FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food what is your favorite ginger beer?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
what is your favorite ginger beer?
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-10 11:13 am   Permalink

I've had four Caribbean-brand ginger beers: Barritt's, Blue Sky, Gosling's, and Reed's. (haven't found Regatta anywhere).

Of these, I found the Blue Sky utterly repugnant; and the Reed's refreshing, but not gingery enough as it is sweetened with honey and pineapple. The Barritt's and Gosling's tasted remarkably similar, with the Gosling's having slightly more ginger bite and the Barritt's tasting slightly sweeter (fwiw, the Barritt's is sweetened with cane, while the Gosling's has the dreaded "all natural" corn syrup).

I tried these out in a Dark and Stormy-- I preferred the Barritt's, wife preferred the Gosling's.

what are your favorites; and, which makes the best (Egyptian recipe) Suffering Bastard??

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-10 12:19 pm   Permalink

I buy D&G Old Jamaican Ginger Beer from the 'International Foods' aisle at Krogers - 2 liters for $1.99 (made by the same company that makes Ting grapefruit soda). It is very gingery - quite a "bite". It is sweetened with sugar, not HFCS. Don't know how it compares to Gosling's, et al. Since it has such a strong ginger and lime taste, I use it as a base for a teriyaki marinade, too. Just add garlic and soy sauce.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-10 12:41 pm   Permalink

i tried that brand ages ago and found it to be suckyish, but i shall revisit and report back.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-10 5:51 pm   Permalink

I just concluded an experiment where I made dark n stormys with 2 different rums and 3 different ginger beers. The three ginger beers were Barritt's, Goslings, and Saranac. The rums I tried were the Gosling's Black Seal and Cruzan Blackstrap. The ginger beer I preferred was the Saranac. The rum I preferred was the Cruzan. Of the six combos my favorite was Cruzan Blackstrap with Saranac ginger beer.

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-10 8:20 pm   Permalink

kewl. ive used Myers's, Goslings, and Bacardi Select.

what recipe did you use?

nature boy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-11 05:33 am   Permalink

Porpoise,

Where can I locate your brands? I want to try some out.

View Profile of nature boy Send a personal message to nature boy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-11 09:27 am   Permalink

the Reed's seems to be in most grocery stores around here, often in the organics section, and at Whole Foods (i prefer the extra ginger Reed's which i've only seen here at Whole Foods).

the Gosling's i've found at ABC liquors and Total Wine and More, the Barritt's only at Total Wine and More so far. i think these are both bottled/canned in the US under Bermuda 'supervision,' so you may want to try your local liquor stores.

aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-11 12:57 pm   Permalink

I remember reading some detailed notes on ginger beer and related subjects over at Scottes Rum Pages. He used to post here occasionally too. Good mentions for Ginger People, Barritt's, and Reed's.

I use Cock & Bull since it's easy to get and pretty good. But I might not know what I'm missing with others I haven't tried. Probably the choice depends on what you're using it for - straight beverage, mixing with a dark rum, or mixing specifically with a "black" rum for a Dark & Stormy.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-11 1:02 pm   Permalink

altho a Dark and Stormy aint bad, i really like a Moscow Mule better- the vodka, lime and ginger really refresh.

tiknician

Posted: 2011-04-11 5:11 pm   Permalink

I have made a number of Dark 'n' Stormies, all using Gosling's Black Seal, but with a variety of ginger beers. Here are the results of my scientific research.

Fever Tree : good ginger bite, not too sweet, very pleasant drink.
Bundaberg : good ginger bite, a bit sweeter than Fever Tree, but not too much so. A little more carbonation than FT, which I think is good for a D&S.
Reed's Extra Ginger : I found this to be bland and unfocused compared to the others; I found it distinctly inferior (though I did finish my drink.)
Fentiman's : I have not tried this one yet, it's up next.

So, if I had to pick a favorite out of the ones I've tried so far, I would go with the Bundaberg. I would never complain about the Fever Tree, though.

Will post back once I've gotten around to the Fentiman's.

View Profile of tiknician Send a personal message to tiknician      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Kevin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 7:56 pm   Permalink

Give me Fentiman's or give me death.

Try the Fentiman's Curiousity Cola as well as it has a slight ginger taste. I'm using both in my next book.

[ This Message was edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-04-15 19:58 ]

View Profile of Kahuna Kevin Send a personal message to Kahuna Kevin  Email Kahuna Kevin Goto the website of Kahuna Kevin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 9:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-10 11:13, thePorpoise wrote:
what is your favorite ginger beer?

I prefer Mary Ale!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-26 06:44 am   Permalink

Maine Root Ginger Beer has phenomenal flavor. If you **really** love ginger -- I mean you don't mind so much ginger that it can almost burn a bit going down -- you should try this stuff. Our local food co-op carries it, but a higher end grocery store near you might carry it as well:
http://www.maineroot.com/products_gingerbrew.php

Mixes really well with the Kraken!

Cheers,
Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-26 08:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-26 06:44, rupe33 wrote:
Maine Root Ginger Beer has phenomenal flavor. If you **really** love ginger -- I mean you don't mind so much ginger that it can almost burn a bit going down -- you should try this stuff. Our local food co-op carries it, but a higher end grocery store near you might carry it as well:
http://www.maineroot.com/products_gingerbrew.php

Mixes really well with the Kraken!

Cheers,
Rupe

Maine Root mixed with Coruba Dark makes an awesome Dark & Stormy.

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CucamongaChango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-27 7:03 pm   Permalink

I like the Bundaberg pretty well... but for the mega-ginger BOOM, it's gotta be Cock & Bull.

View Profile of CucamongaChango Send a personal message to CucamongaChango      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation