FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events The Hukilau presents The Master Mixologist Rum Barrel Challenge - Official thread
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Hukilau presents The Master Mixologist Rum Barrel Challenge - Official thread
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-17 11:01 pm   Permalink

In 2010, The Hukilau introduced the Master Mixologist Cocktail Challenge, a high-octane bartending contest in which participants raced the clock to create unique tropical drinks using sponsor rums and exotic mystery ingredients. A panel of Tiki drink experts including artist Josh "Shag" Agle helped crown the first Hukilau Master Mixologist and awarded unique prizes such as custom-sculpted, hand-carved muddler.

In 2011, the most intimate Tiki gathering in the world honors its 10th anniversary and the 55th anniversary of the historic Mai-Kai restaurant with an epic contest featuring an iconic tropical drink and a panel of acclaimed rum experts. Competitors in "The Master Mixologist Rum Barrel Challenge" will take center stage at Fort Lauderdale's Bahia Cabana Beach Resort on Thursday, June 9, with the task of making a contemporary version of The Mai-Kai's beloved "Barrel O' Rum".

Judging the contest will be a who's who of modern Tiki mixology and rum aestheticism: Tiki drink revivalist and author Jeff "Beachbum" Berry ("Beachbum Berry Remixed," "Sippin' Safari"), UK Rumfest founder and global "rum ambassador" Ian Burrell, San Francisco bar owner Martin Cate (Smuggler's Cove), journalist and author Wayne Curtis ("And a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails") and New Orleans rum historian Stephen Remsberg. The Rum Barrel Challenge judges (aka the Rum Rat Pack) will be also be participating in Beachbum Berry's "Rumposium" special event on Saturday, June 11, at the Mai-Kai. For more on the judges, go to
http://www.thehukilau.com/2011/entertainment/

In Thursday night's contest, aspiring mixologists will create their own take on the classic Rum Barrel using pre-determined sponsor rums and mixers, plus other ingredients of their choice. They will be permitted to fine-tune their recipes in advance but will still face the pressure of making their drinks and presenting them to our panel of distinguished judges as the clock ticks down and the crowd cheers them on during The Hukilau's kickoff party poolside at the Bahia Cabana.

Following the Master Mixologist Rum Barrel Challenge, it's time for the annual "Room Crawl" with Hukilau participants hosting Tiki-themed room parties throughout the hotel. This year's theme is "A Tribute to the King" with decor and drinks inspired by Elvis Presley's diverse and fun collection of classic films - and the songs contained within them.

Do you have what it takes to put your mixology skills to the test in ultimate tropical drink showdown? For more information or to sign up for The Master Mixologist Rum Barrel Challenge (or to be a Room Crawl host), e-mail roomcrawl@thehukilau.com.

Check back on this thread and make sure you're on the Hukilau mailing list for further updates.

Last year's contest winner, Grady Johnson, puts the finishing touches on "Hell in a Handbasket" (Photo by Go11Media.com)

And if anyone needs inspiration, take a look back at last year's contest (and room crawl) here: http://www.thehukilau.com/roomcrawl/

Mahalo!

Jim "Hurricane" Hayward
Hukilau 2011 Master Mixologist Challenge coordinator
The 10th anniversary Hukilau
June 9-12 2011, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
http://www.thehukilau.com

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2011-04-11 10:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2011-04-24 22:13 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-18 09:17 am   Permalink

Grady, the reigning champ, has signed on to defend his crown.

Any challengers out there who think they can knock him off his throne?

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-21 2:49 pm   Permalink

One of our 2010 runners-up, Ken Kanaka, will also return this year to do battle.

How about some new blood? Who's up for the challenge?

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-21 3:38 pm   Permalink

When is the deadline for registering?

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-21 5:39 pm   Permalink

Probably around mid-May, whenever we announce the sponsor ingredients. We'll make a big announcement at that point.

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-21 6:33 pm   Permalink

Quick quiz before this thread expands to a second page: Who can tell me what's wrong with the Mai-Kai photo in the intro post?

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-22 04:07 am   Permalink

That's Dave Levy's seat and he doesn't drink rum.

No FRESH MINT.

I'm not there.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-22 07:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-21 18:33, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Quick quiz before this thread expands to a second page: Who can tell me what's wrong with the Mai-Kai photo in the intro post?

Where's the napkin?

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-22 2:37 pm   Permalink

btw, I think I'm going to enter against my bandmate and buddy, Ken Kanaka.

My goal is to leave him despondent enough to agree to buy me a frame for the picture of me holding up the winning elixir as I stand next to the jubilant judges who are filled with glee for having discovered such an undeniable talent.

Then I want him to write a song called "pablus crushed me like..." and post it here.

OF COURSE, I will reciprocate with the aforementioned offerings should the very next to impossible happen and I actually lose.

However, Kanaka flies to San Francisco next week to enjoy a night of bartending at the Emeryville Trader Vics as part of his prize for winning their drink contest. Maybe I should... nah... full speed ahead, hoist the mainsail and load the cannons...

...with FRESH MINT!

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-22 3:15 pm   Permalink

Well, it looks a little to me like she's serving an orange Slurpee in that rum barrel. Or MAYBE... maybe the image is reversed. Let's see... think, think... no, I don't think it's reversed. I don't know. Tell us already please. And it better be good. Not "the second rope from the left is 3 inches lower than it normally is". Don't go there.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-22 3:29 pm   Permalink

GatorRob, you nailed it. That's definitely no authentic Barrel 'O Rum inside that barrel. Must have been staged for the photo shoot. Slurpee Barrel anyone?

And pablus, we'd love to have a little rivalry to spice up the contest. Are you definitely in?

Slots are filling up fast, if anyone else wants to sign up, let us know now.

Spent time this morning with Tiki Kiliki down at the Bahia Cabana going over logistics. We have some cool plans in the works. The contest will take place at 10 p.m. on the poolside stage following sets by The Intoxicators and Tikiyaki Orchestra with Marina the Mermaid.

Stay tuned for more.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-22 3:59 pm   Permalink

Well, whaddya know. I finally won something! Please don't tell me I won a Slurpee Barrel.

I blame Bohemiann for the photo. It's got to be his fault. I know, I know. We have him to thank for the Mai-Kai web site being so cool now. And for all those great Hukilau photos. So I should probably cut him some slack.

Naw...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 10:03 am   Permalink

That's one expensive Slurpee.

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-27 08:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-17 23:01, Hurricane Hayward wrote:...create their own take on the classic Rum Barrel using pre-determined sponsor rums and mixers...

How does one find out what the pre-determined sponsor rums are? I want to play along, but I am hesitant not knowing what I am going to be working with in advance.... kind of hard to figure out a Rum Barrel variant if you hand me two bottles of Bacardi and so go to town if you know what I mean.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-27 5:29 pm   Permalink

The sponsor and/or required ingredients will be announced in a few weeks.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation