FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carvings from Frog Island Tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
Carvings from Frog Island Tikis
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 04:17 am   Permalink

The Monk is melting.
That was some kind of log you started with.
I don't get many around here like that.
I bet you could have mulched most of the forest
you showed us in that last pic with what you
cut off.
Fir, does it crush & break instead of cut if your
chisels are dull?

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 07:59 am   Permalink

Thanks my Las Vegas amigo. Very good amate, but I have been giving him a steady diet of CHAINSAW. Will you are right I made a bunch of mulch out of that log, first taking two big slabs front and back with my biggest saw. The fir is rather fibrous and will chunk off if your tools are not sharp, but does not splinter like the cedar does. For some reason the chain on the saw makes a really cool sound when taking off and smoothing material from the fir. It's also stronger than cedar, not as brittle.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-10 4:52 pm   Permalink

Forgive me Hawaiian tiki gods, "Lonnie" just happened. He is being built from walnut, the best wood by far that I have ever used.

Still a ways to go.

The second best wood I have hacked on is this piece of mahogany, a gift from AlohaStation. Still waiting for a 7 foot chunk.

I used a trick from Will carve to enhance the features of "Orville", I brushed a mixture of varnish with black and brown dye into the deep portions of this carving, then wiped away the high spots.

Also made a Rube Goldberg type contraption from left over copper pipe and connectors to display it.

This piece of bass wood will be the top piece for a yet to be determined larger chunk.

Also added a bit of tallness to "Monk" by cutting more base out.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-10 7:03 pm   Permalink

man, you keep cuttin' em thinner & thinner..

you are LIVIN' DANGEROUSLY!!!!

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-10 7:41 pm   Permalink

Lonnie's lookin' good!

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 04:55 am   Permalink

And yet, another overload.
Fantastic.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-11 5:57 pm   Permalink

Your stuff is tough to describe. I can't even explain to myself what it is I dig about it, but I can't stop digging it.

View Profile of Professor G Send a personal message to Professor G  Goto the website of Professor G     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-12 10:55 am   Permalink

Danger is my business Jeff. Thanks Skoo and Will, I admire you guys and grab motivation from your comments. Professor my style is hard to pinpoint even for me but glad you like. You would have a blast hanging out when I vend and watching and listening to the people's reactions. .A lot of picture taking, head scratching, omgs, and most with a confused, slightly scared smile on their faces. Priceless.

cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-12 10:55 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: cy 2013-11-12 10:56 ]

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-12 4:29 pm   Permalink

Cy-bernate
Is that a traditional Hawaiian Tiki I see?
Awesome stuff going on over at Frog Island

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-12 11:27 pm   Permalink

Cy your tiki name puns are hilarious. Your thanksgiving tiki turkey made me laugh! Great work on it all as always!

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-13 05:48 am   Permalink

Wow, you've been up to good again! The oar/paddle turned out great and I love the stand, that will develop a nice patina. I notice some 'shrooms behind Lonnie. Remember that there are old mushroom hunters and bold mushroom hunters, but there are no old, bold mushroom hunters

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-13 8:18 pm   Permalink

No worries Jon, I have a few twists and turns in plan to unintentionally ruin a beautiful, traditional Hawaiian design. Since Lono is god of peace, fertility and music I think he would understand. Glad you get it tigertail7s, I've been keeping up with your Egyptian project with great interest. Good eye Mike, and you may be right- I am getting a bit long in the tooth to be rupin' around on all fours in the middle of the night, siftin' through the cow dung for dem psychedelic delights. Here is another shot.

About three years ago I sold a few tikis to a couple that shipped them to the Philippines for their bed and breakfast. I contacted the Tiki Beach Resort in Davao to find out that they are south of the devastation and graciously sent back pictures.
"Legba" has a voodoo theme.

"Mehevi" is based on the Don Tiki album's idol.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-14 09:27 am   Permalink

CY-deways no longer

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-15 07:57 am   Permalink

Lonnie is looking good. Traditional with a Cy twist.
I just started on a piece of mahogany as well. So far, I'm really enjoying it.

View Profile of amate Send a personal message to amate  Email amate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation