FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food what is your favorite ginger beer?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
what is your favorite ginger beer?
Markm3

Posted: 2011-04-27 8:19 pm   Permalink

Another vote for bundaberg, my favorite for drinking on its own. Cock and bull has a bit of a burn from the ginger, which is fine for a drink, but is overpowering compared to somevrums (the kraken seems to stand up to it well.)

On a similar note, Cost Plus World Market has Polwell and Mahoney Ginger Syrup which has some bite. Ive experimented with adding it to 7up for a variation on the dark n stormy. Its good, but different.

View Profile of Markm3 Send a personal message to Markm3      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-30 5:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-04-10 11:13, thePorpoise wrote:
I've had four Caribbean-brand ginger beers: Barritt's, Blue Sky, Gosling's, and Reed's. (haven't found Regatta anywhere).

UPDATE-- ok, finally found Regatta. Also, revisited the grocery store JCS Jamaican Country Style. Bottom line-- Jamaican style sucks., Stick with bermudan style ginger beer. here are the conclusions from my lab experiments:

--Barritt's is slightly the sweetest, it works best in the DarkNstormy (key = the lime juice);

--Gosling has the heaviest ginger bite (no sweetness)-- works best in the Moscow Mule; and

--Regatta lies between the Barrit's and the Gosling i nterms of sweetness and ginger bite-- works th best in the Suffering Barsteward...

oh, the sacrifices my cocktail laboratory makes...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-10 10:46 pm   Permalink

my thoughts so far,
I've tried reed's extra, ginger people,fentiman's and cock & bull.
The rum's I used were meyer's dark and gosling's blackstrap.
The wahine and I both enjoyed the ginger people and fentiman's on there own but we'll stick with Reed's extra to drink on ice.
O.K. I have to say that that when I've tried gosling's before I wasn't pleased with it, I got an off root beerish flavor, so no surprise
I didn't like it with any of the ginger beers. Though we like meyer's (what can I say) I didn't really care for any of the drinks until we mixed it with cock & bull! The sweetness of it's sugar and a slight bitterness of it's strong ginger flavor won out and sold us on this drink!
I started out using to much lime ( I like lot's of lime juice in most drinks) but discovered that a standard wedge was enough.
So, though we started with a 1 to 1 ginger beer to rum ratio, were taken with a 1 1/2oz cock & bull to 1oz Meyers dark rum ratio, lime, crushed ice and yes, stir it!
exclamationally yours! , tikicoma!

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2011-05-10 22:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2011-05-10 22:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2011-05-10 22:55 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lente
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-11 1:44 pm   Permalink

I like making ginger beer. It only takes a couple of minutes of actual effort.

View Profile of Lente Send a personal message to Lente      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
venetis

Posted: 2011-05-19 04:35 am   Permalink

I like Olde Tyme Jamaican Style, It is healthy for health..

View Profile of venetis Send a personal message to venetis  Goto the website of venetis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-19 05:03 am   Permalink

Everyone is different I've tried all of the above posts ginger beer types and my favorite is Barritts, the others are not as sweet but for dark and stormy its the way to go. That said if you like the spicier ginger beer there are 3 types of http://www.blenheimgingerale.com/ - and the hot is hot. Its nice mix with what ever rum you choose. Fetterman(sp?) is also good but hard to find just like Barritts.

Reeds I feel has a bit of an "woody" after taste but it sorta depends on the rum use, and obviously the amount. I feel that the Goslings Ginger beer comes up short compared to the Barritts and seems like a goslings marketing - slap in the face to kinda thing from Goslings to Barritts - Bermuda style.

To each his or her own but if you get a chance try the Blenheim ginger ale all different flavors. Or stick with Barritts!(PS Facebook has a bunch of ginger beer / ale pages mostly public so you don't need to sign up to view)

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-09 8:32 pm   Permalink

finally got hold of the DG brand- very nice ginger bite with balanced sweetness. made a nice DarkNStormy.

First Jamaican brand I've sampled that I enjoyed...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-09 11:35 pm   Permalink

I didn't see this one mentioned, but I picked up a bottle for the first time yesterday at my local Fred Meyers and enjoyed it.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BlackieCarbon

Posted: 2012-05-29 11:48 am   Permalink

Reading this thread with interest from the UK. We have Fentiman's range, 'Botanically Brewed' etc. but the best by far available in UK is this brand - Crabbie's of Glasgow. They have been going since 1801 and are considered the masters of ginger beer here. As you can see in the pic they make the traditional 'cloudy' ginger beer, and also an 'alcoholic' one, which is dangerously drinkable. If you can't get it over there, I could hire a clipper and send a rescue mission...

View Profile of BlackieCarbon Send a personal message to BlackieCarbon  Email BlackieCarbon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation