.A.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ebtiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-03-10 02:04 am   Permalink

Thanks, everyone!
I have problems with both painted (semi-gloss latex) and varnished (oil-based) shelves. I don't think it's drying time - for example, the varnished shelved are 20+ years old, and books still stick to them.
I'm considering experimenting with flat-finished paint or polyurethane.

View Profile of ebtiki Send a personal message to ebtiki  Email ebtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
markmywords
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-13 5:48 pm   Permalink

Your place doesn't have a swamp cooler does it, by any chance?
We used to have the same problem in our first apartment. The humidity from the swamp cooler would make the paint on the shelves sticky.

View Profile of markmywords Send a personal message to markmywords      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-15 11:12 am   Permalink

The problem is that you are using substances to finish them that sit on TOP of the wood and always retain a degree of softness to them. Over time, any object that settles into the soft material will definately stick. Now, if you use Stain and Beeswax, two substances that soak INTO the wood, you'll never have that problem, and your shelves will look a heckuvalot more natural, and thusly, more TIKI.
Hope That Helps!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MontiTiki

Posted: 2011-04-17 10:11 pm   Permalink

One word: Felt.

View Profile of MontiTiki Send a personal message to MontiTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation