FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carvings from Frog Island Tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 )
Carvings from Frog Island Tikis
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-05-25 4:11 pm   Permalink

Always happy to start new stuff.
A piece of cedar commissioned for a floating home on the Columbia River named "No Wake"

The only request was for a frog somewhere, so next is the paddle and nautical light holding tiki bottom section.

I got this 6x6 square from my barn. It has a beautiful grain.

A rather sketchy, pulpy brand of noble.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 25 days ago; 3:26 pm   Permalink

Here are a few shots of "Medley", an almost finished piece of poplar.

This guy thinks he is king of the frogs but he jumped into the pond with alacrity once my mower started bearing down on his amphibious ass.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 24 days ago; 04:01 am   Permalink

2 good back to back posts.
Good stuff.
I see happy recipients in your future.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 09:57 am   Permalink

I cant blame the king for his concern. If I were that size, a mower would have the same effect on me!
Looks like nice weather up your way. Already getting hot down south.
Carvings...outstanding as always.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 09:57 am   Permalink

I cant blame the king for his concern. If I were that size, a mower would have the same effect on me!
Looks like nice weather up your way. Already getting hot down south.
Carvings...outstanding as always.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 18 days ago; 3:31 pm   Permalink

Always a pleasure to get a satisfactory response from you Will, and also thanks to amate, the weather in Oregon has been fabulous for the last few weeks! Here is "Skeptic", a sketchy, pulpy, piece of noble that I wanted to complete for the Tiki Kon event here in just a month.

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 17 days ago; 04:51 am   Permalink

Hey cy,

Sketchy came out great. Love the contrasting color.

Quote:

On 2015-05-25 16:11, cy wrote:
I got this 6x6 square from my barn. It has a beautiful grain.

And you're tearing down your barn for materials?! That's dedication!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 4:38 pm   Permalink

Well, not yet ready to tear down my barn for the sake of tiki BigT, but if I get short of lumber all bets are off. This cedar chunk has been a work in progress for the last couple o' years. It will hold shot glasses, mugs, bottles, and knick-knacks from past experiences.

Thanks too much Tikiskip for the hanging props that gives this carving much of it's personality.

This portion is based on a tiki from Sven A. Kirsten's tiki bible "The Book of Tiki"

It's an evolutionary tale that includes flowers, fish, crustaceans, insects, reptiles, mammals, humans, and all that contribute to the soup in which we swim.

[ This Message was edited by: cy 2015-06-21 20:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: cy 2015-06-21 20:52 ]

Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 04:02 am   Permalink

Love it when a plan comes together.
That may need to go on a turn table.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 10:37 am   Permalink

Love the tiki side.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 10 days ago; 11:09 am   Permalink

Looking good Cy!
I love to be a part of your carvings.

Hey check this out.
forstner bit
https://www.google.com/search?q=forstner+bit&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=637&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3EyIVcaiIIulNvXsqIgD&ved=0CE0QsAQ

These come as large as 4 inch or more I think.
So what if you put a hole right behind that tiki in the carve out area, then carve out behind that
tiki from front to the hole, then you could put a light fixture behind that tiki and have the light wash
over that area from behind the tiki.
This would hide bulb so that all you would get is a nice glow.
The bulb would be changed from the bottom of tiki.

Look at the light I sent you with the cork.
This is how I would do the light on the bottom.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 3:28 pm   Permalink

Thank you Will and Hil! Skip you would not believe how much time was spent thinking about lighting this sumbitch, so I sure appreciate the helpful input!! Here is "Darwin" with a coat of orange and clear.

This is a commissioned piece for a house boat off the Columbia River. "No Wake" is doug fir.

[ This Message was edited by: cy 2015-06-30 13:52 ]

skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 8:26 pm   Permalink

I really like Darwin.....very kool!

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation