FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki It's a glass yes, but is it a mug or a bowl? Finally a definitive answer.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
It's a glass yes, but is it a mug or a bowl? Finally a definitive answer.
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-30 9:57 pm   Permalink

I've always preferred the shorter ones,
but man that black one above is bad ass.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-03-31 12:11 am   Permalink

Sounds like you're quoting GROG' ex-girlfriend.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 07:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-30 16:20, bigbrotiki wrote:
Uncle John, those really wanna have colored light bulbs in them!

Hey, that's a good idea! LOL

That is actually something I'm working on for all of these wooden souvenir mugs I have.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt. R.H. Falernum
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 10:28 am   Permalink

Interesting; I just found the one, true use for this mug/bowl this very morning...

View Profile of Capt. R.H. Falernum Send a personal message to Capt. R.H. Falernum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-31 6:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-31 07:46, Unkle John wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-03-30 16:20, bigbrotiki wrote:

Uncle John, those really wanna have colored light bulbs in them!

Hey, that's a good idea! LOL
That is actually something I'm working on for all of these wooden souvenir mugs I have.

OK, I am officially confused: How do you light up WOODEN Tiki mugs by putting light bulbs in them?

I was so confused I decided that in order to better explain what I had in mind, I would experiment a little with MY glass mugs. As a lighting cameraman my philosophy is always that the actors and objects should look like they are glowing from the INSIDE, not like light is being thrown on them. The same goes for Tiki Lounge lighting in my mind: Everything should GLOW softly! Like the Beachcomber lamps on the ceiling.

I started with my SMALL, CLEAR Disneyworld goblet, by using a red, frosted X-mas light bulb:

Conventional lighting wisdom tells you that to get a glow, softer (frosted) light sources are better, but when I used a CLEAR amber bulb in the same clear glass:

...the harder light was refracting in the edges and corners of the molded glass much more effectively, giving me a better rendition of the outlines of the mask!

The same proved to be true for the BIG, FROSTED Disneyworld goblet. Here's a frosted, purple bulb:

...and here an amber clear bulb:

Although not as even, the facial features are clearer defined. Here is the bulb I recommend:

A 15W amber flame tip

You should be able to still get some colored TUNGSTEN light bulbs at your local hardware store.
Now the WHITE frosted and clear goblets take any color bulb, from red to blue to green or yellow, but for the green and amber colored mugs, don't use the COMPLEMENTARY color, because the two opposing colors will cancel each other out:

A red bulb in a green glass mug for example just creates a red hot spot, but makes the rest of the glass almost black in parts, instead of making it glow. I know in the photo it looks like flames, but it doesn't in real life, it just breaks up the facial features. A green, clear bulb will work much better (I didn't have one).

For all other mugs, I like using X-mas light strings for my collection -but not like this!:

This kind of X-mas lighting destroys any authentic atmosphere in a bar.

The cords have to be hidden, and the bulbs should work like foot lights on a stage:

My favorite X-mas string bulbs have these PEARL bulbs:

When not lit, they look like South Sea pearls lying around!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-03-31 19:04 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-01 10:09 am   Permalink

Awesome Idea!!

I don't want to detract from this thread, but I'll briefly mention about the mugs. I'm thinking of getting a vanity light fixture and drilling through the bottom of the mugs with a hole saw and slipping it over the light socket. Since they are for full size bulbs I was considering colored directional LED light bulbs to shine out the top. The project doesn't have to be a vanity fixture and the fixtures can be fixed to accommodate smaller bulbs. It's an idea, I got the parts I just haven't had the time to flesh it out.

Funny thing is, I kinda like green and amber glass goblets. They remind me of when I was younger, I guess. But your idea is a great project, you should copy it over to the "Tiki on a Budget" thread.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-01 10:46 am   Permalink

So the wooden mugs would function as up-lights, not as lamp globes themselves, then? I like the colored glass goblets too, it's just that for this purpose the darker glass swallows a lot of light. And I wouldn't do anything fancy with the white goblets, just get a short xmas light string, lay it along the tops and drop the bulbs in there, the green cord will be relatively inconspicuous in comparison to the Ooooh! effect of the multi colored glowing head rack.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-01 12:18 pm   Permalink

Yes, exactly! They would cast a light up. I have a few high shelves that would host them pretty well and it's been a dark area for me to light (my room is very small with only a few outlets). I'm working diligently to complete the room so I can post about it. It's been a work in progress for a few years, but I'm almost done.

Oh, besides using the glass goblets as cereal bowls, desert bowls would be a good idea for the shorter ones. I wonder if there is a way to take the Disney Logo off (I know, blasphemy) but I have seen a few imprinted with other text as well.

Capt. R.H. Falernum
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-02 12:17 pm   Permalink

Thank you bigbrotiki for that awesome mug lighting comparison.

I bought a case of these from Wasserstrom a couple years back to use in my home bar/gift shop as the mugs-for-friends-that-are-likely-to-drop-and-break-nicer-mugs.

They definitely had the most reasonable pricing (especially after factoring in shipping & such).

View Profile of Capt. R.H. Falernum Send a personal message to Capt. R.H. Falernum      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vegastikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-04 12:46 pm   Permalink

I still say they are the best candle holders out there.

View Profile of vegastikidude Send a personal message to vegastikidude  Email vegastikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-24 11:15 am   Permalink

A new find is this one marked Gojo Japanese steak house. This place has been around since the 70's but I've never been there.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation