FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Native Polynesian and Micronesian Hoochery?
Native Polynesian and Micronesian Hoochery?
capheind
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-09 8:03 pm   Permalink

Did a couple of searches but didn't find anything much on the topic. Is anyone aware of a native spirit or fermented wonder from the islands themselves? Something a little on the different side, but still available in the US?

View Profile of capheind Send a personal message to capheind      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-09 8:40 pm   Permalink

Occasionally guys bring fermented noni back to the mainland. That's the only availability I've heard of. And that boat is far and few between.

Capheind, interestingly, noni is in the coffee family.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lente
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-10 04:57 am   Permalink

I have a recipe laying around for a fermented pineapple thing, but it's Mexican if I recall correctly.

View Profile of Lente Send a personal message to Lente      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capheind
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-10 09:16 am   Permalink

Did they just not do much drinking on the islands pre-european-contact? Or is it like Pulque where their stuff just doesn't ship well?

View Profile of capheind Send a personal message to capheind      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-10 12:37 pm   Permalink

Pre-contact Polynesians did not know alcohol. They did use some botanical intoxicants, such as kava, but never seemed to figure out fermenting stuff to make alcohol.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-30 02:53 am   Permalink

Here on beautiful, exotic Guahan (Guam, USA) they make and sell their own local brand of Guam Rum. Though like every other island food marked 'Guam (item name)' it's probably really made the Philippines or Hawaii.

[ This Message was edited by: Wayfarer 2011-04-30 02:54 ]

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation