Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Travel » » Traveling in the SF area
Traveling in the SF area
zond2
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-18 10:31 pm   Permalink

I'm going to be traveling up from AZ to Santa Clara (brief stops canceled due to crappy weather) to attend a steampunk and possibly a LEGO exhibition and take some snaps of the many wonders that will displayed there. THe paln is to arrive a day early on Thursday and check out the Forbidden Island but was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to eat in FI's general vicinity?
Many Thanks,
-Michael

[ This Message was edited by: zond2 2011-03-18 22:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: zond2 2011-03-18 22:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: zond2 2011-03-20 09:13 ]

View Profile of zond2 Send a personal message to zond2      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-18 10:47 pm   Permalink

You can always try Yelp. That is what I use to find good places to eat when visiting a different area.

http://www.yelp.com/search?places=&cflt=restaurants&l=b%3Aforbidden-island-tiki-lounge-alameda&find_desc=

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-19 05:30 am   Permalink

Or you can do it up right and have a nice dinner and Mai Tais at Trader Vics in Emeryville...not to far from FI.
http://www.tradervics.com/locations/location-emeryville.html

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-19 10:07 am   Permalink

Perhaps the most frequent dining spot before or after FI is Alameda's awesome Mexican restaurant, La Penca Azul (formely La Pinata) about a mile away on Park Street. Their taco truck is a perennial favorite our FI's annual Parking Lot sale.
http://www.lapencaazul.com/

Also keep in mid, that FI has a wonderful bar-snack menu, with some tasty options: guacamole, coconut shrimp, sweet potato fries, crab rangoon, spicy chicken bites etc

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-19 3:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-19 05:30, VampiressRN wrote:
Or you can do it up right and have a nice dinner and Mai Tais at Trader Vics in Emeryville...not to far from FI.
http://www.tradervics.com/locations/location-emeryville.html

i agree and it is only about a 20 min drive from FI

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Club Nouméa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-20 06:11 am   Permalink

If you want to stay on Alameda rather than going to Emeryville, how about Speisekammer Restaurant:

http://www.speisekammer.com/

They also do a pirate night (arrive in pirate gear and you get a free rum)!

CN

Toto, j'ai l'impression que nous ne sommes plus au Kansas !

View Profile of Club Nouméa Send a personal message to Club Nouméa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-21 10:54 pm   Permalink

Or you could type "Alameda" into the search function and choose the 9th link down.

Alameda (Forbidden Island) dining options
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19271&forum=16

There's a wealth of info in there.

- fm

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zond2
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-22 8:07 pm   Permalink

Looks like it'll be Vic's for victuals and the Forbidden Island for after diner libations

View Profile of zond2 Send a personal message to zond2      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dcman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-23 06:50 am   Permalink

If you can, make a trek to San Francisco and hit the Tonga Room. I love that place, and it isn't likely to be around for much longer.

dcman

View Profile of dcman Send a personal message to dcman  Goto the website of dcman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zond2
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-23 09:05 am   Permalink

I'd love to get into SF proper but the only day I could would be Friday and I really don't want to miss this:

zond2
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-24 9:58 pm   Permalink

Live Rock-a-Billy music muy nifty!
Long narrow corridor of a bar w/ no available seating (kudos to the band!)not so nifty
But still had a good time.
Guessing that Smugglers Cove is a bit larger?
all in all a good night

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-23 1:38 pm   Permalink

So, what to do in SFO besides Smuggler's Cove and TV? Looking for vintage, funky and whatever. Vintage shopping, eats, etc. Need a plan for our day or so in SFO on our way to Oasis in August.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-23 7:58 pm   Permalink

One of my favorite historic restaurants in the world is the Tadich Grill. I love that place !!

Swan Oyster Depot is also a classic (and casual) dining experience.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-23 8:21 pm   Permalink

Not Vintage, but I would say a stop at Forbidden Island in Alameda is a must also.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation