FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki It's a glass yes, but is it a mug or a bowl? Finally a definitive answer.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
It's a glass yes, but is it a mug or a bowl? Finally a definitive answer.
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-26 4:01 pm   Permalink

Personally, I don't care which it is. I just picked up one here and there and never gave it much thought. They have a face on each side and one is a smile and the other a frown. I know these are considered very, very common especially the Polynesian Village ones but they obviously were available at retail stores at some time in the past. Maybe at candle shops. Until yesterday I had not seen the green or amber ones. This display was in the front window of a local antique shop.

So I went inside and picked up a loose green one and a boxed amber one.

In the interest of documenting the facts for those who might be interested, here's some details:
The box calls them a "decorator TIKI BOWL".
Manufactured by INDIANA GLASS CO. Subsidiary of Lancaster Colony Corporation
Dunkirk, Indiana 47336

Here's a couple of family photos showing the 2 sizes and different colors. The base on the green one is a little different because the lines are circular.
If you have other variations, please add your photos.

For some reason these seem to have been popular for college frat/sorority parties.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-26 4:44 pm   Permalink

Any indication on the box as to when these were made? I like flowers and candle stuck into it in the photo on the box, thus lending credibility to the tiki "vase" label for many years to come. Although I have to say these things are hard to drink out of.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-26 4:54 pm   Permalink

Well, no there isn't any date on the box so we only have the style of the box to guide us. Wouldn't you say 1970's ? If you look closely at the first photo (the shop window) you can see the four different sides of the box represented and the photos are all different because the manufacturer stuffed different things in the bowl for each shot. As for them being difficult to drink out of, I dunno but I think a straw would make it easier. I know when I'm thirsty enough, I could drink out of a bucket!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-26 7:32 pm   Permalink

It's easy: It's a glass Tiki PLANTER/SNACK DISH/VASE/BOWL -mug!

...BUT! :

Judging by the fat but ornamental, overly self-conscious type face used:

....I peg this bowl to be from the 70s, just like Disney World.

This is really something for the Cruz boys at House Industries to comment on, but the fat font reminds me of the "Stop Standard" font:

(Stop Standard Font was designed by Aldo Novarese in 1970)

or "Gravity":

...dating this vessel sometime after Tiki's heyday.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-26 9:54 pm   Permalink

I remember being served mai tais in the clear glass version of these at Martha's Steak & Seafood Restaurant in Key West circa 2006, before Martha's was closed to make way for condos. After returning home, I was able to purchase them online from a restaurant supply company in California. You can still do that at, for example, the following:

http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_403060

http://www.awesomedrinks.com/glass_tiki_mugs.html?gclid=CPnLic3u7acCFaZl7AoduiA3bA

The manufacturer, Lancaster Colony Commercial Products of Columbus, Ohio, still lists them in their product catalog:

http://lccpinc.thomasnet.com/item/glassware/barware/0407991?

This web site lists 16 oz versions of the "tiki lounge glass":

http://www.microwavecookingforone.com/Glassware/Cocktails.html

It hyperlinks to another site that lists these as sold out, but includes several descriptive paragraphs under a heading "Beachcombing on Central Park South":

http://www.newyorkfirst.com/gifts/m046.html

That site goes on to state "Although Trader Vic's is gone, Tiki Culture remains alive and well, providing a bit escapism at barbeques and poolside parties. Keep the party surfin' with any number of retro spirituals like the Scorpion, Missionary's Downfall, Zombie, Blue Hawaiian, and Singapore Sling. Settle back with your 16-ounce Tiki Lounge Glass, rescued from Trader Vic's, string some tiki lights around the living room, spin some Don Ho records, and take a long, wicked sip of paradise."

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-28 2:46 pm   Permalink

I've always been surprised that this is, as far as I know, the only glass tiki mug design you can get. I would think glasses in the shape of moai or other tiki designs would be pretty popular. For one thing, you can see your drink.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-28 6:02 pm   Permalink

Here is a "black" version of this "bowl" marked Tiki Tiki on the bottom...

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-28 11:02 pm   Permalink

I just bought one at a restaurant, filled with a sad replacement of a mai tai...

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-29 10:27 am   Permalink

There is a red robin(crap chain) in the Denver 'burbs that use this glass for their mai tai.

gabbahey

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gabbahey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-29 10:27 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: gabbahey 2011-03-29 20:31 ]

View Profile of gabbahey Send a personal message to gabbahey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-29 5:43 pm   Permalink

There's a restaurant in Traverse City. Michigan: Red Mesa that also uses this glass. So they are still in production.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-29 5:44 pm   Permalink

the ones that say bowl I say Bull cause I don't think its a bowl if its taller than it is wider.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-30 09:07 am   Permalink

I have seen these labeled as "goblet" and "chalice" also.

I have a few in my collection and one or two behind the bar for certain drinks. One is painted, and from the looks of it, it was made that way. Besides them being used at Red Robin (as mentioned above), I have seen them in a few prints such as the El Paso Chili Company's "Rum & Tiki Cookbook". I have eaten at RR before and saw the mug/bowl/goblet on the menu, but unsure if they let you take them home. I also didn't want to spend the money on a lack-luster tasting Mai-tai as well.

Oh and the font style on the box is from the 70's:

http://indianaglass.carnivalheaven.com/id183.htm

My collection.

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2011-03-30 09:12 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-30 1:27 pm   Permalink

every now and then one of these mugs turns up in opaque white. Looks kinda like milk glass....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-30 4:20 pm   Permalink

Uncle John, those really wanna have colored light bulbs in them!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation