FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food What dish have you made from Taboo Table
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
What dish have you made from Taboo Table
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-07 10:14, jokeiii wrote:
I'm really hoping BBB revises this book as well. Still not sure what a "cube" of butter is, and therefore unclear on how much is half of one.

[shrug]

-J.

P.S. If you rummage to the other threads, there are a couple of good links to some Tiki edibles.

I agree. The book needs some real updating. I had problems with that half a cube thing myself.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 5:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-07 12:54, telescopes wrote:
I agree. The book needs some real updating. I had problems with that half a cube thing myself.

It was fairly early on in BBB's career and a major departure from cocktail recipes which are a different animal, so after he's done with "Potions of the Caribbean" maybe he'll do an updated book of food recipes. He's at a different level now, so we may get to see a food book commensurate with that.

Crossing fingers,

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-10 8:27 pm   Permalink

From the bum himself

"Aloha Douglas,

Two ways to do that are 1) use less water and/or 2) higher heat, in each case stirring constantly.

No plans yet for an update, but that's not a bad idea!

Cheers and mahalo,

Jeff"

Ask and ye shall receive...

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
old band alum
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-22 1:03 pm   Permalink

I recently made a batch of Crab Rangoon. I bought a package of Nasoya won ton wrappers and the recipe listed on the package was identical to the Crab Rangoon recipes found in the Trader Vic's Tiki Party book page 130. They were yummy. I tried to make the Trader Vic's Savory Dipping Sauce page 131 and something seemed missing. I will try to improve the sauce.

View Profile of old band alum Send a personal message to old band alum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
old band alum
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-22 1:19 pm   Permalink

I also recently bought a package of Nasoya Round Wraps, which obviously are won ton wrappers which are round and not square. I followed the package recipe and made a batch of Asian Dumplings. After stuffing all the round wraps I had enough filling left over to fill another package. When I cooked them in a pan they had a tendency to burn quickly, so I had to make sure they were only lightly browned. They were delirious. Tell me what you think.

View Profile of old band alum Send a personal message to old band alum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
old band alum
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-22 1:21 pm   Permalink

Is the Beachbum writing a new drink book Potions of the Caribean?
Los Angeles Boot Camp

[ This Message was edited by: Sidneyy 2011-05-28 06:11 ]

jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-23 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-22 13:19, old band alum wrote:
I also recently bought a package of Nasoya Round Wraps, which obviously are won ton wrappers which are round and not square. I followed the package recipe and made a batch of Asian Dumplings. After stuffing all the round wraps I had enough filling left over to fill another package. When I cooked them in a pan they had a tendency to burn quickly, so I had to make sure they were only lightly browned. They were delirious. Tell me what you think.

I'll need a recipe to tell you what I think!

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
old band alum
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-05 1:17 pm   Permalink

Here is the Dumpling recipe from the Nasoya round wrap package: 1 package round wraps, Canola oil for cooking,1 cup of water as needed and Asian dipping sauce( you buy or make from another recipe). Filling: 4 cups napa cabbage, shredded, 1 tsp green onions, minced, 1/4 c water chestnuts, chopped, 1 lb ground pork, 1tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp ginger, freshly grated, 1 tsp sesame seed oil, 1/2 tsp salt. This y enough to fill 1 package so I brought another one. In a large bowl combine filling ingredients. Drop one heaping tsp of filing into center of each wrap. Moisten edges with water using finger tips, fold wrap in half & pinch to seal, creating a ripple pattern along edge by pinching and gently pushing together small segments. Repeat for rest. In large skillet, heat 1 tsp Canola oil over medium heat. Place dumplings in skillet without touching. Cook 4 minutes until lightly browned on bottom. Pour in 1/4 c water, with lid, until water cooks off; about 5 minutes. Flip and cook for 4 minutes until lightly browned. Cook rest same way and serve with Asian dipping sauce.

phinz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-05 2:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-27 11:34, Hakalugi wrote:
I've made the Curry Dip a few times. Super easy to throw together, just add some dipping vegetables on the side and it's set to go. Everyone that tried it loved it.

This is my most common dish I make from it. Very popular stuff in my circle.

traderscotts.com

View Profile of phinz Send a personal message to phinz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iscah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-06-06 08:17 am   Permalink

Now I'm inspired to see what I can concoct tonight. Thanks for the motivation everyone!

View Profile of Iscah Send a personal message to Iscah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-07 02:27 am   Permalink

If you go to AmericasTestKitchen.com they have several episodes of IDIOTPROOF dumplings and other Asian(ish) appetizers.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/video/?&docid=28371

and

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/video/?&docid=25363

(Excellent dipping sauces, too.)

HTH,

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation