FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Moai Madness Tonga Hut art show July 9th--thanks for coming
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Moai Madness Tonga Hut art show July 9th--thanks for coming
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-09 3:57 pm   Permalink

Melvin the Drunken Moai

Every place has one; that guy who has a few drinks too many and dances around with a lampshade on his head. On the sloping shores of Rapa Nui, that guy is Melvin the drunken Moai and he wants to party like its 1399!

Melvin is 7 inches tall and 3 inches in diameter, overall height with his lampshade is 9 inches. Hand sculpted from low fire clay and glazed with food safe glazes, the exterior in rustic orange and the interior in bright neon orange. His removable hat is a candelabra lampshade made of plastic and fabric, a straw will let you imbibe with his lampshade in place. Fairly thick sides give Melvin a good heft. With his lopsided, half-mast gaze, inebriated grin and a 45 degree twist to the left, Melvin looks like he could go down at any minute, but dont worry - your rum is safe with him.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-09 4:18 pm   Permalink

MadDogMike, I love him and you too, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aquatic Safarinaut
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-07-09 4:32 pm   Permalink

sooo bumned that I'm missing this...

View Profile of Aquatic Safarinaut Send a personal message to Aquatic Safarinaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-09 5:47 pm   Permalink

Welp, my wife and I are running behind here now, so I'm posting this up here for everyone to see before I get to the show with the original...and I'll be trying to sell off some prints of it (11X17) while we're there. Hope there's room for it.

View Profile of TiKiMaN77 Send a personal message to TiKiMaN77  Email TiKiMaN77 Goto the website of TiKiMaN77     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-09 9:52 pm   Permalink

happy Moai-ing all you Aku Aku freaks at the Tonga Hut tonight!!!

will have to kechup on the online sale gig.

i'm sure it's go'in off!!!

cheers!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine

Posted: 2011-07-09 11:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks to Grog, Hiphipahula, and everyone else involved in putting on the Moai Madness show tonight at the Tonga Hut. It was a great time with some killer art.

Our new Moai mug by Grog is already fitting in nicely.

Mahalo!

kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-10 01:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-09 14:04, kirby wrote:
Just finished this "Moaisaic" for the show... See ya there!!

I wanted this !! Queen K. beat me to it. You snooze you lose, I guess.

Great show. Thanks GROG.

And thanks Kelly for the Moai Madness !! You are the greatest Tiki mixologist in the world. This is a Tiki fact.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2011-07-10 06:09 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-10 08:46 am   Permalink

Great seeing some old friends and New Art at the Tonga Hut yesterday.
I don't get out of Palm Springs too much on the weekends so this was a special treat for me.
Great Art,Great Drinks,and what seemed like 40% of tiki central .

Kelly you looked more comfortable behind that bar then I have ever seen you before.....Great job setting the tone.

Grog Great Job setting up the show and lining up some top notch artist.

Awesome!!!!!!!

W

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2011-07-10 09:20 am   Permalink

Thanks everybody who came out and to all the artists who contributed to the show. It was a great time, and the drinks were flowing. Thanks everybody at the Tonga Hut ---Kelly, Jeremy, etc.

Wildsville man, Queen K, and Ray, thanks for making the long trek out from Palm Springs and supporting the artists and the Tonga Hut, and Polypop and others who put some miles on their car to make it to the show. Much appreciated, and great to see you guys.

Thanks Tobor64 fro the YUMMY Kalua pork. That was hilight of night for GROG.

Special thanks from GROG to everybody who bought GROG' crap. Hope you enjoy it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The online Moai Madness thread is up in Marketplace, so artists everywhere go post stuff there, and everybody else go check it out. Here's the link:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=40575&forum=12&start=last&0

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-10 10:05 am   Permalink

Thank you Grog again for another great show! Sorry work made K and I get there 5 minutes before the show closed...hope to see photos of the show in full effect. Looking forward to the next concept!

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-10 12:15 pm   Permalink

I really wanted to make it to this, especially as it was one year to the day that I was on Easter Island communing with the Moai at Ranu Raraku (the picture in Tiki Magazine was taken on July 9, 2010). The 405 had other ideas, though. Everyone was rehearsing for the shutdown next week, apparently, and I was forced to abandon the effort. I hope to see some pictures.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tom

Posted: 2011-07-10 1:46 pm   Permalink

Here's some photos from last night...

[ This Message was edited by: Tonga Tom 2011-07-10 15:50 ]

View Profile of Tonga Tom Send a personal message to Tonga Tom  Goto the website of Tonga Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-10 3:08 pm   Permalink

Thank you for all the photos it's fun to see what I've missed. Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-10 5:45 pm   Permalink

Yea! Brent is back on his feet,good to see the Ding Dong Devils in full force
I knew those "Power Rings" are good for something, GO DDDs GO!

CTiT

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happychi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-10 6:16 pm   Permalink

I had a little too much fun...John-O is a bad influence on me

View Profile of happychi Send a personal message to happychi  Goto the website of happychi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation