FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carvings from Frog Island Tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 Next Page )
Carvings from Frog Island Tikis
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-29 5:36 pm   Permalink

Chain saw solo, THAT ROCKS!!!!
Cy your carving rocks too

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Mess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-30 12:45 pm   Permalink

Great work as usual Cy. I really like the backlit effects you're getting.

I recently carved some basswood, I didn't get on with it at all but it's definitely working for you.

View Profile of Atomic Mess Send a personal message to Atomic Mess  Goto the website of Atomic Mess     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-30 7:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks MDM. Atomic I know how you feel as bass wood can be chippy, pulpy- rotten in places, and I can never keep it from looking "fuzzy" but it is lightweight, holds detail a lot better than the cedar I usually use and accepts any kind of paint you want to throw on it. My next project is a big piece of arborvitae which I have no clue about but should be fun.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-30 7:34 pm   Permalink

Arborvitae? Don't you carve that with an Oxygen/Acetylene torch?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-03 5:41 pm   Permalink

Very good MDM, when I said "should be fun" I had already clogged my chain saw and grinder with a gummy pitch but I will try a few thru-cuts and see what happens.

I finished "Nelson" with acrylic and clear poly.

Also painted "Lauderdale" with a red dye and clear coat.

And did some detailing and added the hand for tikiskips sign.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-03 7:44 pm   Permalink

Holy crap
U bean busy

I can't wait to see the frog island carving station

Looking forward to the (soon to be) visit...

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 05:43 am   Permalink

The paint put Nelson over the top...just beautiful!!! I love the red dye highlighting the natural color on Lauderdale. I was going to say "contrast" but I believe "compliment" would be more fitting.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 10:21 am   Permalink

Your finish work is mind blowing. You must have elaborate tools or patience like no other. Or both!

Excellent stuff!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-04 3:44 pm   Permalink

The sign is looking awesome! Is this the Arbor Vitae?

Looks a lot like eucalyptus (which is also harder than a rock. If you like carving rocks I'll bring you a chunk of eucalyptus to Tiki Caliente )

PS - if you start getting a lot of orders from Puertocitos Mexico for tikis it's because I wore your Frog Island Tiki shirt and did some advertising down there. Oh wait, they have no internet or phone service to place orders from. Also no power or running water and a population of about 50 people

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-04 7:41 pm   Permalink

H10, looking forward to the visit also, amate was hoping someone would like the color added to Nelson, thanks McTiki , here's a shot of my elaborate tool set-All straight, easy to sharpen chisels and a few invaluable knives, and I probably possess more tenacity than patience.

Yes Maddog, that's a part of a honkin' piece of arborvitae tractored over by my neighbor and I would love a chunk of eucalyptus if you would haul it to Palm Springs for me! I will alert my pals on the coast to be on the look- out for a tiki order stuffed inside a tequila bottle.

[ This Message was edited by: cy 2013-02-04 19:42 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-04 8:14 pm   Permalink

Looks great Cy!
"Lauderdale" is really cool.
But you are holding out on us as your blog site has more
stuff you just posted.
The one on your blog site I'll call it moss head is very cool.
Do you do something to get them to start growing stuff on them?
Makes em look like Indy Jones just found them.
Or should I say Sven just found them.
Go to the blog site folks, nice stuff there as well.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-04 8:35 pm   Permalink

Oh I see you call moss head "KK"

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-05 04:43 am   Permalink

Cy,
What do you have for breakfast.
You're on fire.
I'm gonna have to step up my finish work to match yours.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-05 09:46 am   Permalink

Like I told you skip, I should hire you for my PR guy. Even though it seems I've been updating here a lot lately, I always update the blog once a week. The moss is a natural effect of 40 inches of annual rainfall and living in the woods but I'm fairly certain I saw a recipe on MadDog Mike's thread to make moss grow. Thanks very much Willcarve but I still have a ways to go to match your finishing skills!

danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-05 10:54 am   Permalink

Just WOW! Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation