FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carvings from Frog Island Tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 Next Page )
Carvings from Frog Island Tikis
Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-09 7:31 pm   Permalink

Way kool stuff cy,be a tiki carvers dream come true hav'n a forest for a backyard.
I really dig the little guy on the drum.Cheers Watango

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 10:09 am   Permalink

Thanks mate- My surroundings are fantastic and influenced my decision to start carving more than anything. Free limitless wood! (As long as it's cedar)

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 1:27 pm   Permalink

Hey Cy nice to see a fellow Oregonian. I did not know you carved or were a tiki fan, but your company does great silk screen stuff. You probably don't remember me but I and my sister had you do some shirts for a portable mini golf years back called "A Putt Beyond". You really do some great unique carvings I will look forwards to seeing more.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 3:49 pm   Permalink

It's a small tiki world. I have seen your work for a while here on TC but did not see you were from Oregon. I remember that your brother did an excellent job on the art for the t shirts. Hard to believe I have been in the t shirt biz for over 30 years now.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-10 3:52 pm   Permalink

Just to clarify: I am the brother that did the art. It's all good I know its been a long time I am surprised that you even remembered it with all the customers I am sure you have had since then. Mahalo for the kinds words about my art.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Keylo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-09 09:48 am   Permalink

Was glad to see that the Spotted Owl has shared some lumber with you.
Some of your tikis give off a Salvador Dali surrealism feel. Really cool pieces!!

[ This Message was edited by: Keylo 2011-11-09 09:49 ]

View Profile of Keylo Send a personal message to Keylo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-09 12:37 pm   Permalink

Those birds are protected you know Keylo, and I could not get the damn thing off my tiki. I have drawn/painted for a long time and although that artwork is not usually tiki related it is very surreal looking and that style has definitely transferred to my carvings. Thanks and keep up the great work.

Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-10 1:24 pm   Permalink

J-I-M-B-O... JIMBO! lol, dig him!

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-10 7:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks Badd Tiki- I had a lot of fun carving that tiki. I emailed pictures to J-i-m-b-o! after I had him completed and he wanted to see it when they came to town this past August. I met with the band and crew and they could not have been any cooler. He hooked me up with tickets and backstage badges and although I didn't go to sell anything they ended up buying him! We wrapped him in an old quilt and shoved him into a beautiful carpeted storage unit under the tour bus and away he went to his new home in Texas. Here is a shot of the REAL Jimbo.(He's on the left.) Note sweat band.

[ This Message was edited by: cy 2011-11-10 19:30 ]

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-11 02:44 am   Permalink

Jimbo is awesome. I had to go back in the thread to look up the reference since I don't think I have ever heard Reverend Horton Heat music (I do know of him, because one of my all time favorite graphic designers did some cd packaging work for him: Art Chantry). All your carvings are incredible I am sorry I missed seeing them in person at the Gresham Artwalk. Hopefully there will be another opportunity in the future. Do you have any new pieces in the works? I'd love to see some step by step photos of you creating them, I know next to nothing about carving but always am interested in learning new art techniques.

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-11 6:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks a bunch Tigertail. You need to venture over to next years artwalk as it draws some really fine artists. Since carving takes so long I only post here once a month or so, but I always have two or more pieces going. I do post every Sunday on frogislandtikis.blogspot.com if you want to see more of how things progress.

Creative Chimp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-13 09:17 am   Permalink

man i love seeing your stuff.......you have a unique view and brand of tiki and style........very fresh and great design.

View Profile of Creative Chimp Send a personal message to Creative Chimp      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-13 5:10 pm   Permalink

I really appreciate that Creative Chimp. It is nice to know that some great carvers on this forum accept my stuff as tiki. I was just admiring the piece you did for laojia and drooling over the beautiful mahogany that Florida guys have access to.

Here is 'Ohiki a piece of cedar I'm working on.

I really wanted to do a sand crab after lounging on the beach in Maui last year and watching the little bastards run from their hole and back.

This is a memorial tiki I did for Kit who passed earlier this year. He was a fan of the movie "Slingblade" so I put a mower blade in his hand. A hawaiian shirt was his usual attire and some of his remains are stored in the heart area in a curry can.

After I got into this piece I discovered a huge amount of rot behind the right eye and was about to scrap him when his widow told me that that was the area where his cancer began so we left Kit as he was.

"Doug" is a 7 foot piece of fir.

I will add a head to the little guy on his shoulders

[ This Message was edited by: cy 2011-11-14 18:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: cy 2011-12-15 16:56 ]

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-02 6:46 pm   Permalink

I don't make the progress of most of you but wanted to update and stay on page one with my TC pals

"'Ohiki"

Here is the top shell design on the crab.

"Doug"

Also signed up to vendor at Tiki Caliente this year so I started this bass wood carving to add some variety.

Something different is this backlit paper mache mask.

It has been cold and DAMP in the NW
[ This Message was edited by: cy 2012-01-02 18:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: cy 2012-01-02 18:58 ]

NIxxon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-02 7:02 pm   Permalink

1st of all you have some amazing progress!!

2nd of all it looks like you have one of the coooooolest environments to carve in...I love all the life in the background of your pics...Im jealous.

3rd of all I really enjoy updates in your thread...you have a very unique style and your carves are awesome.

Keep it up...Happy New Year!!!

View Profile of NIxxon Send a personal message to NIxxon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation