FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » The Waikiki Room at the Hotel Nicollet - Minneapolis, MN
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Waikiki Room at the Hotel Nicollet - Minneapolis, MN
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 08:51 am   Permalink

This menu from the Waikiki Room at the Leamington Hotel sold on ebay a while back. The prices seem like they are somewhat modern, I wonder when this place closed.

They also borrowed the graphics and mugs from the Mai Kai after dinner drink menu.

TTT

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-06 09:41 am   Permalink

Wow yeah, twenny-too bucks for that tiny Tiki bowl...mebbee that's why they closed!
When I saw that hot-buttered Rum mug I thought those were faces on the bottom half, and immediately pegged it to be another crypto-mug ...but I guess they are just Tapa patterns.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dewey-surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 4:41 pm   Permalink

Found this today, I am also going to post it under Collecting Tiki. This was from a small 'garage sale' type store. I paid a buck. The folded size measures 7 1/4 by about 8 1/4. Inside is written in pen in the top right (which I couldn't fit on the scanner) 'My Birthday, 13 years, 1957', and then some scribbled name which I think is Dave 'something'. Love the picture, and the gal is easy on the eyes. Fun for a birthday party of any age if you ask me. Pretty neat!

View Profile of dewey-surf Send a personal message to dewey-surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 5:28 pm   Permalink

Dewey-Surf,

Wow, great find in the wild! Love the photo and the historical text context. That tapa wall paper print is too cool, and look at the kid's drinks they served back then. That kid had some swinging parents.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-09-27 5:44 pm   Permalink

I agree - that's a top-notch souvenir photo! In so many photo folders I've seen from old tiki bars, the background is hidden in shadows and there's almost nothing that would distinguish it from any other kind of restaurant. It's obvious they're in a South Seas Restaurant looking at this one.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-27 2:27 pm   Permalink

I was lucky enough to score one of the menus from the Waikiki Room that featured the signature Tiki on the cover.

The scanner does not come out so well due to the indented
features, will try a photo with the camera and post that.

Here is the back of the menu

Close up of the graphics and the story.

Here are some images from the inside of the menu.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2012-01-05 17:55 ]

BIG TIKI'S
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-27 3:10 pm   Permalink

Dustycajun,

Nice find! Very cool... Man got to love those prices, drinks are on me;)

View Profile of BIG TIKI'S Send a personal message to BIG TIKI'S  Email BIG TIKI'S     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-28 8:54 pm   Permalink

Here is another souvenir photograph from the Waikiki Room, Hotel Nicollet, Minneapolis undated.
Souvenir Cover:

Photograph:

Anyone recognize any of these people or have a guess to the date by the clothes style?
The wood plank tables are cool.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-28 9:16 pm   Permalink

I also found some brief information about the Waikiki Room in the Hotel:

In the 1930s, The Nicollet was headquarters for the Old Colony Club, Rotary Club, Kiwanis Club, and the Traffic Club of Minneapolis. It also housed the Minnesota Terrace (for big name entertainment) and the famous Waikiki Room. "The Waikiki Room's atmosphere was authentically South Pacific. Diners sat in chairs from Hong Kong, at tables from Hawaii, surrounded by Formosan bamboo, Philippine coral, Tahitian flowers, and Samoan decorations. Memories were made while savoring imaginative blendings of seafood or chicken in fruity sauces. And no one would ever forget the rum drinks - tall and frosty, sweet and sneaky."

In 1962, the hotel became the Pick-Nicollet. In the 1970s it was sold to a church and renamed Souls Harbor, and housed the aged and others who had fallen on hard times. The building was vacated in 1984 and demolished in 1991. The footprint of the building was a parking lot for years.

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-28 10:46 pm   Permalink

Here's another interesting article from HONOLULU Magazine and Paradise of the Pacific dated 1954:

March 1954:

“One of the most authentic representations of Hawaii on the Mainland is the Waikiki Room in the Hotel Nicolette, Minneapolis,” says Paradise of the Pacific. How did the heartland come by such authentic—by 1950s’ standards—Hawaiiana? The hotel manager hired Honolulu architect Thomas A. Litaker, AIA, to design the room and spent $150,000 (about $1 million in today’s dollars) buying materials from Don the Beachcomber of Honolulu to create the restaurant shown here.

WaikikiWomb

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-28 4:39 pm   Permalink

And yet another photo folder I picked up today to add to the mix. This fella looks to be having a good time!

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravnerRavenweird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-29 08:19 am   Permalink

Man! As someone who lives in Minneapolis and works mere blocks from where the Hotel Nicollet once stood, I am always amazed about how I have come across Nothing pertaining to this place.
I am not counting ebay...not that I'm against it, I just figured I would have come across something in the wild by now.

View Profile of TravnerRavenweird Send a personal message to TravnerRavenweird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-31 5:52 pm   Permalink

Murph,

That is a great story on the furnishings of the Waikiki Room coming from Don the Beachcomber in Hawaii.

I grabbed some fuzzy images of this old program that listed some of the artifacts that could be found in the Waikiki Room. Kind of hard to read but some really amazing stuff in there, these items must have come from Don.

A few more historical items to post that I grabbed images of. Here is a matchbox with the signature Tiki.

Some menu covers

And a brochure from the Leamington Hotel that advertised a trip to the Waikiki Room.

Also found a more modern day photo of the Waikiki Room at the Leamington Hotel.

DC

aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-01 1:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2012-07-31 17:52, Dustycajun wrote:

Don't think I've ever seen an inventory like that before, listed for the benefit of the patrons! Not that I've been paying too much attention, but that seems quite unusual. Since this was interesting to me, I took a shot at transcribing that list (anyone feel free to offer better readings)...

YOU WILL SEE in various locations around the Waikiki Room many museum pieces which were secured by a famous collector in Hawaii. All of these are authentic and most of them irreplaceable. We have listed below each relic and the corresponding number and description.

1. Old Tahitian Toere Drum used in native dancing.
2. War club from New Guinea.
3. Old [rifle?] war club from British Samoa made of ironwood (lignum vitae).
4. Warrior's carving piece from Island of Truk.
5. Young chieftain's war club from Samoa.
6. Very old Fijian ceremonial piece.
7. Fijian war club made from lignum vitae.
8. Fijian war club.
9. Very rare New Hebrides war club. Hand fashioned handle and volcanic pierced rock.
10. Ceremonial piece from Gilbert Islands.
11. Very rare Tongan shield used outside of hut to keep evil spirits away.
12. Ceremonial piece from Gilbert Islands.
13. Chieftain's piece from Marshall Islands.
14. Very old Fijian hand war club.
15. Modern Samoan carving.
16. Good specimen of ancient New Hebrides war club.
17. Canoe baler used throughout Polynesia.
18. Fijian war club with lauhala weaving.
19. Very old carving of crocodile. A messenger of war used by Sepik River natives of New Guinea to indicate to another tribe that war was being declared.
20. Island of Rapa chief's war club.
21. Samoan fly swatter. Village chief usually had two or three girls around near him to beat off flies with his hand made [monocle?].
22. Native hoe used by early Polynesians in planting their crops.
23. Rare specimen of New Guinea war spear used in battle at close range. Carved bone tips usually contained deadly poison.
24. Hand made man's comb -- Fiji.
25. Hand made man's comb -- Fiji.
26. Old war canoe carved paddle from Cook Islands.
27. Old war canoe paddle from Island of Rapa.
28. New Guinea throwing spear. Very old and rare.
29. Ceremonial piece from Gilbert Islands.
31. New Guinea war canoe paddle used by Sepik River tribes.
32. War canoe paddle from Gilbert Islands.
33. War club from Island of Marquesas.
34. Ceremonial piece from Island of Marquesas.
35. Throwing war club from Gilbert Islands.
36. Carved Cocoanut [sic?] seat with mother of pearl grater. Used throughout Micronesia and Polynesia by natives in grating cocoanuts.
37. Tapa beater from Samoa used in manufacture of tapa cloth.
38. Tahitian tapa board. Very old and rare.
40. Poi pounder. Very old.
43. Kava bowl from Samoa.
46. Large Japanese fish float with hand made net.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-26 11:12 am   Permalink

Another menu from the Waikiki Room.
I want the mandarin duck!

[ This Message was edited by: Murph 2013-03-26 11:40 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation