FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events The Hukilau presents The Master Mixologist Rum Barrel Challenge - Official thread
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Hukilau presents The Master Mixologist Rum Barrel Challenge - Official thread
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-02 09:31 am   Permalink

We're still looking for a few more participants. E-mail roomcrawl@thehukilau.com if you're interested.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-02 10:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-02 09:31, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
We're still looking for a few more participants. E-mail roomcrawl@thehukilau.com if you're interested.

I'll participate!

And if the sponsor rums turn out to be something not normally found in a Rum Barrel... well then I guess that is why it is a competition to test your bar tending skills and not just make us some Rum Barrels please.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-05 08:53 am   Permalink

I, too, want to know what constitutes a Rum Barrel. But then, it is the judges who decide. The reality is that traditional Rum Barrel recipes are almost the easiest and identical. 1 oz of everything! No need for any other measuring device! That almost defines the recipe for me. But, certainly, there are better and worse ones.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-07 6:54 pm   Permalink

We now have five confirmed contestants and several alternates so we're no longer looking for participants.

In about a week, we'll be announcing the star-studded lineup of mixologists as well as all the details of the contest.

In the meantime, I thought it might be fun to post some of our favorite Rum Barrel photos, either from The Mai-Kai or elsewhere.

Here's mine: March 7, 2010, minutes after my wedding in The Mai-Kai's garden, we adjourned to The Molokai. My first drink as a married man: A Barrel O' Rum, of course.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zonker88
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-08 5:35 pm   Permalink

oh i thought it was an open contest. guess i shouldn't have tried to enter

View Profile of Zonker88 Send a personal message to Zonker88      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikigoob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-08 5:56 pm   Permalink

Will play for Rum Barrel!

[ This Message was edited by: Tikigoob 2011-05-08 17:57 ]

View Profile of Tikigoob Send a personal message to Tikigoob  Email Tikigoob Goto the website of Tikigoob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-14 09:21 am   Permalink

Here are a few classic Barrel photos from Go11Media's "Mai-Kai Saturday Night" gallery of photos from last year's Hukilau ...

http://photos.go11media.com/Hukilau/Hukilau-2010

Let's see some more!

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-14 1:27 pm   Permalink

I've never seen Professor Hummingflower look so happy.

"...After a Barrel and a Skull..."

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-15 4:09 pm   Permalink

The official sponsors for The Master Mixologist Rum Barrel Challenge are Montanya Rum and Fee Brothers.

Our sponsors represent the new and the old of the booming craft cocktail movement. Montanya Rum is a 3-year-old Colorado micro-distillery that hand crafts award-winning rum in the Rocky Mountains. Fee Brothers is a four-generation-old, family-owned manufacturer of top quality cocktail mixes, bitters and flavoring syrups since 1863.

Contestants must use our official sponsor rum in their Rum Barrel (either Montanya Oro or Montanya Platino, or both).

They must also use at least one of the following Fee Brothers syrups: Vanilla syrup, grenadine, falernum, rock candy syrup.

And they must also use at least one of the following Fee Brothers bitters: Old fashioned bitters, orange bitters, lemon bitters, grapefruit bitters, whiskey barrel bitters.

The Mai-Kai's Barrel O' Rum, as revealed in Beachbum Berry's "Taboo Table," contains light and dark rums; lime, orange and grapefruit juice; passion fruit syrup; honey; Angostura bitters; and a splash of soda. The challenge is to take this classic recipe, which is also similar to prior rum barrels from Don the Beachcomber and others, and elevate it to new heights and/or take it in a new and improved direction.

Contestants will spend the next two weeks perfecting their Barrel recipes, using the sponsor ingredients and any other rums, juices, syrups, etc., up to 10 ingredients total.

They will then be making their drinks for the judges poolside at the Bahia Cabana at 10 p.m. on Thursday, June 9.

After tasting all five drinks, the judges will tally their votes and the winner will be crowned. There will be a grand prize that will include a Mai-Kai gift certificate.

Cocktails will be judged on:
- Originality
- Creativity
- Adherence to the theme
- Use of required ingredients
- Taste (includes balance and use of rums)
- Presentation

Our all-star lineup of mixologists will be announced later tonight.

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2011-05-15 17:11 ]

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-15 5:37 pm   Permalink

Drum roll please ....

Taking on the challenge to "build a better Barrel" are the following mixologists:

* Grady Johnson is an amateur competitive surfer and percussionist/vocalist in the ska band Big Big Monkeymen. He's the defending Hukilau Master Mixologist champion and mixes his magic in the forbidden jungles of Mount Pleasant, S.C.

* Ken Kanaka is a member of the band The Crazed Mugs and editor of the Tiki Talk website. He's a veteran of last year's contest and claims to have experienced phantom tastes of The Mai-Kai's Rum Barrel for a year after he first tried it.

* Blair Frodelius is a professional full-time musician, USBG Spirits Professional, BarSmarts graduate, member of the Museum of the American Cocktail and Society for Creative Anachronism, and editor of the Good Spirits News blog.

* Pablus is the founder and leader of the ukulele-based band The Crazed Mugs. He piloted the first falernum taste test at the 2004 Hukilau and claims to have tasted both the venerable and vile potions of many of earth's saloons, bars and speakeasys.

* George Jenkins can often be found behind his home bar, The Storm Shelter. He runs the Brevard Tiki Facebook group and, with his wife, co-hosts the annual Brevard pre-Hukilau party. He's a BarSmarts Live graduate and a member of the USBG.

For the latest press release, check our
http://www.thehukilau.com/2011/mixologist/

TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-16 10:09 am   Permalink

It seems like I am the only non-musician in the group. I wonder if this is an advantage or a disadvantage?

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-22 5:12 pm   Permalink

South Florida artist Tom Fowner has graciously agreed to provide
another hand-carved muddler as this year's grand prize. Here's his handiwork from last year:

We ran into Tom at Friday's Hukilau Countdown Party at The Mai-Kai as he was seeking inspiration for this year's creation:

yirmumah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-24 05:52 am   Permalink

So, do spectators get to partake in drinking the winning recipe? Can't wait

View Profile of yirmumah Send a personal message to yirmumah  Email yirmumah Goto the website of yirmumah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-24 3:38 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately, the contestants will be making just enough for the judges (they'll only have 7 minutes each). But the Room Crawl starts immediately after the contest and I'm sure there will be plenty of drinks for the masses.

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2011-05-24 15:42 ]

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 6:18 pm   Permalink

This contest is chewing through my enzymes like a sperm whale through krill.

Ugghhhh.

I seem to be getting further away instead of closer.

One of my ingredients has to be 8 dew drops from a night blooming cereus.

That's pretty easy to get, right?

Oh, and a quarter ounce of sea water filtered through snow leopard skin.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation